Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Oh yeah hahaha :laugh: Imagine if this 9&72 saga or even drama would end in the team beating Pens/Wsh/Tampa or whoever else faces them and then winning the Cup in the finals. In this case I cant imagine they would want to leave and the management would give them a blank check. History has had way more dramatic turns so it wouldnt be that exceptional!

Just last year the coach of the winning Cup team left, still disgruntled even after a championship, so it happens.

despotic

Aug 10, 2006
Toronto
I have been reading some russian news sites lately and they all say that Bob is "offended" at the organisation. Thats the main reason why he wants to leave.

Personally I cant stand guys who can be offended by anything and think that its quite a weakness in one's psyche since the feeling of being offended is irrational. Its possibly that bitter upset self created feeling that is destroying Bob and his final year in Columbus.

One of the things about russian culture is that its quite conservative when it comes to the concept of psychiatry. Seeing a shrink is seen over there as something reserved only for very ill people, like those suffering from schizophrenia. Apparently Bob is offended not only for not getting Price's money but also for the fact that he was advised to see a sports shrink who would help him overcome PO anxiety.

I fully understand that this may sound very silly towards most Americans here. You would have to know the russian social stigma about mental health to fully understand it.

This is a basic example where the cultural difference is ruining something.

I see it more than often though that managers of certain teams mishandle some russian players and push them away without even realizing it.

I also understand that a real professional athlete should be able to develop himself and to disregard such things with ease. But Bob apparently cant, despite being a very hard worker.
Can you post a link to the inerview?

It seems you're jumping to wild conclusions here that are trying to stereotype him without any evidence. According to your post, he stated that he was "offended" for "not getting Price's money" and for "the fact that he was advised to see a sports shrink who would help him overcome PO anxiety". Then you go on some wild leap, implying that he was offended due to some perceived stigma russians have regarding mental health, which is a bit of a stretch.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Original in Russian:

Почему Сергей Бобровский обиделся на «Коламбус»

Google translated into Americano.. ;o

Google Translate

I know Im simply speculating. I dont claim to tell the truth at all.

Bob believes that the club treats him disrespectfully, because he dares to criticize him for playing in the playoffs.He takes it to heart. It seems to me that he was very wounded when he was offered to turn to a sports psychologist. As if someone called him a weak or not strong enough man.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
“I just wonder what that must be like for Tortorella to try and coach that team with that elephant in the room at all times, that these guys probably want out and might well be out by the trade deadline, but we’ve got to try and win. It’s not easy, I would think.”

“I don’t believe Tortorella is in any trouble,” began Friedman. “They did extend him, for one thing. For another, I think the Blue Jackets recognize, as you said, that these are some very unique situations.

“I think there has been a lot of frustration with Bobrovsky, and the frustration goes back to the summer. Jarmo Kekalainen set up a meeting with both Panarin and Bobrovsky in the summer to talk to them about this year, and Panarin went to the meeting and Bobrovsky blew it off.

“Bobrovsky was apparently upset about some things they said about him at the end of last year, two years ago. I don’t know if he’s right or wrong about that. Everybody interprets things different ways. But I know the organization was upset about the fact that Bobrovsky blew off that meeting.

“Panarin has played pretty hard. I think they would like to keep him. I think they recognize that he’s not going to stay there, but I don’t think they have any complaints with the way that he’s approached things.

“Bobrovsky - to be honest, I think they would like to keep him too, but he has made it very clear he doesn’t want to stay. I think that meeting caused them a lot of frustration. I think at times they felt he hasn’t been as focused on the day-to-day details as maybe Panarin or some of the other players have been. I think that’s made it very difficult at times between them. They’ve been frustrated with his attitude. They’ve tried to give Korpisalo basically the job. He got pulled last game and Bobrovsky came off the bench, and got them back in it at least. And as you guys mentioned, he was really good last night.

“Panarin they can trade. Bobrovsky has a complete no-move clause. I believe that he has given them an idea of where he will consider to go, and I think Columbus has explored that. I mean, everything we’re looking at is the Islanders. I don’t know if it’s going to end up being that way, but if we were wagering right now they would be the team.

“But the one thing I do believe is there are times you have to go for it. I think if you’re Columbus, I don’t have a problem with them at least trying this out and going for it. I think Columbus is a pretty good team. I think Bobrovsky at his best is a really good goalie. I think Panarin is a really good player. Bobrovsky hasn’t been that great until last night, but if that’s the way he’s going to play - honestly, I would take a shot at it. And I think that’s what they tried to do, but I think the whole situation with Bobrovsky has annoyed them and caused them a lot of problems, and I don’t think they like the constant rumors swirling around them either.

“So I don’t think the whole situation has been very easy.”

Friedman on Blue Jackets’ ‘frustration with Bobrovsky’

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
From the Islanders standpoint, this is a tough one... on one hand you've got two goalies playing well right now that are well liked by the team. On the other hand, Bobrovsky could be the best Goaltender the Islanders ever had aside from playoffs Billy Smith. I also can't imagine the side show stuff sitting well with LL.

Only way I see it happening is if something happens to one of Griess/Lehner (long term injury or they completely fall off a cliff), and if it didn't cost a big piece. The Islanders would also have to come back down to earth for a minimum of one week I imagine. Otherwise the Islanders main target right now should be a steady top 4 LHD. Wonder if Calvin de Haan is available.....

Reactions: CPTN71

despotic

Aug 10, 2006
Toronto
Original in Russian:

Почему Сергей Бобровский обиделся на «Коламбус»

Google translated into Americano.. ;o

Google Translate

I know Im simply speculating. I dont claim to tell the truth at all.
Ok ... this interview doesn't say anything concrete. It's just a bunch of speculations. It's not even an interview with Bob, but an interview with with a ?journalist? covering Bob.

Regarding Bob being "offended" by the club, it was a speculation by the journalist based on Bob's "tone" when talking about his contract. I don't think this psychoanalysis can be taken at face value, let alone as the basis for even further psychoanalysis.

The piece about him being "offended" of not getting Price money is another spculation without any evidence by a third party observer. I don't think there's anything to it.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
The piece about him being "offended" of not getting Price money is another spculation without any evidence by a third party observer. I don't think there's anything to it.

Obviously I was making an assumption or merely speculating. There was also information that Bob and the management had "very different ideas" about the value and or the length of Bob's next contract.
Calling whatever Bob is expecting "Price money" is merely another speculation.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Friedman more or less repeats everything that I (and others) have been saying for months now. The one new tidbit was that Jarmo wanted Bob at the summer meeting, and Bob wouldn't go. And it confirms that Bob is pissed about what they said about him post-playoffs. And Friedman agrees that it makes sense that the Jackets should just go for it this year - if Bob gets his head on straight first.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Friedman more or less repeats everything that I (and others) have been saying for months now. The one new tidbit was that Jarmo wanted Bob at the summer meeting, and Bob wouldn't go. And it confirms that Bob is pissed about what they said about him post-playoffs. And Friedman agrees that it makes sense that the Jackets should just go for it this year - if Bob gets his head on straight first.

Thanks for tooting your own horn. Again.
And I think that’s what they tried to do, but I think the whole situation with Bobrovsky has annoyed them and caused them a lot of problems, and I don’t think they like the constant rumors swirling around them either.
“So I don’t think the whole situation has been very easy
.”

Friedman on Blue Jackets’ ‘frustration with Bobrovsky’

And you've also told us, ad nauseam, that there would be no locker room issues. Honk. Honk.

Reactions: CPTN71 and thebus88

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Rinne signs two-year contract with Predators
Pekka Rinne signed a two-year, $10 million contract with the Nashville Predators on Saturday. It has an average annual value of $5 million. Rinne will make $6 million next season and $4 million in 2020-21.
The 36-year-old goalie, who won the Vezina Trophy in 2017-18, is 4-1-0 with a 1.91 goals-against average and .940 save percentage in six games this season. He could have become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

Bob and his people can't be happy about this. At all. Yes, Rinne's older. But he has a Vezina just last year. And he has gone to a Cup Finals.

Poile is a flipping cap magician.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

Bob and his people can't be happy about this. At all. Yes, Rinne's older. But he has a Vezina just last year. And he has gone to a Cup Finals.

It is to Poile's credit, it is a good deal. I think his real advantage here is that he already has Saros, so if Rinne wanted to stay in Nashville he had to do it on Poile's terms.

I don't know if this is bad for Bob. Rinne is 36 and not as consistent as Bob, so expectations were much lower. More importantly it looks like Nashville will keep both Rinne and Saros, so that's one less good goalie in the pool for that group of teams that is dying for good goaltending. St. Louis, Carolina, New York Islanders, Calgary, Philadelphia, - these teams have lost whole seasons to bad goaltending, and their options just narrowed.

despotic

Aug 10, 2006
Toronto
Obviously I was making an assumption or merely speculating. There was also information that Bob and the management had "very different ideas" about the value and or the length of Bob's next contract.
Calling whatever Bob is expecting "Price money" is merely another speculation.
Agreed. I was just to making it clear for the others as your original message read like Bob was a weak-minded russian nutcase running from the asylum.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018

$5m is how much a reliable goalie should cost imo, and then the team should have a reliable backup, a $1.5-2m one or so

Price getting his money is a fluke, it shouldnt be happening in the NHL imo, there is no superhuman out there and Price isnt one himself.

A hypothetical $10m goalie should be psychologically very stable, very adaptive to everything (learning every day), he should be able to raise his game when its needed the most, he should have only few very bad starts a year and way more. There is no such goalie in the NHL right now. Rinne, Vasy, Price and a few others are simply not that $10m guy

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Agreed. I was just to making it clear for the others as your original message read like Bob was a weak-minded russian nutcase running from the asylum.

Well, from all we do know, he's about as "weak minded" a pro athlete who makes 5+ million dollars a year, can be.

He's let in legitimate weak goals all year. In nearly each game.

Its clear (now) there's been more (or less-depending how you look at it) going on behind the scenes between the 2 parties. Who knows exactly why that little tidbit of Bob 'blowing off' a meeting with management over the summer didn't come out until now. But, that's Carter-esque a bit if you ask me.

Everything points to that the CBJ have been correct in their "judgements" on Sergei, and that he DOES NOT handle "pressure" on and off the ice, as well as they would like, to continue to commit a significant cap hit and a VERY IMPORTANT roster position to him.

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
He's let in legitimate weak goals all year. In nearly each game.

Bob's signature is letting a softie during the first few minutes of many MANY games. This one is underrated since getting behind early on doesnt always boost the team's spirit.

Reactions: thebus88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->