Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
What is TFP and who are these people? Never heard of a single one of them. Tried even googling. Its like they don't exist. heh

The Fourth Period, a US based hockey journalism site like the Athletic but no fees and focuses only on hockey.

The Fourth Period

I don't know the other writers other than Ward but David Pagnotta is a very respected and well known hockey journalist and one of the hosts and analysts on the NHL network on Sirius satellite radio which I listen to a lot.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod?s=20

I got his predictions from his twitter yesterday not that they mean anything but I thought it would be interesting to post and create some conversation.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
d6I0cmK2UOX0Jkcoml-sjM-_oxqA9LmOXlxpSCtw4BSY9OUiXzsHlZJ8c-zF9jk0ZrVbmrzDlr7DkI7uFkTGPA1JNsuW6GGHby7o58DDNEFA6SvUgkNLiYHkjASg2pPm_Lf29LzIQ1dNi8QhxaXBFThLKj1AZBA8
Can't see.

This one too.

It's the @BlackMcDog situation all over again.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Real talk re: rats in Alberta, a good friend of mine owns a bunch of land North of Loyd and East of Two Hills.

I've legit seen the rat defense team come out of the woodwork. It's bizarre, some real Ghostbusters shit... Like three panel Vans will just roll up with dudes in weird costumes sometimes and do their thing. Not really sure how they operate, how one would defend against rats, or get random intelligence to act on... But they're a legit thing.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Real talk re: rats in Alberta, a good friend of mine owns a bunch of land North of Loyd and East of Two Hills.

I've legit seen the rat defense team come out of the woodwork. It's bizarre, some real Ghostbusters shit... Like three panel Vans will just roll up with dudes in weird costumes sometimes and do their thing. Not really sure how they operate, how one would defend against rats, or get random intelligence to act on... But they're a legit thing.

Let them know a giant red one was spotted in Calgary.

Reactions: Rodd from Leduc

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
The Fourth Period, a US based hockey journalism site like the Athletic but no fees and focuses only on hockey.

The Fourth Period

I don't know the other writers other than Ward but David Pagnotta is a very respected and well known hockey journalist and one of the hosts and analysts on the NHL network on Sirius satellite radio which I listen to a lot.

I got his predictions from his twitter yesterday not that they mean anything but I thought it would be interesting to post and create some conversation.

OT for this thread but I clicked on the instagram post updating the construction of the Islanders' new Belmont Park Arena and there's a cool image showing the arena next to the race track. If the Islanders ever make it back to the Stanley Cup Final it would be pretty cool having the Belmont Stakes in early June coincide with an Islanders home game in the Finals.

Regarding those predictions...

2020 Playoffs: Qualifying Round Predictions — The Fourth Period

I don't get how 7 out of 8 analysts picked the Rangers over the Canes. Panarin isn't going to will that team to victory by himself, regardless of Carolina's goaltending. I'm not saying the Rangers don't have a chance but only one pick for Carolina is curious to me.

I also think the Jackets are going to make the center of the universe implode, but I at least understand 5 of 8 picking the Leafs. 3 out of 8 picking the Hawks is the next weirdest one to me.

While the Jets were rolling when play stopped I don't think it's a slam dunk they beat the Flames. The Jets are streaky and if they go cold Hellebuyck is going to have to steal wins. Just because the Flames didn't have many regulation wins doesn't mean they can't score in playoff overtime either. I'm hoping for a sweep by the Jets, but only one pick for the Flames surprised me a bit too.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
OT for this thread but I clicked on the instagram post updating the construction of the Islanders' new Belmont Park Arena and there's a cool image showing the arena next to the race track. If the Islanders ever make it back to the Stanley Cup Final it would be pretty cool having the Belmont Stakes in early June coincide with an Islanders home game in the Finals.

I don't get how 7 out of 8 analysts picked the Rangers over the Canes. Panarin isn't going to will that team to victory by himself, regardless of Carolina's goaltending. I'm not saying the Rangers don't have a chance but only one pick for Carolina is curious to me.

I also think the Jackets are going to make the center of the universe implode, but I at least understand 5 of 8 picking the Leafs. 3 out of 8 picking the Hawks is the next weirdest one to me.

While the Jets were rolling when play stopped I don't think it's a slam dunk they beat the Flames. The Jets are streaky and if they go cold Hellebuyck is going to have to steal wins. Just because the Flames didn't have many regulation wins doesn't mean they can't score in playoff overtime either. I'm hoping for a sweep by the Jets, but only one pick for the Flames surprised me a bit too.

those guys love the Canucks and Jets...no respect for the Wild or Flames

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The Fourth Period

Thanks man. They should work on their exposure. Googled TFP and it didn't even hit. Googled some of the authors and no hits to them.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton

I think the Rags were 4-0 against CAR this year.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
I think the Rags were 4-0 against CAR this year.

I'm aware of that stat, but they relied on 45, 41 and 39 save performances from Lundqvist in 3 of those victories, and while you expect their offense to be there I don't know that they should expect their PP to go 33% and have the Canes' PP go 13% like it did in the regular season series when the teams' PP% for the year were 22.9% and 22.3% respectively. I think the big question will be whether Carolina's offense shows up because if it doesn't they're toast and if it does I think the Rangers are in trouble.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Credit to Alex Thomas

G1 - August 1 1:00
G2 - August 3 8:30
G3 - August 5 8:30
I really can’t see the Oilers getting the late games, those are 9:30 starts Chicago time and they’re gonna want to capitalize on that tv market since that’s likely the prime series in the US. But who knows, I’d love to be wrong about that so I don’t have to miss the first half of the games.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
I really can’t see the Oilers getting the late games, those are 9:30 starts Chicago time and they’re gonna want to capitalize on that tv market since that’s likely the prime series in the US. But who knows, I’d love to be wrong about that so I don’t have to miss the first half of the games.

Most of the 4:30 MT games will be round robin games. In theory for competitive reasons, teams will have various time slots.

All the West series have a Central time zone team playing in it, so 9:30 pm starts are unavoidable for Central teams.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad