Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think all of this is utterly unhealthy for the entire organisation.

Its logical that Torts has to give more ice time to Korpi, but is the organisation willing to risk not making the PO this year?

Bob needs to get traded and imo its quite urgent. Its the only solution, quite a regrettable one I must say.
CBJ need to start planning for life after Bob. See what happened to the Cavaliers when LeBron left. They weren't prepared. They banked on making a championship run and failed. If the CBJ don't prepare for the next phase and ignore the elephant in the room the future is bleaker than it should be. Until then they need to play the balancing act and find out what they've still got to work with. This is not a cup winning team. I'm willing to take 1 step back as long as it involves 2 steps forward and not another 2-3 steps backwards.

It is seeming pretty clear to me that Bob and Bread will be gone. They are not committed to the "team" as much as they say they are and even if nobody admits it, this is impacting the team dynamic.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
CBJ need to start planning for life after Bob. See what happened to the Cavaliers when LeBron left. They weren't prepared. They banked on making a championship run and failed. If the CBJ don't prepare for the next phase and ignore the elephant in the room the future is bleaker than it should be. Until then they need to play the balancing act and find out what they've still got to work with. This is not a cup winning team. I'm willing to take 1 step back as long as it involves 2 steps forward and not another 2-3 steps backwards.

It is seeming pretty clear to me that Bob and Bread will be gone. They are not committed to the "team" as much as they say they are and even if nobody admits it, this is impacting the team dynamic.

I do get where you’re coming from with the last paragraph and I fully believe 110 percent that Bob has entirely checked out on this team, but I do not think Bread has. Artemi shows the desire to win and even if he doesn’t want to be on this team, he still continues to give it his all on the ice. I can’t say the same about Bob.

It is hard for me to believe that Bob is the way he is right now because I had it ingrained in my brain that he would retire with the CBJ. Before the word got around that he wanted to be paid the highest amount of any goalie, I for sure thought that we would be with Bob and he’d be with us, until the end (of his career).

Reactions: thebus88

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I do get where you’re coming from with the last paragraph and I fully believe 110 percent that Bob has entirely checked out on this team, but I do not think Bread has. Artemi shows the desire to win and even if he doesn’t want to be on this team, he still continues to give it his all on the ice. I can’t say the same about Bob.

It is hard for me to believe that Bob is the way he is right now because I had it ingrained in my brain that he would retire with the CBJ. Before the word got around that he wanted to be paid the highest amount of any goalie, I for sure thought that we would be with Bob and he’d be with us, until the end (of his career).
Yeah, I didn't mean to insinuate that they weren't trying but the uncertainty if the situation definitely has to have a subconscious impact on the team.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Quite possible that Bob to LA could be a thing (eventually)?

Edit:

I take this back. After reading reports, seems like a Quick will ‘only’ be out 3-6 weeks.

Last edited:

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Quite possible that Bob to LA could be a thing (eventually)?

Edit:

I take this back. After reading reports, seems like a Quick will ‘only’ be out 3-6 weeks.

I mean, its still knee surgery for a goalie. They are 3-7-1. Their season could be "over" in 3 weeks.

I don't know what a possible return would be. Cap issue. Something like Pearson/Budaj/1st

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
I mean, its still knee surgery for a goalie. They are 3-7-1. Their season could be "over" in 3 weeks.

I don't know what a possible return would be. Cap issue. Something like Pearson/Budaj/1st

Pearson has 1 point in 11 games and is a -5. And that one point was a secondary assist.

Peter Budaj has given up 14 goals in 3 games played in the AHL. 6.16 GAA, .825 save percentage.

The first round pick (if it’s this year’s) could be a top 10 pick given how badly LA has been so far but...

Lmao. Stop it right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
I have been reading some russian news sites lately and they all say that Bob is "offended" at the organisation. Thats the main reason why he wants to leave.

Personally I cant stand guys who can be offended by anything and think that its quite a weakness in one's psyche since the feeling of being offended is irrational. Its possibly that bitter upset self created feeling that is destroying Bob and his final year in Columbus.

One of the things about russian culture is that its quite conservative when it comes to the concept of psychiatry. Seeing a shrink is seen over there as something reserved only for very ill people, like those suffering from schizophrenia. Apparently Bob is offended not only for not getting Price's money but also for the fact that he was advised to see a sports shrink who would help him overcome PO anxiety.

I fully understand that this may sound very silly towards most Americans here. You would have to know the russian social stigma about mental health to fully understand it.

This is a basic example where the cultural difference is ruining something.

I see it more than often though that managers of certain teams mishandle some russian players and push them away without even realizing it.

I also understand that a real professional athlete should be able to develop himself and to disregard such things with ease. But Bob apparently cant, despite being a very hard worker.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I have been reading some russian news sites lately and they all say that Bob is "offended" at the organisation. Thats the main reason why he wants to leave.

Personally I cant stand guys who can be offended by anything and think that its quite a weakness in one's psyche since the feeling of being offended is irrational. Its possibly that bitter upset self created feeling that is destroying Bob and his final year in Columbus.

One of the things about russian culture is that its quite conservative when it comes to the concept of psychiatry. Seeing a shrink is seen over there as something reserved only for very ill people, like those suffering from schizophrenia. Apparently Bob is offended not only for not getting Price's money but also for the fact that he was advised to see a sports shrink who would help him overcome PO anxiety.

I fully understand that this may sound very silly towards most Americans here. You would have to know the russian social stigma about mental health to fully understand it.

I see it more than often though that managers of certain teams mishandle some russian players and push them away without even realizing it.

I also understand that a real professional athlete should be able to develop himself and to disregard such things with ease. But Bob apparently cant, despite being a very hard worker.

Interesting post. Thanks.

It could be a combination of FO missteps and Bob character flaws that have created this mess. I'm all with you on the "offended" front. It's not a Russian thing either:laugh: It's not a political board so I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Facifer

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
That’s clearly been in large part because of how Merzlikins has played. He and his backup, 22-year-old Austrian goaltender Stefan Muller, have bailed their team out night and again so far. Muller has a .939 save percentage in his lone National League start, and Merzlikins’ .931 save percentage in all situations spans a 13-game sample size already. He faces more shots per game than any other goaltender, yet has the best save percentage in the slot of any goaltender who has more than 150 shots faced from that area so far.

Behind the Save: the technical transition that puts Elvis...

The FO must have a ton of confidence in this kid or the Bob situation would probably be different. I guess the big question is whether he can maintain his form in the NHL. We'll see next year more than likely.

FWIW, I recently subscribed to The Athletic. It was only$2/month for a year and for such a minimal cost provides a decent amount of interesting articles.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Interesting post. Thanks.

It could be a combination of FO missteps and Bob character flaws that have created this mess. I'm all with you on the "offended" front. It's not a Russian thing either:laugh: It's not a political board so I'll leave it at that.

Honestly I fail to detect traces of any intelligence in Bob when I watch his interviews. I guess thats what we both were thinking.

In short words for Bob it can be something like this "I have been one of the main reasons why this franchise has had relative success, I win trophies, yet they wont pay me Price's money, instead they are telling me to see a therapist, life isnt fair!".

Its this personal limitation that may prevent Bob from ever becoming a ring collector. And if he was smarter then he would know that Fleury added several rings to his collection after being a disaster in PO for years before finally seeing a shrink.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013

There is a lot of stigma around mental health here too.

It sounds like those articles are just repeating what Bob said a long time ago about seeing a sports psychologist. When did he say that?

And to me it does make a difference (because I agree with Bob that he played well in last Spring's playoffs) whether he is offended that his performance went unrecognized. He shouldn't be offended to have to see a shrink, but I can understand if he's bothered by "you did poorly, see a shrink". That would be a very normal reaction for any of us.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Behind the Save: the technical transition that puts Elvis...

The FO must have a ton of confidence in this kid or the Bob situation would probably be different. I guess the big question is whether he can maintain his form in the NHL. We'll see next year more than likely.

FWIW, I recently subscribed to The Athletic. It was only$2/month for a year and for such a minimal cost provides a decent amount of interesting articles.
It's well worth the money. I'm down to just weekends on the Dispatch as the Athletic gives me my sports fix.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Really enjoyed your post....

Reactions: Facifer

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Bob stood tall tonight in the third and made key saves. Maybe it's just a one game thing, and maybe he's back to being the goalie we know he can be. But either way he was solid tonight.

Where were ya in the GDT, brotha?

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
He shouldn't be offended to have to see a shrink, but I can understand if he's bothered by "you did poorly, see a shrink".

Well again: an average Russian mind could easily have heard it as "dude you are mentally ill".

Anyway Bob had a good game yesterday it seems. I hope he gets his shit together and takes the team far in the PO.

Oh yeah hahaha :laugh: Imagine if this 9&72 saga or even drama would end in the team beating Pens/Wsh/Tampa or whoever else faces them and then winning the Cup in the finals. In this case I cant imagine they would want to leave and the management would give them a blank check. History has had way more dramatic turns so it wouldnt be that exceptional!

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Like I said in the Arizona GDT, I'm avoiding them for now.

5l13cn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad