Serie A 19/20

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Romero’s season summed up nicely in this game. Mixed bag. Goal and a red card. Cant wait for him to progress somewhere either in Juve or elsewhere

Reactions: Juve

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Seems so long ago that these two were stars at the 2006 World Cup (my first memory of this sport).

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
he had 1 goal
meh goals aren't everything. He was a very flashy player who needed to work on his end product at the time, the exact opposite of today. Plus he got Rooney sent off and knocked out England lol. Podolski won the Young player of the tournament and CR7 was 2nd btw.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
meh goals aren't everything. He was a very flashy player who needed to work on his end product at the time, the exact opposite of today. Plus he got Rooney sent off and knocked out England lol. Podolski won the Young player of the tournament and CR7 was 2nd btw.
It's not but I wouldnt call him a star in a tournament. Same with Lio who played in that very tourney.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's not but I wouldnt call him a star in a tournament. Same with Lio who played in that very tourney.
Eh, it's arguing the semantics of 'star' player. FIFA said he finished runner up for the Best Young Player award, which to me dignifies he was a star player. He was probably the main player for a final 4 finisher and started every match for them. Definitely a star player on that team imo.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Eh, it's arguing the semantics of 'star' player. FIFA said he finished runner up for the Best Young Player award, which to me dignifies he was a star player. He was probably the main player for a final 4 finisher and started every match for them. Definitely a star player on that team imo.
The star player on a team with Figo? Hell a number of his team mates where on the players of the tournament list. He wasn't included.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
He pissed off a lot of influential people with his participation in the Rooney sending off, or so the theory goes.

Figo and Ricardo Carvalho were more influential than him in 2006, possibly Maniche as well. He was better than Podolski who won the young player award. He was taken out of the round of 16 match very early by a brutal Boulahrouz challenge.

That tournament was actually a victory for Portugal as far HFBoards is concerned as FIFA awarded then the most entertaining team of the tournament, and that is valued more than winning the tournament.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
He pissed off a lot of influential people with his participation in the Rooney sending off, or so the theory goes.

Figo and Ricardo Carvalho were more influential than him in 2006, possibly Maniche as well. He was better than Podolski who won the young player award. He was taken out of the round of 16 match very early by a brutal Boulahrouz challenge.

That tournament was actually a victory for Portugal as far HFBoards is concerned as FIFA awarded then the most entertaining team of the tournament, and that is valued more than winning the tournament.
That Netherlands-Portugal match was pure war. I think it had like 20 yellow cards Lol.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There can be multiple star players on a team.

Especially one which makes the Semis of the World Cup.
You said he was the main player... like I said he wasn't included in the players of the tournament. Mind you it's pretty irrelevant but that's just my opinion.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
You said he was the main player... like I said he wasn't included in the players of the tournament. Mind you it's pretty irrelevant but that's just my opinion.
The team of the tournament is subjective and as koyvoo mentioned, there was a media agenda against him because of his antics that probably left him off the team (and why Podolski won the young player award over him). I watched the France-Portugal game recently and he was their only player constantly creating. That was the match when IMO he became the main player on the team.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Podolski was the better player in 2006, Cristiano Ronaldo had all the talent in the world to the extent that blind could see, but used it too often for inconsequential dribbling still. Maybe the World Cup was something of a transformative moment for him, but he was not up there yet at the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad