Post-Game Talk: Series Discussion: Stars @ Blues

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I've enjoyed reading this thread although it is very similar to Preds fans thinking this will be a short one. Will be a hell of a series and should go 6 or 7.

We're not underestimating you guys. Just not scared.

This will be a war, no doubt. :nod:

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
My prediction for the Jets series was spot on, so I guess I'll do this again.

Since January 16th (for the purposes of bringing the games played closer)

Green
= Significant advantage in this category
Blue = Nearly even in this category
Black = No significant advantage or disadvantage in this category
Red = Significant disadvantage in this category

GPGFGAShots forShots againstPP%PK%FOW%
Blues378th3rd3rd6th5th7th17th
Stars3526th2nd19th15th10th11th10th
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Goaltending is pretty much a wash. Both goaltenders have been phenomenal. Very similar numbers.

It's difficult to compare playoff stats because it's such a small sample size and because you're playing the same team every game, so there's a matchup factor. I think the Blues had a tougher matchup for what it's worth.

The Stars have had trouble scoring in 2019, but they make up for it with solid defense and Vezina caliber goaltending. Without Bishop in net, they're an abysmal 16-17-5 despite Khudobin having a solid .923 Sv% in those 38 games.

The Blues have a stronger offense and more scoring depth. The Stars are a very top heavy team and rely on their big guns to carry them. Benn, Seguin, Radulov, Zuccarello, Klingberg and Heiskenan are all threats offensively, as well as Lindell chipping in from time to time. Beyond that, they are extremely thin. Shut down their top guns and you shut down their offense altogether. Force them to try to get scoring from their bottom 6 and they are in trouble.

Based on these statistics and observations, I expect offense to be the main deciding factor. Which teams' offense can break through? Can the Stars' top guns carry the load? Can the Blues' depth take advantage of the Stars' lack thereof? Which offense can figure out the opposing goalie?

Personally, I find the Stars to be a lesser team than the Jets, and we have home ice of top of that. I think Binnington and the Blues can shut down most of the Stars' top guys. Benn is who scares me the most, I think he will be the key player for them as well as Klingberg. Tarasenko will be our key player, as well as Pietrangelo. I predict the Blues win the series in 6 games. Without Bishop I'd say we take it in 5, but I think he'll steal at least one. I wouldn't be surprised if it went 7, either... if we fail to find our offense. My pick is officially 6 games, though. My pick for the difference maker of the series is Vladimir Tarasenko.

Last edited:

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
Well the two teams decided for us and it is Dallas. They won’t be easy to beat, but I think we’ll give them quite a series! My prediction is we win in 6 games again. But this another that I wouldn’t be surprised to see go to a game 7. Hopefully we’ll have a bit more success on home ice this series and continue our great road playoff record!

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I've enjoyed reading this thread although it is very similar to Preds fans thinking this will be a short one. Will be a hell of a series and should go 6 or 7.
Only 17 posts were made from the time Dallas clinched against Nashville, but whatever you gotta tell yourself.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
How many shot attempts do you think he'll need to be put in a position to win the series for us?
I'm not sure I can put a specific number on that, but I will say that Tarasenko does not need too many clean looks against the Stars. The only team I'd want him playing against more than the Stars is the Hawks. He seems to raise his game against both of those teams. I expect at least 3 goals from him this series, all big goals.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'm not sure I can put a specific number on that, but I will say that Tarasenko does not need too many clean looks against the Stars. The only team I'd want him playing against more than the Stars is the Hawks. He seems to raise his game against both of those teams. I expect at least 3 goals from him this series, all big goals.

Head says 3, heart says 7.

Edit: Why not 10? :laugh:

Last edited:

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Nashville went 0/14 (!!!) in the series on the power play. I know their PP was like 12% in the regular season, but that is remarkable. Hopefully the Blues can fare better.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Thursday most likely Game 1?
It's difficult to speculate, but for the game to be on Thursday then we probably need the schedule released at some point in the next 24 hours.

If Brooklyn are eliminated from the NBA playoffs tonight then that makes everything a lot easier, and we could see the second round schedule released tonight.

Reactions: RaleighBlues

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
What?

Your reading comprehension sucks. If anything, we wanted to play the Preds. They are an easier nut to crack. This will be a tough series against the Stars. Now back to your forum.

Dec 15, 2002
This is the kind of series we should win, and historically we find ways to piss it away. Given how the playoffs are setting up, it's looking like a great path to at least the finals for us. Again, historically we've found ways to piss that away.

Maybe this year is different, but I'm holding low hopes until this team shows otherwise.

ChillWill1

Nov 28, 2017
Soooooo this is the Dallas board and they think we’re a cocky fan base. I don’t where in the hell that came from LOL. Also I think they don’t like Binnington and I don’t know why :laugh:
Let's ****ing go

Blues fans are cocky as hell about their team so I really hope we can shut them up this series

lmao at Binnington being the greatest goalie of all time because of 30 games

Has no one in St. Louis ever bothered to look up Andrew Hammond, who had an eerily similar season to Binnington? He's really the only comparison, and look where he is now. Matt Murray 2.0 my ass.

Beat those cocky, arrogant *****ebag of a fanbase please guys.. :)

If Game 6 was a sign of what Bishop is bringing to the St. Louis Series then the Blues might as well just stay home

He can be rattled. He definitely has a temper. Get in his face, Crash the net, A snow shower here and there. Dallas will see Jake Allen in no time.

Yes.

I really have no idea how anyone thinks Binnington is just as likely to play well as Bishop is. Both should have a good series, but Binnington is absolutely a riskier player to rely on.

Not even 5 hours since we win and I already want nothing more than to see Binnington get pulled at any point in this series.

Halak Ness Monster

Nov 11, 2010
St. Louis, MO
The Stars are MUCH better than when we played them in 2016. However, so are we.

I’m really not that afraid of Dallas. They’re a one line team up front and their strength is our strength.

I see no area where they have an edge over us.

Blues in 6.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Yeah when I think, "cocky and arrogant" I totally think of this Blues fan base what with all our tremendous success and constant trash talking opponents. Wait, that doesn't actually happen. Come to think of it we don't typically trash talk even when our team is really destroying everyone. It's almost like that's a total fabrication by a Stars fan who can't read English.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
I think more than half of us think Dallas will be a serious challenger...just like the Jets. So what's in the water in Dallas to make them so agitated?

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Meh I wouldn’t read too much of their board. It’s a team board for a reason.

Let them think Binnington is an easily cracked riddle. Hopefully he can get in the head of the Stars players like he clearly already has LatvianTwist.

Let them think because one team had an epic failure of a PP that all teams facing them will.

Let them be cocky and confident and disparaging.

One of my favorite sayings is the Lion doesn’t concern itself with the opinion of sheep.

If the Blues are indeed the Lion we hope and believe them to be, it doesn’t really matter what they think.

I’ve got Blues in 7.

AjaxManifesto

Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Yeah when I think, "cocky and arrogant" I totally think of this Blues fan base what with all our tremendous success and constant trash talking opponents. Wait, that doesn't actually happen. Come to think of it we don't typically trash talk even when our team is really destroying everyone. It's almost like that's a total fabrication by a Stars fan who can't read English.

52 years of waiting...

That ain't cocky you Dallas fans...some people call it masochism.

Reactions: Amberelise

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad