Pre-Game Talk: Series Discussion: WC Qualifier - Edmonton Oilers (5) vs. Chicago Blackhawks (12)

Who wins the series?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
extralarge.png

vs.

extralarge.png

--

Is hockey back? Looks like it is.

upload_2020-7-10_18-25-25.png

--

Some interesting facts:

The Oilers last played the Blackhawks in the playoffs in 1992. The Blackhawks swept them.

The Oilers beat the Blackhawks in the Conference Finals 4-2 in 1990, and twice more in the 1980's.

Edmonton is 12-8 all-time vs. Chicago in the playoffs.

(Go to 8:56 if you want to see some Gretzky mastery, and then another reminder of his Top 5 all-time slapshot at 9:20. Seriously, who turns around on a dime and slaps it top corner all in one motion? RIP Don Wittman, one of the all time PBP greats.)

(Damn, that is a good anthem singer. Wayne Messmer.)

Blackhawks at oilers 1990 opening

(Classic HNIC.)

--

Who wins?

Last edited:

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
I know it will be discussed ad nauseam, is it fair that we have to play "play-in games". My take it might be better to get going vs. a 12th ranked Hawks instead of goin in to the playoffs cold and rusty.

If we don't beat 'em we don't have any place in the playoffs.

But is it fair? No!

Other than that, what is our statline vs the Hawks this season?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
So this isn’t the regular season, but it’s also not technically the playoffs, right? Will the stats not really exist?

What I’m getting at is I want McDavid to hit 100 points.

I think it's as much playoffs as the WC play-in game is in MLB.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I like our chances better in a 5 game series than a 3. While people fear Kane, here are my worries.

Goaltending worries me if Crawford is on form, but I don't know that goaltending is our strength in any series.

We were buyers this year and our new guys didn't get time to get used to the system and linemates. I think Athanasiou especially will need light minutes to start. Chicago's group might have more rhythm.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I imagine the team will honour Colby Cave in this playoff run. I'm guessing there will be a jersey patch and/or helmet sticker. Wondering if his family would appreciate us doing something like all of us having a "For Colby" Avatar with his picture (I'm unfortunately not the one to make that). Is that too much? Thoughts?

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
I think we match up well against Chicago. Don't love this play-in scenario but if we can't beat Chicago then we weren't beating anyone.

I absolutely want to see a switch of draft positions if we're allowing them to have this dance off with us. Poor incentive for the higher seeded teams. Show some clout Elliot.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
The "nice" thing about this is that should we beat Chicago, we go into Dallas immediately after. We somehow ended up away from the rest of the Pacific, which is a far easier path than the Central.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
If we don't beat 'em we don't have any place in the playoffs.

But is it fair? No!

What is the fairest solution for the league overall? Seems like a tough question, but extended playoffs seem like the best way to manage all the competing interests.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hawks have a pretty bombed out lineup so that's good. What players did they get rid of at TDL. I don't follow them too much. Weird to face a clear non playoff club that is in a clear rebuild situation.

btw that 92 series was a sad time. In 91 the Oilers got spanked in 2nd round by Minnesota North Stars. In 92 Hawks turned the trick. You knew it was over at that point. That we were headed to pretty clear also ran times. Who would know we'd rarely even be in the playoffs since over 27years.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Oilers win now easy. What happened to the Blackhawks? Still so much talent and good goaltending and they still suck. I don’t get it.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
The "nice" thing about this is that should we beat Chicago, we go into Dallas immediately after. We somehow ended up away from the rest of the Pacific, which is a far easier path than the Central.

I assume sarcasm? I would much rather be playing through the Pacific in a regular format. With the Covid 19 situation, normal is not on the table unfortunately. I'll take hockey/playoffs however I can get it.

Having said that I have some concerns. I'm a bit of a conspiracy theory guy. It's no conspiracy that the current rumored format is mostly constructed to increase TV viewership from original 6 fanbases like Chicago and Montreal. That's a given. What I'm worried about is how far the nhl is going to "push/fix" the game to get those teams to go deep into the playoffs. We all know the last time the Oilers played playoff games the refs were like an extra forward for the California teams. I can't even imagine how lopsided the officiating will be for the Hawks in this series if this happens.

I will be very happy to see the Oilers play some playoff games but I have a feeling the level of frustration will potentially offset that. I feel the Oilers match up well against the Hawks and in terms of ease I would rather play them than the Nucks or Flames for example. Other than the Hawks tho I'd rather work through the Pacific. If we lose to the Hawks, especially due to officiating, in a "preliminary" series that would be tough to take.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad