Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
No, he's not getting traded. No, he's not currently up for a new contract. No, we don't need a special cyberspace for all us 5th Liners to complain about his play.

Look....if both 3rd pairing D-men can have their own thread (Murray/Nutivaara), we can certainly make some space for a guy having the best season of his life and our 16/17 MVP.

Discuss............

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Right now he is healthy and on fire. As long as he stays that way Jackets are fine. Either or both go south, even a bit during this goal drought, Jackets are in trouble.

Only real question about him in my mind is his contract renewal 2 years down the line. If he demands much more than 8 - 8.5 I think I would pass and say have a good career elsewhere. Term will also be a consideration. I don't think anything more than maybe 4 years will be warranted. Lots can happen between then and now but all things playing out as I expect in terms of cap growth I think his contract will be very much the topic of conversation.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Right now he is healthy and on fire. As long as he stays that way Jackets are fine. Either or both go south, even a bit during this goal drought, Jackets are in trouble.

Only real question about him in my mind is his contract renewal 2 years down the line. If he demands much more than 8 - 8.5 I think I would pass and say have a good career elsewhere. Term will also be a consideration. I don't think anything more than maybe 4 years will be warranted. Lots can happen between then and now but all things playing out as I expect in terms of cap growth I think his contract will be very much the topic of conversation.

He's having a fantastic year. With respect to the next contract, I'm fine with paying the man if he is willing to take a 3 or 4 year contract. Term is the big issue. I'm not a fan of an 8-year Lundquist-type contact.

Edit: just realized he has two more years on his contact, I thought it was one. We can deal with the next contract issue in the summer of 2018. I'm just going to enjoy the ride for now.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
Not only our team MVP, but maybe the league MVP. I expect him to haul away the Vezina, but also believe he should be in the discussion for the Hart.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I think he's turned a pretty good team into a great team (so far this year :) ) and deserves to be recognized for it.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
might be my vezina front runner right now even in front of holtby

Wow #hot #taek considering he has a better save percentage (.934 to .927) and better GAA (1.99 to 2.01) and more wins in the same number of starts (40 to 39). You mean the goalie with the better statistics "might be" your Vezina front-runner? Woah.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm glad his hardwork has paid off. I hate leaning on him, but we just aren't playing well right now in front of him.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007

He'll be 30 when his next contract kicks in, so term is certainly something that could be worrisome considering, as you mentioned, his health. However, I believe Bob has learned a lot about his body over the past few years, and because of this I think he can be the player we know he can be on a regular basis.

Clearly he is an upper-echelon athlete even by professional sports standards, so there's reason to believe that he could play until he's almost 40, but he's going to need every ounce of health in the next 2 years to prove that he is worth the term. At this point, 4 years would be my max too, but if he can stay at this level consistently before he renews his contract, I'd probably be ok with giving him 6-7 years.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Clearly he is an upper-echelon athlete even by professional sports standards, so there's reason to believe that he could play until he's almost 40

There have been 18 goalies ever to play over the age of 40 in the NHL. I posted this in another thread where contract extensions came up, but Bob makes a lot of stellar saves because of his athleticism and flexibility. He's already on the downside of his athletic prime, and it's only going to get more pronounced when he gets on the other side of 30. Lundqvist's stats have all gotten worse since he turned 30.

That doesn't mean we don't see a crazy run like Tim Thomas or Hasek put on at the of their careers from time to time, but to get consistent Top 5 goaltending across multiple seasons, it just doesn't happen for guys in their 30s.

It's very early to project out what will happen in 2019. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Bob, the prospects, drafting, etc. to get the full picture by then. I just can't imagine the FO giving him a long-term deal as he reaches the twilight of his "prime" and moves into the next phase of his career, where it will be nearly impossible for him to live up to the value of his contract if it's at or above his current AAV.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio

If he follows this year with 2 similar years (maybe not same stats, but same elite level of play), he will get $10M +. The cap will likely be up another $8-10M in 2 more years. Unless Korpi has shown he is absolutely ready for beast mode, no team, let alone CBJ, is going to jettison their franchise player just as the core gets into its prime. I agree with you on limited term, but not on price.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
His play of late has muted some of the contract grumblings.

Wait, there's people still grumbling about his contract? He's providing about $12m in value to the club this year!

Think about it this way: a shooter has a 6.6% chance of scoring against Bob this year, and an 8.6% chance against an average goalie. That's 30% higher. And about 40-50 goals over 65 games of Bob. That's insane! How many players in the league can account for that much of a difference in goals?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm not going to wade too far into next contract debates because a lot can happen in two years. Suffice it to say if he plays like this for the next two years you might as well rename the team the Colombus Bobrovsky's and pay him what it takes.

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Wait, there's people still grumbling about his contract? He's providing about $12m in value to the club this year!

Think about it this way: a shooter has a 6.6% chance of scoring against Bob this year, and an 8.6% chance against an average goalie. That's 30% higher. And about 40-50 goals over 65 games of Bob. That's insane! How many players in the league can account for that much of a difference in goals?
So basically Bobo is Ovechkin and the average goalie is Matt Calvert? :D

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
There have been 18 goalies ever to play over the age of 40 in the NHL. I posted this in another thread where contract extensions came up, but Bob makes a lot of stellar saves because of his athleticism and flexibility. He's already on the downside of his athletic prime, and it's only going to get more pronounced when he gets on the other side of 30. Lundqvist's stats have all gotten worse since he turned 30.

That doesn't mean we don't see a crazy run like Tim Thomas or Hasek put on at the of their careers from time to time, but to get consistent Top 5 goaltending across multiple seasons, it just doesn't happen for guys in their 30s.

It's very early to project out what will happen in 2019. We'll have to wait and see what happens with Bob, the prospects, drafting, etc. to get the full picture by then. I just can't imagine the FO giving him a long-term deal as he reaches the twilight of his "prime" and moves into the next phase of his career, where it will be nearly impossible for him to live up to the value of his contract if it's at or above his current AAV.

I layered that post with conjecture about his health, finishing by saying that if he stays healthy and plays well the next two years I'd be fine with paying him until he's 36 or 37, which is almost 40, as I previously stated.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
If shredding weight has helped keep him healthy this could be sustainable. You should always be concerned about a goalie that has repeat groin/lower body issues.

If he wins the Vezina this season, it will still be legit. No his other one wasn't and you will never convince me otherwise, so don't bother trying. Attacking me for this view will just be trolling at this point, most everyone should know my position on this by now.

I'll be truly sold when he fights his way through some real adversity. It's been a pretty smooth season for him. He admitted that his struggles to start last season were confidence related. He had a subpar month or so, but it wasn't really slump level. We also still need to see how he deals with the playoffs.

Having said that, I wouldn't even consider giving him 9 million or something like on his next contract. It's not Bob, I just have no interest in being the team that hands out the top salary in the league to a goalie (might still be slightly under Lundvqist, we can see his decline - however he is 35).

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
If shredding weight has helped keep him healthy this could be sustainable. You should always be concerned about a goalie that has repeat groin/lower body issues.

If he wins the Vezina this season, it will still be legit. No his other one wasn't and you will never convince me otherwise, so don't bother trying. Attacking me for this view will just be trolling at this point, most everyone should know my position on this by now.

I'll be truly sold when he fights his way through some real adversity. It's been a pretty smooth season for him. He admitted that his struggles to start last season were confidence related. He had a subpar month or so, but it wasn't really slump level. We also still need to see how he deals with the playoffs.

Having said that, I wouldn't even consider giving him 9 million or something like on his next contract. It's not Bob, I just have no interest in being the team that hands out the top salary in the league to a goalie (might still be slightly under Lundvqist, we can see his decline - however he is 35).

Why is his other Vezina not legit? Not trolling, just unfamiliar with your position (Shortened season?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->