Seth Jones and his future (Sportsnet reports he intends to test free agency)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
I don't want to see a hangdog Seth Jones, I have too much respect for him and what he has done for the Blue Jackets. He is my favorite player but he needs to go to the highest bidder as soon as possible. Put in a kicker if he extends with that team, but make the move now. There are teams out there that really covet Seth Jones. They won't admit it until they have him, but they will be so much better putting him in for 20-30 minutes a night.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I don't want to see a hangdog Seth Jones, I have too much respect for him and what he has done for the Blue Jackets. He is my favorite player but he needs to go to the highest bidder as soon as possible. Put in a kicker if he extends with that team, but make the move now. There are teams out there that really covet Seth Jones. They won't admit it until they have him, but they will be so much better putting him in for 20-30 minutes a night.
I'm guessing we won't see any big trades until after the expansion draft. Teams have to be making decisions about players NOW. Apparently, teams have until July 17th to submit their lists and from that point until the expansion draft there is a trade freeze and only trades involving Seattle can take place. So unless Seattle is gonna send us 2nd OA, nothing is gonna happen before the draft.

New York Rangers key dates for Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

The Blueshirts and all other teams (except the Vegas Golden Knights) will need to submit their list of protected players to the league by 5 PM ET on July 17. What also should be understood is that there will be a trade freeze for every team but the Seattle Kraken.

Reactions: JacketsDavid

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Oop you got me. :laugh:

Yeah I'm enjoying hearing all of the rumors about the teams with beefy analytics departments trying hard to get Seth Jones.
Guys on NHL tonight were very high on Jones. Still consider him a potential Norris candidate and a top D. Top RHD which is more rare. They also felt Jarmo will pull a deal with a team that will extend him and value goes up even more

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Guys on NHL tonight were very high on Jones. Still consider him a potential Norris candidate and a top D. Top RHD which is more rare. They also felt Jarmo will pull a deal with a team that will extend him and value goes up even more
We can only hope :nod:

Reactions: LJ7201

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm guessing we won't see any big trades until after the expansion draft. Teams have to be making decisions about players NOW. Apparently, teams have until July 17th to submit their lists and from that point until the expansion draft there is a trade freeze and only trades involving Seattle can take place. So unless Seattle is gonna send us 2nd OA, nothing is gonna happen before the draft.

New York Rangers key dates for Seattle Kraken Expansion Draft

The Blueshirts and all other teams (except the Vegas Golden Knights) will need to submit their list of protected players to the league by 5 PM ET on July 17. What also should be understood is that there will be a trade freeze for every team but the Seattle Kraken.

This is more suited for the Expansion Draft thread, but it's wild to me that since entering the league, Vegas has the 4th-best point % in the regular season and the 2nd-most playoff wins...and they don't have to give up a player to Seattle.

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
This is more suited for the Expansion Draft thread, but it's wild to me that since entering the league, Vegas has the 4th-best point % in the regular season and the 2nd-most playoff wins...and they don't have to give up a player to Seattle.

Vegas is Bettman's baby. Because of him, the NHL became the 1st of the 4 major sports leagues in the States to have a team there. He wants them to be good at all costs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He wants them to be good at all costs.

Or, conversely, he's willing to let them be good if they pay the costs. Foley was willing to pay $500m+ to the league. What did the Jackets pay? $150m? I don't remember.

The league gets a huge amount of cash and suddenly has a change of heart about how to go about the expansion process - surprise, surprise.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Friedman CBJ Seth Jones nugget:

Just don't know what the Flyers have to offer that would beat other teams. They would obviously offer the 13th overall and Patrick as part of packages but that just doesn't do a lot for me.
Confident it'll be 13th + York + Patrick

Let's just see if we add or they add to it, because it's hard to evaluate Patrick

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Philly is hoping to move a salary in the expansion draft (Voracek for 3 years or JVR for 2 years).
They also need a 1A or 1B goalie to team up with Hart.
Philly is worried that Seattle's new coach prefers grinders to offensive talent, so perhaps if Seattle passes on Jake or JVR there is a deal to be had. Especially since Philly appears to have almost all of it's draft picks for next 3 years.

Maybe Jones and Korpi goes to Philly. I would even throw in a mid-level forward.
We take back 75% of salary of Jake (I am assuming here he harbors no ill will towards us trading him) and we take a #1 (maybe wait until 2022) and a 2md/3rd round pick. Then I would take a run at Nolan Patrick (RFA). He's never produced in the NHL but intriguing guy who plays Center.

Philly gets their dman and goalie (they have Hart that they hope is their guy long term) plus a cost controlled forward (TBD from our roster).
We get a good player in Jake, another project in Nolan and a #1 and #2/#3 pick. If Jake doesn't work out you can always flip him.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Philly is hoping to move a salary in the expansion draft (Voracek for 3 years or JVR for 2 years).
Philly is worried that Seattle's new coach prefers grinders to offensive talent, so perhaps if Seattle passes on Jake or JVR there is a deal to be had. Especially since Philly appears to have almost all of it's draft picks for next 3 years.

Maybe Jones and Korpi goes to Philly. I would even throw in a mid-level forward.
We take back 75% of salary of Jake (I am assuming here he harbors no ill will towards us trading him) and we take a #1 (maybe wait until 2022) and a 2md/3rd round pick. Then I would take a run at Nolan Patrick (RFA). He's never produced in the NHL but intriguing guy who plays Center.

Philly gets their dman and goalie (they have Hart that they hope is their guy long term) plus a cost controlled forward (TBD from our roster).
We get a good player in Jake, another project in Nolan and a #1 and #2/#3 pick. If Jake doesn't work out you can always flip him.

Honestly, this makes me want to throw up.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Jarmo better make sure Philly pays a bit extra. We are (likely) back in the same division with the Flyers next season. Always make your divisional opponents pay more.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio

That's horrible. If i read this correctly, you're sending both Jones AND Korpi (two best trade chips) for an old, useless to CBJ voracek, a pick and a reclamation project. All within division? Are you a Flyers fan?

No point in taking Jake and if Philly needs to shed that costs compensation, not charity. Jones gets futures not 30 year olds and he brings in 3 pieces, good ones, alone. Maybe you brought Caleb on a separate deal and moving him with Korpi?

Really, this is a bad one

Reactions: thebus88

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Philly’s going to have to pay a stupidly high price if the want Jones. They just don’t have the high end pieces we’re going to want.

Konecny + Myers + Frost + 13th OA for Jones + Korpisalo

Reactions: CPTN71 and Xoggz22

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
That's horrible. If i read this correctly, you're sending both Jones AND Korpi (two best trade chips) for an old, useless to CBJ voracek, a pick and a reclamation project. All within division? Are you a Flyers fan?

No point in taking Jake and if Philly needs to shed that costs compensation, not charity. Jones gets futures not 30 year olds and he brings in 3 pieces, good ones, alone. Maybe you brought Caleb on a separate deal and moving him with Korpi?

Really, this is a bad one

How much value to you think Korpi has? He's a below average NHL starter. If that is our 2nd best trade chip then we are screwed. There are always goalies available via free agency that potentially can be 1B guys. Korpi may be slightly better than that but not much.

Philly and most of these teams will need cap room for Jones. We're going to take someone back. I think you can bet on that. Maybe not Philly (and Jake or JVR) but LA, Colorado someone will have to send us back a salary to make Jones fit.

In this case I said Philly keeps 25% so we're paying Jake $6.2M. If you want immediately flip him (he does have some value to other teams especially if we then retain 25-50% of his salary in another deal) you can do that. My thought was keep him and if the young kids play him out of the top 6 then move him.

No I'm not a flyers fan.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
How much value to you think Korpi has? He's a below average NHL starter. If that is our 2nd best trade chip then we are screwed. There are always goalies available via free agency that potentially can be 1B guys. Korpi may be slightly better than that but not much.

Philly and most of these teams will need cap room for Jones. We're going to take someone back. I think you can bet on that. Maybe not Philly (and Jake or JVR) but LA, Colorado someone will have to send us back a salary to make Jones fit.

In this case I said Philly keeps 25% so we're paying Jake $6.2M. If you want immediately flip him (he does have some value to other teams especially if we then retain 25-50% of his salary in another deal) you can do that. My thought was keep him and if the young kids play him out of the top 6 then move him.

No I'm not a flyers fan.

we’re not trading Jones to a division rival for an old cap dump and a first rounder. This post doesn’t make your initial proposal any better.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Philly’s going to have to pay a stupidly high price if the want Jones. They just don’t have the high end pieces we’re going to want.

Konecny + Myers + Frost + 13th OA for Jones + Korpisalo
Except Korpi (I would still let him) I like your idea. But I think Philly wants to move Patrick and Gostisbehere (maybe Seattle would help) Besides if trade Konecny Flyers need RW. So IMHO more probably:
Jones, Bemstrom - Konecny, Patrick, Myers/Gostisbehere, 13 OA. Although I don't believe Philly would want to give its 1th round pick. And I wouldn't be happy from Gostisbehere, nobody knows Patrick's health conditions.

Last edited:

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I can tell you from the flyers fan perspective that York is almost surely not going to be in any deal with an impending free agent coming back. Fletcher even stated before he was almost untouchable.

I think they are just after Jones. Myers might be in the package due to the expansion draft. Other than that have no idea.

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
I can tell you from the flyers fan perspective that York is almost surely not going to be in any deal with an impending free agent coming back. Fletcher even stated before he was almost untouchable.

I think they are just after Jones. Myers might be in the package due to the expansion draft. Other than that have no idea.
There is no Jones without York… about 99% of us CBJ fans on here see no fit with your team in a Jones trade unless you guys are prepared to pay massively.

Reactions: DJA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad