Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
"Only Human Bob" shows up a good 10-15 % of the time in the regular season. This idea that he plays "lights out" the entire regular season, or that its extremely rare for him to have a bad game, is NOT ACCURATE.
I won't argue here. Bob usually has a month to month-and-a-half of being very average, maybe even below average.

Doesn't take away from the fact that he can be counted on to be at or near the top of the league in every major statistical category by season's end.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I wouldn't read too much into the fact that the CBJ have a back-to-back, the 2nd of which is at home and Bobrovsky will play at home.

I could be totally wrong, but this seems like a "nothing to see here" moment.

Of the two opponents, the 2nd is widely considered to be the better team. Start your best goal tender against the better team. Start your back up against the (considered) lesser of the two teams. Start your trophy winner at home. Don't burn out your goal tenders in the month of October. It's a long season. Nothing to see here.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
He might be starting the Korpse because he'll have a ready made excuse if they bomb on opening night.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
While it seems odd, most teams have historically started the backup on one end of a back-to-back. The oddities here are the order (although the fact that Friday is the home OPENER has good rationale for holding Bob - whether you love him or hate him, he does draw fans), and that the Jackets have not uniformly followed the league standard in the past and played Bob both games of a B-2-B. It is likely nothing. It could be a conscious decision to get Korpi more starts early to see what he's got (he was better in the preseason, which means diddly but at least gives them some confidence to put him out there). Until Bob has re-signed a contract, they need to know what they've got in Korpi in order to know what a proposed trade offer means - they may need a serviceable G in return if Korpi isn't up to snuff, or they may decide that keeping Bob for the entire year still makes sense, even if they get nothing in return. If Korpi is hot with solid fundamentals, other options open up.
Bob may not like it, but it is obviously something the CBJ need to do to.

I want Bob to stay (the term will be difficult in my view. But I understand (and agree with) the usage.

Reactions: The Bread Man

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Well, it's certainly not because Korpisalo is the better goaltender. What's your solution, chief?
Welp , after yesterday’s practice , Torts said he was estatic with Korpisalo, and that Korpisalo was really coming on . Bob was an absolute train wreck this camp . My guess , is he’s going with the goalie that gives him the best chance to win Tomm night

Reactions: thebus88

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Welp , after yesterday’s practice , Torts said he was estatic with Korpisalo, and that Korpisalo was really coming on . Bob was an absolute train wreck this camp . My guess , is he’s going with the goalie that gives him the best chance to win Tomm night

And the rationale for starting Korpisalo in game 2 last year (also on the road, on the back end of a B2B) is the same?

major major

Feb 18, 2013

That's not very convincing. It's one of the league's worst teams, on the road end of a back-to-back. That's classic backup goalie territory.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
That's not very convincing. It's one of the league's worst teams, on the road end of a back-to-back. That's classic backup goalie territory.
Personally can never remember our back up starting the season opener , but maybe I just don’t remember . From all accounts as to what Torts was just saying on the radio . Was that Korpisalo has taken the next step , and looked great in camp . They are going to really push him to take the job from Bob . That starts tomorrow

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Personally can never remember our back up starting the season opener , but maybe I just don’t remember . From all accounts as to what Torts was just saying on the radio . Was that Korpisalo has taken the next step , and looked great in camp . They are going to really push him to take the job from Bob . That starts tomorrow

The excuse makers on this board won't see the forest through the trees.

Bob is pissed at management. Management is pissed at Bob. Torts is pissed at Bob. Bob sucked during the pre season.

They're going to put the screws to Bob. May or may not be the best strategy. But it's a strategy.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

Just last year the Islanders started Thomas Greiss over Jaro Halak in our home opener. Why? Because their home opener was the next night, and Halak started.

Sounds familiar.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
The excuse makers on this board won't see the forest through the trees.

Bob is pissed at management. Management is pissed at Bob. Torts is pissed at Bob. Bob sucked during the pre season.

They're going to put the screws to Bob. May or may not be the best strategy. But it's a strategy.

I agree with the other parts, but haven't seen any signs of this. What did I miss?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Just last year the Islanders started Thomas Greiss over Jaro Halak in our home opener. Why? Because their home opener was the next night.

Sounds familiar.
Thing is, Bob is not the future , and I think Torts could care less . Bob was atrocious in the preseason and had attitude problems . If Korpisalo is good , I could see him playing more games then Bob this year . They need to see what he can handle , like starting the season opener , playing large stretches , etc . I’m sure in their mind , no way easier to get Bob traded , then him to request a trade .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I agree with the other parts, but haven't seen any signs of this. What did I miss?
Welp him showing up late on the first day of camp probably didn’t help . His feeling sorry for himself and whining to the media , probably didn’t help, and his last 2 starts giving up 5 goals and 6 goals probably was the icing on the cake

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Thing is, Bob is not the future , and I think Torts could care less . Bob was atrocious in the preseason and had attitude problems . If Korpisalo is good , I could see him playing more games then Bob this year . They need to see what he can handle , like starting the season opener , playing large stretches , etc . I’m sure in their mind , no way easier to get Bob traded , then him to request a trade .

Torts could also care less for pre-season performance, as he has said many times. I believe it was pointed out that Bob had a poor pre-season last year too, and it seemed to work out fine.

We all agree he's on the way out the door, that doesn't mean Torts is going to blatantly tank the season and not play his two time Vezina winning goalie. Will Korpi play more? Yeah probably. Especially if he gets hot. However, I still expect Bob to play over 55 games. They're not going to force out their best goalie.

"Attitude problems" lol. Other than the media day statement there is literally no way to prove this. I understand you don't like the guy and are looking forward to the Jackets moving on from him, but that doesn't mean you have to drag his name. There seems to be some animosity between Bob and the CBJ, but that doesn't mean he has attitude problems.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Torts could also care less for pre-season performance, as he has said many times. I believe it was pointed out that Bob had a poor pre-season last year too, and it seemed to work out fine.

We all agree he's on the way out the door, that doesn't mean Torts is going to blatantly tank the season and not play his two time Vezina winning goalie. Will Korpi play more? Yeah probably. Especially if he gets hot. However, I still expect Bob to play over 55 games. They're not going to force out their best goalie.

"Attitude problems" lol. Other than the media day statement there is literally no way to prove this. I understand you don't like the guy and are looking forward to the Jackets moving on from him, but that doesn't mean you have to drag his name. There seems to be some animosity between Bob and the CBJ, but that doesn't mean he has attitude problems.
I like Bob , don’t get me wrong . But if you read back 2 years ago, I’ve always been consistent that in no way should a goalie make 10 mil per season . Just don’t believe in it . Goalies are only as good as the team in front of them . Bobs last 2 starts are an example of that . Give me 2 quality starters over 1 great goalie , and your organization is in much better shape in case injuries occurs, one struggles , etc . Take that huge savings and upgrade our forwards . But I have no dislike of Bob , and root for him, I’m just a bigger blue jacket fan , than a Bob fan , if that makes sense

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Thing is, Bob is not

the future , and I think Torts could care less . Bob was atrocious in the preseason and had attitude problems . If Korpisalo is good , I could see him playing more games then Bob this year . They need to see what he can handle , like starting the season opener , playing large stretches , etc . I’m sure in their mind , no way easier to get Bob traded , then him to request a trade .

You can pretend, but I don't think you are a Bob fan.

Why would the team bench it's two time Vezina winner in favor a guy who had an .890 last year? And why would the team deliberately cause a problem with Bob to make him request a trade? He'd have to waive his NMC, sure, but with the goalie trade market being as weak as it is, wouldn't it be better just to not cause problems and play the goalie that helps us win the most?

Welp him showing up late on the first day of camp probably didn’t help . His feeling sorry for himself and whining to the media , probably didn’t help, and his last 2 starts giving up 5 goals and 6 goals probably was the icing on the cake

Those are instances of Bob being pissed. Not instances of Torts being pissed at Bob. We haven't seen that. When Torts has been asked about it he says he's not going to judge on the pre-season, that Bob has earned that, which he has.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Korpi needs to play if he's going to ever get better. He's only played in 32 games of the last 164 games he's suited up for.
Hell, Korpi through 3 seasons in the NHL has only played 63 games.

Bob played more in his first two seasons in Philly, with 83 games played.

Through his first two seasons in Philly he had a 2.81 GAA and .907 sv%

Korpi through 3 seasons has a 3.03GAA and .905 sv%

Korpis best season was the one he actually was able to get in rhythm and feel comfortable on the ice. I know we have Bob but Korpi has got to play more than 20 games a season.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Korpi needs to play if he's going to ever get better. He's only played in 32 games of the last 164 games he's suited up for.
Hell, Korpi through 3 seasons in the NHL has only played 63 games.

Bob played more in his first two seasons in Philly, with 83 games played.

Through his first two seasons in Philly he had a 2.81 GAA and .907 sv%

Korpi through 3 seasons has a 3.03GAA and .905 sv%

Korpis best season was the one he actually was able to get in rhythm and feel comfortable on the ice. I know we have Bob but Korpi has got to play more than 20 games a season.

He will play more at the NHL level, no doubt. But let's not forget that they were able to give Korpi AHL starts up until this point. He played in the AHL every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad