Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
That'd be one of the heavy futures options. Boqvist as the "future core" guy, the 11th overall as the "helpful contributor", and the 2nd as just a nice bonus. (I'm not going to even dignify the other defenseman option with a response.)

It didn't seem heavy to me... Is Boqvist expected to be a top pair guy someday? Is he just interchangeable with Mitchell for them, as the deal might imply? I don't follow Hawks prospects much.

Now Reichel + 11thOA + 2nd and I'm down.

Reactions: Fro

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
It didn't seem heavy to me... Is Boqvist expected to be a top pair guy someday? Is he just interchangeable with Mitchell for them, as the deal might imply? I don't follow Hawks prospects much.

Now Reichel + 11thOA + 2nd and I'm down.
Saying it's one of Boqvist or Mitchell is akin to saying you can take your pick of Gavrikov or Harrington. Only much more so.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Lmao everyone on Reddit loves that deal for us. Consider me whelmed.

I think it’s funny that the reddit is very optimistic and upbeat (except after negative things happening) and this place is almost the exact opposite. It’s very polarizing going from there to here and vice versa

Reactions: Hello Johnny

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I think it’s funny that the reddit is very optimistic and upbeat (except after negative things happening) and this place is almost the exact opposite. It’s very polarizing going from there to here and vice versa

I'm optimistic and upbeat that we'll get a better deal than that.

If it's a rental deal ..boqvist and 1st works...but Chicago isn't a rental spot

My thoughts as well.

If I'm in Jarmo's position I'm telling every team that has any chance to extend Seth that we're not accepting any rental prices from them. If at the end of it we don't get something better than a rental price then send him to a team that wants to rent him and has no chance of extending him.

(Though I'll admit that I just don't know Boqvist, if he's a definite top pair stud then it's different).

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If I'm in Jarmo's position I'm telling every team that has any chance to extend Seth that we're not accepting any rental prices from them. If at the end of it we don't get something better than a rental price then send him to a team that wants to rent him and has no chance of extending him.

Hopeflly (and it is allowed under CBA) Jarmo lets teams talk to Seth. Assuming he is willing to talk. If he is seriously considering UFA he may not want to.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm amazed at how many people think Jones is overrated. I don't get it.

Well, after '17-'18 when he finished 4th in the Norris voting, the consensus became "this guy will one day win a Norris and should probably be in the top 5 or so of voting every season for awhile" and he's gotten worse since. So..."overrated" depends on where you think the consensus "rating" of him is. By his own admission, he had a bad season in '21.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014

There is a bit of a difference in 1 year @$5.4m with the chance to re-sign and 1 year @$5.4 + 8 years @ ~$9m or whatever. Of course, the more you narrow it down on teams he'd sign with, the more leverage you lose. Kind of a double-edged sword.

There may be other factors, but I think that's part of why you don't see a lot of sign-and-trades in the NHL.

EDIT - I'm curious what people think the return should be. Not a lot of big name Dmen have been moved in the situation Jones is in - 1 year left, moving in the offseason, top 15-20ish Dman in the league, etc. Trouba returned a prospect and 1st round pick, but he was an RFA who couldn't get a deal done with Winnipeg. Karlsson, of course, was the big blockbuster but he was at another level than where Jones is now. So at first glance, a 1st, a 2nd, and a prospect seems reasonable. Price could/should go up if it becomes a more guaranteed sign-and-trade type of thing.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
EDIT - I'm curious what people think the return should be. Not a lot of big name Dmen have been moved in the situation Jones is in - 1 year left, moving in the offseason, top 15-20ish Dman in the league, etc. Trouba returned a prospect and 1st round pick, but he was an RFA who couldn't get a deal done with Winnipeg. Karlsson, of course, was the big blockbuster but he was at another level than where Jones is now. So at first glance, a 1st, a 2nd, and a prospect seems reasonable. Price could/should go up if it becomes a more guaranteed sign-and-trade type of thing.

I'd say take the money and run on this offer. The Devil is in the Details per ususal-should be at least a "B" prospect. In fact, I'd think that an "A" or "B" prospect would be the sticking point of the (very fair) suggestion that you made. It's unreasonable to expect more than a 1st and a 2nd for him and a good prospect.

Every day Seth Jones remains a CBJ after training camp opens, his value declines. If the season starts and he's still on the roster, he's a distraction and not an asset to the team which will have a new coach and needs to be developing team cohesiveness and giving playing time to younger players.

It's like any other asset sale, if you hold on for top buck, you're taking a huge risk. Jones is not bargain rack material (obviously), but he's not the top-of-the-line-shiny-new Rolls Royce on the Dealership Floor. He's coming off two less than stellar seasons and is at an age where it's probable that his performance has peaked. The CBJ don't need to be left holding the bag on Jones. Get the deal done soon.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It's like any other asset sale, if you hold on for top buck, you're taking a huge risk. Jones is not bargain rack material (obviously), but he's not the top-of-the-line-shiny-new Rolls Royce on the Dealership Floor. He's coming off two less than stellar seasons and is at an age where it's probable that his performance has peaked. The CBJ don't need to be left holding the bag on Jones. Get the deal done soon.

We're trading him this summer, that much is assured. But this bit is probably wrong. D like him usually don't peak at age 24. More like 30. Norris winners are on average over 30. Seth Jones will probably bounce back sharply getting away from Torts' turtlefest and be an elite defender, and an absolute steal, for whoever acquires him.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
We're trading him this summer, that much is assured. But this bit is probably wrong. D like him usually don't peak at age 24. More like 30. Norris winners are on average over 30. Seth Jones will probably bounce back sharply getting away from Torts' turtlefest and be an elite defender, and an absolute steal, for whoever acquires him.
I still feel like JD/Jarmo might try to make some moves like an Eichel type trade and then talk to him again and emphasize their desire to turn this team into a winner. They're gonna do everything they can to keep him. Which scares me a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad