Serie A 2018/2019

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Damn... that was pretty disappointing.

I said it last week, but I'll say it again, we need a LCB in the worst way. Fazio is garbage.

Our defense is beginning to show it's true lack of quality now that Alisson is gone, which is what I feared.

Still early days, but EDF has his work cut out for him. Lots of kids to develop and some underperforming vets , atm.

While I do agree Fazio and the CB pairing in general is trash... it's hard to blame them for todays match. Roma offered little up front and were happy to concede possession without pressing. They gave up the goal laaaate and Fazio scored the only goal. So, pretty harsh.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
While I do agree Fazio and the CB pairing in general is trash... it's hard to blame them for todays match. Roma offered little up front and were happy to concede possession without pressing. They gave up the goal laaaate and Fazio scored the only goal. So, pretty harsh.

I thought Fazio was one the worst players on the pitch , who just happened to score. Manolas wasn't great either.

That late goal was because of Nzonzi's awful pass , I don't really blame the CB's for that.

It's just been a carry over from my frustrations with Fazio all year. He's been dreadful , and he's some how slower (dunno how that's possible) and making really bad mistakes. He's been much better than I ever expected , and a massive bargain -- but we got him for like 3m from Spurs for a reason. Eventually, you just need to get a damn upgrade. Serie A is rapidly improving , we've got to be constantly getting better ourselves.

CB has to be at the top of Monchi's wish list going into the winter -- it just has to be. We need a legit stud back there.

There's obviously more issues with the club, but with all the new faces , and relying on youth, I expected growing/integration pains. I just didn't expect Fazio to be this bad, though.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
I thought Fazio was one the worst players on the pitch , who just happened to score. Manolas wasn't great either.

That late goal was because of Nzonzi's awful pass , I don't really blame the CB's for that.

It's just been a carry over from my frustrations with Fazio all year. He's been dreadful , and he's some how slower (dunno how that's possible) and making really bad mistakes. He's been much better than I ever expected , and a massive bargain -- but we got him for like 3m from Spurs for a reason. Eventually, you just need to get a damn upgrade. Serie A is rapidly improving , we've got to be constantly getting better ourselves.

CB has to be at the top of Monchi's wish list going into the winter -- it just has to be. We need a legit stud back there.

There's obviously more issues with the club, but with all the new faces , and relying on youth, I expected growing/integration pains. I just didn't expect Fazio to be this bad, though.

I'd guess Roma has to sell someone before buying another CB, you have the new guy Marcano and then Juan Jesus still.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I'd guess Roma has to sell someone before buying another CB, you have the new guy Marcano and then Juan Jesus still.

We have the money available, it's just our list of targets is much smaller than most bigger clubs. We have to wait for ideal circumstances, or buy kids. It's not a matter of seeing a hole , and going out and addressing it whenever we choose.

Other than Kessie's goal , I thought Marcano was fine , but EDF chose to take him off and keep Fazio on the pitch. Head-scratching , for me. (even though Fazio scored)

Also, Juan Jesus is bloody awful.

We bought William Bianda but he's a kid , we needed a legit veteran CB , or a 22-24 year old ready to steal a starting job eventually -- I wanted Zouma. The Alisson effect is very, very real and we didn't replace Rudiger.

Last edited:

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
We have the money available, it's just our list of targets is much smaller than most bigger clubs. We have to wait for ideal circumstances, or buy kids. It's not a matter of seeing a hole , and going out and addressing it whenever we chose.

Other than Kessie's goal , I thought Marcano was fine , but EDF chose to take him off and keep Fazio on the pitch. Head-scratching , for me. (even though Fazio scored)

Also, Juan Jesus is bloody awful.

We bought William Bianda but he's a kid , we needed a legit veteran CB , or a 22-24 year old ready to steal a starting job eventually -- I wanted Zouma. The Alisson effect is very, very real and we didn't replace Rudiger.

So, I take that the FFP troubles are thing of the past for good? A top foreign CB in mid-20's probably cost at least 40 millions and close to PL salaries as well. Getting one isn't easy, a better bet is probably trying to find a new Skriniar type of player from Balkans/Eastern Europe. Italy usually produces top CB's as well, and since they all can't play for Juve, Roma should be able to get one too. You know, Caldara level of player, aren't there any others?

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
So, I take that the FFP troubles are thing of the past for good?

Eh , it's getting better , but we'll always have to keep it in mind until Roma can build a stadium. Unfortunately , Roma's revenue is closer to a Europa League side than an established CL team, so that means we need to sell every year just so we can cover yearly costs.

Monchi wants to get it to the point where we aren't forced to sell, but can sell under our terms. In his short time , he's gotten us much closer to achieving that goal. Our previous DS left the club in a disastrous state , so much of what he's done is cleaning up our books and getting younger.

A top foreign CB in mid-20's probably cost at least 40 millions and close to PL salaries as well. Getting one isn't easy, a better bet is probably trying to find a new Skriniar type of player from Balkans/Eastern Europe.

Yeah, I would guess 25-30 million is probably our sweet spot, atm.

Obviously I'm not privy to the inner workings of the club, so I have no idea what was possible (or not) , but these are some names (within those parameters) that would've helped (imo):

- De Vrij, Free (likely impossible coming from Lazio)
- Calgar Soyuncu, 20m
- Zouma, Loan

The only way we can get a fully developed class , class CB is if their contract is expiring and we can get a cut price. Names like Vertonghen , David Luiz, Kompany all have expiring contracts, but I'm not sure they'd be interested in Roma , nor am I sure if we can offer them competitive wages.

Italy usually produces top CB's as well, and since they all can't play for Juve, Roma should be able to get one too. You know, Caldara level of player, aren't there any others?

Haha well, unfortunately, we sold Romagnoli, who was our great italian CB prospect. There's a couple guys coming up with a bit of potential ... Marco Varnier who just moved to Atalanta being one. But , for the most part, they're all owned by the Milan clubs or with Juve.

We'd have to develop our own, or beat one of the giants to the punch, which is really hard to do for Italian talent.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
If the reports in tuttosport were telling the truth, you may as well just swap him with Pogba.:sarcasm:

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
@Duchene2MacKinnon

If I said I'd be interested in Roma taking Rojo off United to replace Fazio , would you call me an insane person?

I'm that desperate.
I think that Jones might work better honestly. Jones is solid defensively but doesn't offer much of anything going forward. He is sort of injury prone but he is a good no nonsense defender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad