Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Wow, he's NOW doing what he is supposed to do/what is expected of him. NOW. HOORAY.

What about the team/defense in front of him?

The Columbus Blue Jackets > Sergei Bobrovsky

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
It’s Probably true the defense is playing better, but Bob is stringing together excellent numbers - and he’s doe it before. Korpi hasn’t and there’s nothing in his history to tell me he replicate what Bob is doing if he’d been in goal these games.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's not hating to call a spade a spade. He wasn't good to start the year. I don't think anyone expected it to prolong into the season, and the calls for Korpisalo to start were just emotional reactions due to the contract situation and lack of wins by Bob.

Okay then, if people want to defend their statements as just mindless emotional reactions, then we won't have to tell them that they said something stupid.

Bob's poor start wasn't missed by anyone. I do recall some taking things much further than that and maligning his general body of work.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Because the team gets just a fraction of the credit they deserve for Bob's "numbers" and his trophies.

Lets also NOT forget the reports coming out recently about Bob blowing off that meeting that we heard about over the summer with Panarin and Jarmo. Along with the reports of a formal or informal "list" of places he would go to.

But let me guess, these things reported by some of the most reputable "insiders" of the NHL are false and were having no impact on his issues that did exist 2 weeks ago.

Bobrovsky lost the 'starting role' after having a LONG leash. Korpisalo lost it after having a shorter leash. Both deserved to lose and gain the "role" when they did.

Lets see where Bob, and the team, stand in December.

Reactions: Facifer

Madifer

Oct 2, 2018
Prove it.

I guess Bob will prove it to you personally.

By March and April his mind will be all over "the new contract" and the PO pressure.

Can he not lose his shit and be that Wall Bob? He has to be right? For that new contract.

The second half of the season will prove whos right and who isnt

Ps. My guess is that he will choke again.

Reactions: thebus88

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I guess Bob will prove it to you personally.

By March and April his mind will be all over "the new contract" and the PO pressure.

Can he not lose his **** and be that Wall Bob? He has to be right? For that new contract.

The second half of the season will prove whos right and who isnt

Ps. My guess is that he will choke again.

It won't prove anything. Why would poor performance automatically = mental frailty?

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
Can't win the cup without an elite (top 10 in the league) goaltender. IMHO Bob easily qualifies. Does he have his moments? Yes; but you'll wait awhile to have another elite goaltender once Bob leaves. Could it be one of the guys in the pipleine (e.g. Elvis)? Sure, but that ain't happening overnight. Biggest problem Jackets have is that Bob wants a contract that outlives his usefulness to the org. I'd frontload at above market rate (not Price money) and get a team friendly years 5-7 arrangement. Ship Korpi out next year, Bring Elvis over and go from there. By year 3 you'll know what you have with Elvis and have some flexibility on Bob's contract.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Can't win the cup without an elite (top 10 in the league) goaltender. IMHO Bob easily qualifies. Does he have his moments? Yes; but you'll wait awhile to have another elite goaltender once Bob leaves. Could it be one of the guys in the pipleine (e.g. Elvis)? Sure, but that ain't happening overnight. Biggest problem Jackets have is that Bob wants a contract that outlives his usefulness to the org. I'd frontload at above market rate (not Price money) and get a team friendly years 5-7 arrangement. Ship Korpi out next year, Bring Elvis over and go from there. By year 3 you'll know what you have with Elvis and have some flexibility on Bob's contract.

You say Bob's contract would outlive his usefulness to the org, at the same time that you acknowledge we don't know what we have in Elvis yet. I think there's a better than even chance that Bob will still be the better player of the two 5-7 years from now. Bob's contract might just be useful for the duration of the deal.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
Y'all are funny with your "prove it's".

Think about what is being said, and put it into the context of the game. We hear Jones talk about how the team is doing better keeping things to the outside when the opponent does zone entries. That would help the goalie wouldn't it?

The fact that Coach Tortorella talked about how the team played better in the neutral zone would help the goalie, wouldn't it? The fact that there is a morning article in the Columbus Dispatch {Ohio's Greatest Home Newspaper} about cutting down on odd man rushes would help the goalie wouldn't it? The fact that Coach Tortorella is busting several guys about doing more checking (to get the puck back) would help the goalie, wouldn't it?

I'm no genius, but NOT going 0-20 on the power play SHOULD help the goalie.

I personally think Bob is past his October Funk. But the team is putting things together. It takes all of them working together. Me???? I'm just going to enjoy every game that Bob and Bread play in the Union Blue. If/when they move on, I will continue to enjoy the CBJ games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad