Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
Hawks have a better record against us than the rest of the league though, and that includes Crawford's stats, and Crawford has great playoff numbers as well. Basically if the McDavid line sputters and the refs put whistles away, the Hawks could put a scare into us. I still say we are the strong favorites, but there are issues. We aren't a fully formed contender yet.

And the obvious point is that Smith is getting to an age where he could fall off in a hurry. It might already be happening.

Smith, Koskinen and Crawford are all streaky goalies and could either play well or completely stink. Edmonton has an edge in being able to swap goalies, Chicago trading Lehner could really end up hurting them

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
If Smith plays the way he did for Calgary in last years playoffs and how he played for Arizona when they were a playoff team, we have nothing to worry about in net.

Smith, Koskinen and Crawford are all streaky goalies and could either play well or completely stink. Edmonton has an edge in being able to swap goalies, Chicago trading Lehner could really end up hurting them

As long as Smith isn't a cowboy playing the puck I think he is the right choice for game 1.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
It's a pretty common assumption that penalties go down in the playoffs. I think it comes from the huge change in intensity that makes it seem like things don't get called very often. But that same change in intensity still generates more over all calls.
They have a tendency to call the chintzy stuff more often but let the physicality slide. But without the fan input, I'm interested to see how the games get called.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
Because for the most part we have been a one line team. We need to get Connors line going without splitting up the Drai line. Staple AA and Kassian to him through this whole thing and see how they do.
AA might be an asset on Connors line too. He just came from Chicago didn't he? Maybe he has something up his sleeve.

Edit, sorry. It might be Detroit I am thinking of. Whoops.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think

Ennis McDavid Kassian
RNH Drai Yamamoto
Athansiou Khaira Neal
Chiasson Sheahan Archibald
Nygard Haas

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Russell Green
Jones Benning

Smith
Koskinen

Are your lineups to start and then they'll make some adjustments as needed.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
I think

Ennis McDavid Kassian
RNH Drai Yamamoto
Athansiou Khaira Neal
Chiasson Sheahan Archibald
Nygard Haas

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Russell Green
Jones Benning

Smith
Koskinen

Are your lineups to start and then they'll make some adjustments as needed.
This is pretty close to my guess. I might swap Ennis and AA depending on how they do in practice but yeah, I think you nailed it.

McDavids line is 2nd line in this scenario also.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Can I be cryogenically frozen until the playoffs/season start?
I’ve been watching all sorts of highlights, including Eberle’s first goal and Yakupov’s slide... the Oilers have changed a lot over the years but one thing that is constant is the fans.

We’ve had some shit times together but we now have two of the best hockey players in the world to show for it. Please help us through these odd times Oilers with some good hockey :)
Edit: Born in the 90s, I never got the Cup experience!

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Can I be cryogenically frozen until the playoffs/season start?
I’ve been watching all sorts of highlights, including Eberle’s first goal and Yakupov’s slide... the Oilers have changed a lot over the years but one thing that is constant is the fans.

We’ve had some shit times together but we now have two of the best hockey players in the world to show for it. Please help us through these odd times Oilers with some good hockey :)
Edit: Born in the 90s, I never got the Cup experience!
I was born in the early 80s and have memories of the last couple cups, but I would appreciate it a lot more today.

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
ZomboMeme 07072020212223.jpg

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
the Hawks give up the most shots in the league and give up a ton of high-danger chances

if they win, it will be on the back of Corey Crawford (and Kane)

Yeah, I think most people think this is the case. Kane has the ability to just absolutely dominate a team, and has done so against us in the past. We really need to focus on shutting him down, and there should be a whole game plan built around that. The Hawks are not so lucky, with 97 and 29 on separate lines, so they have to pick their poison.

Paperbagofglory

Nov 15, 2010
They have a tendency to call the chintzy stuff more often but let the physicality slide. But without the fan input, I'm interested to see how the games get called.

There is a pandemic happening where a lot of people did not wanted players from multiple countries coming to our city and risk breaking the bubble and cause more numbers to spike up, plenty of people are not happy Edmonton was chosen. Knowing this and how biases work, the fact that Edmonton said yes to the NHL's sketchy concessions regarding not testing asymptomatic and the fact that Calgary was never an option based on the numbers and most places in the States was not an option because of the uptick in numbers. Factoring all of this in, the refs will be biased against our opponents for the most part. The calls will go towards the Oilers, especially since if the numbers in the bubble keep growing and if NHL players are going to be irresponsible the Alberta government can shut them down at anytime, and since a lot of knuckleheads need a distraction and sports is a big one, the league will do everything in their power to suck up to Edmonton.

Either way you can agree or disagree but biased reffing exists in pro sports, its not right even when it benefits your own home team. If this theory sounds crazy, i will bump this up after the Oilers beat the hawks, and who knows maybe i will be very wrong.

Last edited:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
IMO you try to build chemistry between AA-McDavid-Kassian in camp. This is a much easier situation for AA to get acclimated with the team, basically a reboot.

AA-McDavid-Kassian
RNH-Draisaitl-Yamamoto
Nygard-Sheahan-Archibald
Khaira-Haas-Neal
Chiasson, Ennis

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Bear
Jones-Green

Smith
Koskinen

Khaira gets the nod because of his PKing, Jones gets the nod because of his puck moving over Russell.

Exact same lines I’d go with.

I’m torn on Benning or Green on the 3rd pairing. I thought Benning and Jones were decent together.

I’d really like a line of AA-McDavid-Kassian to work out and get chemistry. That is the fastest line in the NHL if it all clicks.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
that's definitely an advantage we have. Also, I've noticed that having a great back up is an underrated factor in the playoffs. I've noticed that teams that go deep often were ones that got a great back up. Like when Washington went and got Grabuaer, that was the year they got the cup.

But still, I think if we had Crawford, no way would we play our guys over him. No offense to our guys

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Key is finding McD’s LW. Could be RNH, Ennis, Neal or AA. I hope for AA as more speed adds another dimension to that line. Neal, Chiasson and Khaira have that heavy playoff feel especially versus Chicago’s defence. Expect Haas and Nygard later when competition is faster. Same with D. Russell and Green to start with Jones arriving to provide faster puck mover. I don’t see JJ, Neal and AA getting out of their end.

Reactions: KYams17

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
There is a pandemic happening where a lot of people did not wanted players from multiple countries coming to our city and risk breaking the bubble and cause more numbers to spike up, plenty of people are not happy Edmonton was chosen. Knowing this and how biases work, the fact that Edmonton said yes to the NHL's sketchy concessions regarding not testing asymptomatic and the fact that Calgary was never an option based on the numbers and most places in the States was not an option because of the uptick in numbers. Factoring all of this in, the refs will be biased against our opponents for the most part. The calls will go towards the Oilers, especially since if the numbers in the bubble keep growing and if NHL players are going to be irresponsible the Alberta government can shut them down at anytime, and since a lot of knuckleheads need a distraction and sports is a big one, the league will do everything in their power to suck up to Edmonton.

Either way you can agree or disagree but biased reffing exists in pro sports, its not right even when it benefits your own home team. If this theory sounds crazy, i will bump this up after the Oilers beat the hawks, and who knows maybe i will be very wrong.

Don't know about this, but I bet the league doesn't want any part of the Oilers winning the lottery, so I'm confident we'll get straight up officiating in the preliminary round, beyond that who knows.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
So Seabrook might be playing. He’s so terrible now.

Tippett better have McDavid on the ice whenever cement boots Seabrook is out there. Ass Eatn Szn with that matchup.
was Seabrook's surgery an elective surgery though? Sometimes those can revive a career

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

NHL 20 Simulation

• Game 1: CHI [3] – [0] EDM

Game 2: CHI [4] – [1] EDM

Game 3: EDM [4] – [3] CHI (OT)

Game 4: CHI [3] – [0] EDM

:eek:

Status