Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
5 years is awkward - for one I think Bob will still be great in 5 years, but it's also not short enough to accommodate Jones' extension. The other guys you mention aren't as important - but Jones will likely be making $10m+ after another 4 years, and he's one guy I expect to be more important than Bob at that point. Dubois, Werenski, who knows, Anderson, Wennberg, Bjorkstrand, not in the same neighborhood.

I'd offer Bob $10.5m at 4 years, and something like $9m x 6 or $8m x 8.

If I were the one making the decision for the CBJ, I'd do the first offer except that I'd bump it to $10.75 million which would make him the highest paid goalie. It also recognizes (sorry) his playoff shortcomings and limits overall risk to the team. It's a fair middle ground offer.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
If I were the one making the decision for the CBJ, I'd do the first offer except that I'd bump it to $10.75 million which would make him the highest paid goalie. It also recognizes (sorry) his playoff shortcomings and limits overall risk to the team. It's a fair middle ground offer.
Wonder if the CBA allows us to offer bonuses for playoff series wins or winning the Stanley Cup?

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
That leads me to this, why hasn't Panarin been offered the "key to the city" of Columbus?

Yes, Panarin.

Bob is NOT worth the "key", sorry about the disrespect.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Because one guy wants the key (Bob) and one has made it clear that he does not (Panarin). If Panarin wanted the key he would have it already.
I think that's exactly it. Would make Columbus look really foolish if we offer a MAX deal and it becomes public and he leaves to go someplace else for less money and/or years. Would just get too many people to ask why is Columbus so bad (or like Siberia as Chicago writer said).

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think you do see "many" acrobatic saves from Bob in relation to the other goalies in the league. And, a lot of time IT IS because he is "out of control" or "out of position". More accurately, I'd say he's just a bit slow to react to certain situations. He IS then able to recover a lot of the time, which is good, but you shouldn't give him extra credit for "recovering" and making a harder save than necessary.

I also have noted in the past that I think 1 of Bobrovsky's other main issues is his problems with these so called, "potshots from the point through traffic". He has a huge problem "seeing" through traffic and handling tipped (or deflected, or whatever other word) pucks. Sometimes appears like he is "sleeping" on these shots. This is where the name "playoff Bob" comes from

The Crosby goal in the 1st period 'checks off' many of the 'boxes' I mentioned here about his issues with traffic and the puck out at the point. Wasn't a "potshot", but a pretty simple pass that he's super late to realize or react to.

3 goals in 1 period on Korpisalo and people would be clamoring for a new backup goalie.

Somebody find the Torts/75% comments, please.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yikes. What a pitiful game for the defense and goaltending. I know its PIT, but my god. This could be an ugly ugly start if they don't get it in gear.

The Crosby goal in the 1st period 'checks off' many of the 'boxes' I mentioned here about his issues with traffic and the puck out at the point. Wasn't a "potshot", but a pretty simple pass that he's super late to realize or react to.

3 goals in 1 period on Korpisalo and people would be clamoring for a new backup goalie.

Somebody find the Torts/75% comments, please.

There went his Vezina chances. We should have traded him while he still had value. Vezina Korpisalo incoming.

Oh, its preseason. Nvm.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Seems to me, we are witnessing once again , what happens to Bob , in every playoff series. The mental aspect . No one refutes his skill, it’s always been what’s between his ears that prevents him from having success , when it matters . I’ll just note that his comrade, absolutely tore up the preseason . If I were Jarmo , I would offer Panarin 11 mill, for 8 years, and see if that gets in done .

Reactions: thebus88

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Blue Jackets’ Bobrovsky talks contract distraction, says he’s ‘human’

Guess all those who think the Bob/Bread thing won't be a distraction should let Bob know.

There's not really a "Bob/Bread thing".

You've got one guy who is enjoying his time before he leaves, which I've maintained will probably not distract the team from its focus on winning. That was what our summer debate was about, remember?

And you've got another guy who is super pissed off, which certainly will distract that player and might just be a distraction for others.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Seems to me, we are witnessing once again , what happens to Bob , in every playoff series. The mental aspect . No one refutes his skill, it’s always been what’s between his ears that prevents him from having success , when it matters . I’ll just note that his comrade, absolutely tore up the preseason . If I were Jarmo , I would offer Panarin 11 mill, for 8 years, and see if that gets in done .

Yes he's really failing us when it matters, the pre-season. :laugh:

Can you at least wait until a few actual games are played before you click "post" with your tired takes?

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Well I think this isn't the same context as the comments you refer to were in, but OK.

I could be wrong, but, he's asked if the "situation" could affect his on ice play negatively, and he answers, "I don't know, we'll see, I'm only human"....

How is the "context" NOT the same? Bob admits, that he could be distracted.

I think that's about as good of an admittance as you will get. He wouldn't come out after a few questionable preseason games and outright say he's not "THERE" 100%.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
There's not really a "Bob/Bread thing".

You've got one guy who is enjoying his time before he leaves, which I've maintained will probably not distract the team from its focus on winning. That was what our summer debate was about, remember?

And you've got another guy who is super pissed off, which certainly will distract that player and might just be a distraction for others.

So can we refer to thing new form as, "Only Human Bob"?

And would it be accurate to call it a, "Bob thing" at this point?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I could be wrong, but, he's asked if the "situation" could affect his on ice play negatively, and he answers, "I don't know, we'll see, I'm only human"....

How is the "context" NOT the same? Bob admits, that he could be distracted.

I think that's about as good of an admittance as you will get. He wouldn't come out after a few questionable preseason games and outright say he's not "THERE" 100%.

Anyone who says the "distraction" discussion wasn't about the entire team finding the situation with Bobrovsky a distraction is lying. It was never about whether he himself would find it distracting.

That's how the context is different.

Now, I don't recall saying it wouldn't be a distraction myself, although suggesting it would not sounds like the kind of thing I would say. But this quote from Bob doesn't somehow prove that his teammates will be adversely impacted mentally by what's going on - or not going on - with Bob.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yes he's really failing us when it matters, the pre-season. :laugh:

Can you at least wait until a few actual games are played before you click "post" with your tired takes?

Roses are red, violets are blue
Bob played terribly last pre-season too.

"Only Human Bob" shows up a good 10-15 % of the time in the regular season. This idea that he plays "lights out" the entire regular season, or that its extremely rare for him to have a bad game, is NOT ACCURATE. Along with about 80%
of the time in the playoffs.

Consistency from GAME TO GAME, or even PERIOD TO PERIOD is a huge issue with "Only Human Bob".

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Anyone who says the "distraction" discussion wasn't about the entire team finding the situation with Bobrovsky a distraction is lying. It was never about whether he himself would find it distracting.

Now, I don't recall saying it wouldn't be a distraction myself, although suggesting it would not sounds like the kind of thing I would say. But this quote from Bob doesn't somehow prove that his teammates will be adversely impacted mentally by what's going on - or not going on - with Bob.

Also, the "distraction" discussion was about how the team would react to Panarin, up until more recently when Bob was lumped in, as if it was the same issue.

So can we refer to thing new form as, "Only Human Bob"?

And would it be accurate to call it a, "Bob thing" at this point?

Sure, we might have a Bob thing.

Consistency from GAME TO GAME, or even PERIOD TO PERIOD is a huge issue with "Only Human Bob".

I'm guessing you don't follow a lot of other goalies closely.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Ok, fair enough. Couple things though.

You say, "entire team". The team is 20 or so individual players/men, all with different personalities. No matter how (legitimately) big or little of a distraction, you will always have guys who "care" or are "distracted" much easier than others. Same can also be said for guys who don't/wont "care" either way, as they are getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a month to play a sport. Not to mention guys being at pretty different "points" in their careers. A guy like Wennberg or Bjorkstrand will undoubtedly have different feelings about things than Foligno or Dubinsky. Whether they are expressed or kept inside. My point in adding all of this is that the idea of the "team" being "distracted" SHOULDNT need a statement read off by Foligno and signed by 15 other players to believe there is or could be an issue.

NOW, my other "issue" is ONCE AGAIN people removing Bobrovsky FROM the Bluejackets.

He is PART OF the CBJ, NOT a separate entity. And as a starting goalie, who up until now (possibly) starts a lot of games, he should be seen as a HUGE part of the CBJ.

If Bob is "distracted", the TEAM is "distracted".

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Ok, fair enough. Couple things though.

You say, "entire team". The team is 20 or so individual players/men, all with different personalities. No matter how (legitimately) big or little of a distraction, you will always have guys who "care" or are "distracted" much easier than others. Same can also be said for guys who don't/wont "care" either way, as they are getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars a month to play a sport. Not to mention guys being at pretty different "points" in their careers. A guy like Wennberg or Bjorkstrand will undoubtedly have different feelings about things than Foligno or Dubinsky. Whether they are expressed or kept inside. My point in adding all of this is that the idea of the "team" being "distracted" SHOULDNT need a statement read off by Foligno and signed by 15 other players to believe there is or could be an issue.

NOW, my other "issue" is ONCE AGAIN people removing Bobrovsky FROM the Bluejackets.

He is PART OF the CBJ, NOT a separate entity. And as a starting goalie, who up until now (possibly) starts a lot of games, he should be seen as a HUGE part of the CBJ.

If Bob is "distracted", the TEAM is "distracted".

This is a good post and makes a lot of salient points. I'm not gonna pick through it and try to find fault.

I still contend the context is different and that the linked story doesn't prove anything within that established context. And the truth is, we'll never know whether other individual players are distracted unless they come right out and say it (although I have no doubt there will be some who attempt to show certain actions/results as evidence of said).

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Also, the "distraction" discussion was about how the team would react to Panarin, up until more recently when Bob was lumped in, as if it was the same issue.

Sure, we might have a Bob thing.

Also, the irony in all of this is that the talk was "all" Panarin talk, and Bob was supposedly "lumped in recently", only because the "pro Bob" crowd still had a strangle hold on 'HF consensus', and it was passed off that there never would or could be a "Bob thing".

SOME of us have been talking about it for WELL over a year, WELL BEFORE any talk of Panarin "wanting out", or even him being in Columbus.

There was a "Panarin" thread on the trade board somewhat recently (last 1-2 months) that I had to chime in and let the other fans of NHL teams know that Bobrovsky was just as probable, if not MORE SO than Panarin, to be walking after this year. Of course people were surprised to hear that as practically no CBJ fans on this site had been expressing this "opinion".

And here we are now, with "Only Human Bob", and a REALITY that cannot be DENIED or LAUGHED OFF any more.

Cant wait for the, "Congrats to our backup goalie" Instagram post, after Korpisalo's 1st shutout this year.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Also, the irony in all of this is that the talk was "all" Panarin talk, and Bob was supposedly "lumped in recently", only because the "pro Bob" crowd still had a strangle hold on 'HF consensus', and it was passed off that there never would or could be a "Bob thing".

SOME of us have been talking about it for WELL over a year, WELL BEFORE any talk of Panarin "wanting out", or even him being in Columbus.

There was a "Panarin" thread on the trade board somewhat recently (last 1-2 months) that I had to chime in and let the other fans of NHL teams know that Bobrovsky was just as probable, if not MORE SO than Panarin, to be walking after this year. Of course people were surprised to hear that as practically no CBJ fans on this site had been expressing this "opinion".

And here we are now, with "Only Human Bob", and a REALITY that cannot be DENIED or LAUGHED OFF any more.

Cant wait for the, "Congrats to our backup goalie" Instagram post, after Korpisalo's 1st shutout this year.

Can you back up a few blocks and explain what you are talking about. What is "Bob thing", what is the REALITY of "Only Human Bob", who is denying it, what are they saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad