Sergei Bobrovsky - Top Cop

Status
Not open for further replies.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
That didn't happen.
If I remember correctly, we could have exposed Calvert, but we traded a 1st, and Clarkson (the terrible contract that the cbj moved) to Vegas and agreed on Karlsson. So in hindsight, because of a terrible contract that we needed to get off the books, we gave up a #1c, and a 1st round pick.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
When you go 40 games struggling to score 2 goals, which we did last season, with Panarin, yes I would say that we need more players that can be a gamebreaker as needed. To go out and get Panarin, was just a start. Nearly every cup winner in memory has atleast 2 elite offensive players , on their roster. No doubt we have a solid 4 line team, with very little high end talent. Contrast that with our group of defenseman..... As Bob Mcgelliott said recently on the air, when asked if he was troubled about Bob leaving, you dont win games in the nhl anymore, 1-0 for 2-1, most games your winning 4-3, 5-4 type games. You have to have an offense that can put up goals.
Right on.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
If my math is correct, upping our pp % from 17.2 to 20.6 (the 16th ranked %) we would have had 7 more goals resulting in an increase of .08 goals ppg which would kick our rank from 17th to 15th.
My conclusion our offense is average (mediocre?) with or without the pp.
Awesome, thanks.

I find it hard to believe that a PP with Panarin, Jones, and Werenski can't even be average.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If I remember correctly, we could have exposed Calvert, but we traded a 1st, and Clarkson (the terrible contract that the cbj moved) to Vegas and agreed on Karlsson. So in hindsight, because of a terrible contract that we needed to get off the books, we gave up a #1c, and a 1st round pick.

You don't remember correctly. Calvert was exposed. Karlsson was exposed. Anderson, JJ, and Korpisalo were not on the protected list but were protected in exchange for a 2nd round pick. That was the price. The price for unloading Clarkson was a 1st rounder. There's no connection between Clarkson and Karlsson apart from being announced in the same transaction. No functional dependence between the two deals.

If anything, the high cost of unloading Clarkson could have dissuaded the Jackets from paying the cost to protect Anderson, JJ, Korpisalo, and thus meant the Knights would have selected one of them instead of the less-desired William Karlsson (Karlsson actually started on the 4th line for the Knights). But the Jackets were willing to pay a second rounder to have the Knights take Karlsson.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
With Panarin we are average and our PP is below average.
Without Panarin we will be tough to watch offensively and PP would likely be worse (somehow).

Without Panarin we would have a lack of playmakers - PLD and Atkinson would be it. On most teams they would be 3rd-4th options (Atkinson would be a good complimentary player on a good line and PLD is still growing up but has potential).
"Good complimentary player"? Talk about damning with faint praise. He's not a superstar, but he's still one of the better wingers out there. He absolutely creates his own chances and does so pretty often.

Reactions: MoeBartoli

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Our old overpaid average goalie is 30 today. Yay! :D He did an interview if you can call it like that.

Talking with Sergei is a very pleasant experience. In communication, he is incredibly friendly and simple. But an interview with him for any journalist is a real torture. Bobrovsky is always buttoned up and it's almost impossible to caught something or pull out anything from him. Especially when he's preparing for the season.
- I do not want to discuss the situation about contract now – cuts Sergey – at the moment I'm a "Blue Jacket" and is fully focused on training. The season in the NHL is long and difficult, and my task is to give the guys a chance to win every match."
Well, i couldn't imagine that Bobrovsky would say something more about it.

Бобровскому - 30. И у него все впереди

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Our old overpaid average goalie is 30 today. Yay! :D He did an interview if you can call it like that.

Talking with Sergei is a very pleasant experience. In communication, he is incredibly friendly and simple. But an interview with him for any journalist is a real torture. Bobrovsky is always buttoned up and it's almost impossible to caught something or pull out anything from him. Especially when he's preparing for the season.
- I do not want to discuss the situation about contract now – cuts Sergey – at the moment I'm a "Blue Jacket" and is fully focused on training. The season in the NHL is long and difficult, and my task is to give the guys a chance to win every match."
Well, i couldn't imagine that Bobrovsky would say something more about it.

Бобровскому - 30. И у него все впереди
Yep. Hes made it clear, he's a bluejacket for NOW. We will probably never know how much of an influence he had , on the Panarin situation. When the season ended last year, everyone on the team felt that Panarin loved Columbus,(it seemed like a foregone conclusion he would resign here) . When the news came out that Panarin may not resign, his teammates here, including Cam, Nick, were shocked by the news. Put that together with Bobs attitude now, of somehow feeling disrespected, and understanding that he got with the front office after the last season, and told them what he would be looking for, and the number /term was so far off, Jarmo shut down talks. I dont think its much of a reach that Bob was badmouthing the organization/front office to Panarin. It requires some speculation, of course, but seeing Bobs attitude, and seeing how the organization was totally caught off guard with the change of heart by Panarin, the pieces certainly fit.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
You don't remember correctly. Calvert was exposed. Karlsson was exposed. Anderson, JJ, and Korpisalo were not on the protected list but were protected in exchange for a 2nd round pick. That was the price. The price for unloading Clarkson was a 1st rounder. There's no connection between Clarkson and Karlsson apart from being announced in the same transaction. No functional dependence between the two deals.

If anything, the high cost of unloading Clarkson could have dissuaded the Jackets from paying the cost to protect Anderson, JJ, Korpisalo, and thus meant the Knights would have selected one of them instead of the less-desired William Karlsson (Karlsson actually started on the 4th line for the Knights). But the Jackets were willing to pay a second rounder to have the Knights take Karlsson.
So it sounds like my details were slightly confused, but my initial point was not. We had to sacrifice a first round pick, to unload a contract the team didnt have the financial means, or stomach , to buy out . Which is why , as a front office you dont start justifying, overpaying for a 31yr old goalie, that will want a 7 yr contract, at Carey Price money, 10 mill plus, that up to this point is one of the worst playoff goalies, active in the game, currently .

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
But this team is winning games 1-0, 2-1. There is more than one way to win in the NHL. This team doesn't have the skill to win games 4-3, 5-4 type games. Not to mention that the players this team needs to pull that off are not available or have little interest in coming here. In almost 2o years of watching this team, it's always trying to catch up to the latest trend. Originally it was about size. Then were going to be tough defensive team. Then fast and skilled, and so on. By the time they get the players to play that way, the rest of the NHL was on to something else. They need to stop trying to play catch up and utilize the players they have and build around that.
I agree there is more than one way to win in the regular season and we won many 1-0, 2-1 games. Based on past performance, it might be true our team is built to lean toward that style. But I'm left strongly questioning how far that will take a team in the playoffs. When playing the true contenders, they have the firepower to force their opponents to score 3, 4 or even 5 goals to beat them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So it sounds like my details were slightly confused, but my initial point was not. We had to sacrifice a first round pick, to unload a contract the team didnt have the financial means, or stomach , to buy out . Which is why , as a front office you dont start justifying, overpaying for a 31yr old goalie, that will want a 7 yr contract, at Carey Price money, 10 mill plus, that up to this point is one of the worst playoff goalies, active in the game, currently .
There's kind of a world of difference between unloading a David Clarkson versus unloading an older Sergei Bobrovsky.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You have to wonder if Sabres fans were having this conversation about Hasek when he turned 30. "Yeah he's the best goalie in the league and all, but he just turned 30."

Ditto most every elite goalie of the past three decades.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
There's kind of a world of difference between unloading a David Clarkson versus unloading an older Sergei Bobrovsky.
I’m sure the Clarkson contract could have been justified at the time , and we have no idea as to what the future holds . Injuries could arise , he could continue to flop in the playoffs . Not many teams have the stomach to pay a goalie 10 mill plus , per season , so your pretty limited from the get go to find a trade partner . The only other example we have is Price , and right now they are stuck with him and it looks like a terrible contract

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You have to wonder if Sabres fans were having this conversation about Hasek when he turned 30. "Yeah he's the best goalie in the league and all, but he just turned 30."

Back then teams weren't facing a salary cap nor were they paying guys exorbitant salaries. It isn't a current age issue that most have a problem with its the term and the guesstimated amount. Do you really think the Rangers are happy with Henrik's contract now? The situation in NY has changed and his performance is down. Is it due to him aging or the team falling apart in front of him? Both? Point being tying Bob up for 8 years at a bazillion per is what most (The Bread Man excluded) have an issue with.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Back then teams weren't facing a salary cap nor were they paying guys exorbitant salaries. It isn't a current age issue that most have a problem with its the term and the guesstimated amount.

C'mon, really?

Hasek signed a 3 year deal worth $26 million dollars when he was 33 years old, the summer before winning the Hart and taking his time to the Finals. That was more than 25% of the average team's salary at the time. I can't find contract details for all those guys but I know Roy was paid a similar amount. We're not contemplating anything remotely close to that for Bob.

Do you really think the Rangers are happy with Henrik's contract now? The situation in NY has changed and his performance is down. Is it due to him aging or the team falling apart in front of him? Both? Point being tying Bob up for 8 years at a bazillion per is what most (The Bread Man excluded) have an issue with.

I haven't heard any Rangers fans complain about it. He was their best player by far when they were competitive, winning 10+ playoff series, well worth it. Now Lundqvist is not as good, just as his team is rebuilding anyways and has abundant cap space. He was absolutely worth it. And as I've pointed out earlier, Lundqvist's decline in his mid 30's is actually early relative to other elite goalies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
JFC now we are having a Clarkson fiasco discussion in this thread too? Mods please edit title to keep thread on track. :sarcasm:

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
During a Thursday radio appearance on Ottawa’s TSN 1200, Darren Dreger was asked to revisit his Insider Trading information from Wednesday evening regarding Jarmo Kekalainen’s unwillingness to trade Bobrovsky or pending UFA Artemi Panarin at this point.

Following that discussion, Dreger was asked if he could see the Blue Jackets’ scenario with Bobrovsky and Joonas Korpisalo unfolding similarly to that of the Tampa Bay Lightning with Ben Bishop and Andrei Vasilevskiy.

“It’s possible,” allowed Dreger. “I haven’t looked closely at what Columbus has coming, but I can tell you one team that would be keenly interested, and I believe that to be the New York Islanders. The Islanders have been searching for a goaltender that can be a difference-maker for quite some time. At least the media, we have talked about it for a long, long time, the need of the New York Islanders. Now with Lou Lamoriello there, he wasn’t able to get that work done and wasn’t able to convince John Tavares to sign on long term, so I get the feeling that Lou is going to be pretty hungry knowing that he’s going to have to try to snag a goaltender at some point.

“Whether there’s a deal to be made, whether or not it’s the Islanders or another team that jumps in on Bobrovsky as a free agent, there’ll be no shortage of suitors.”

Friedman on #Isles: \"I do think that if I was to put money on it now - and I'm not saying I'm going to be right, but if I had to place an early-season wager - I think that's the team that's all-in for Bobrovsky.\" #CBJ #31ThoughtsThePodcast

Bobrovsky is in the final season of a four-year, $29.7 million contract and has a no-move clause.
Dreger did reiterate at one point in that TSN 1200 discussion on the Blue Jackets and Panarin-Bobrovsky that “I was told point-blank that there’s no interest in trading those guys. But in saying that, a lot can change as you creep closer to the trade deadline. And if Panarin remains steadfast in his position of not wanting to stay in Columbus long term or Bobrovsky decides that he too wants to test the open market, well then the Blue Jackets are going to have to make some pretty tough decisions come trade deadline day or prior to. But they’re going to wait and see where they’re at on the standings before they get to that stage.”

Dreger: Islanders would be keenly interested in Bobrovsky

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus

Bob is not Hasek, and until you perform when it matters, the playoffs, hes not elite, in my book. He may have elite skill, with a fragile mind. Anyway, I think many Montreal fans right now, if you were to ask them what they are feeling about Price, and his monster contract hes signed to , coming off a very subpar season/ injuries, and his age.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Bob is not Hasek, and until you perform when it matters, the playoffs, hes not elite, in my book. He may have elite skill, with a fragile mind. Anyway, I think many Montreal fans right now, if you were to ask them what they are feeling about Price, and his monster contract hes signed to , coming off a very subpar season/ injuries, and his age.

Montreal fans are less vocal about Price than outsiders. Probably because they know he's the one part of the team that can still be great, where there is room for hope. That team is in a bad situation and it's not because of Price or his contract.

I don't buy this fragile mind stuff. Bob got us through, what, an hour of playoff overtime hockey before giving up a goal? I got a feeling he'll win the Conn Smythe, after the Jackets let him go.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Montreal fans are less vocal about Price than outsiders. Probably because they know he's the one part of the team that can still be great, where there is room for hope. That team is in a bad situation and it's not because of Price or his contract.

I don't buy this fragile mind stuff. Bob got us through, what, an hour of playoff overtime hockey before giving up a goal? I got a feeling he'll win the Conn Smythe, after the Jackets let him go.
Gotta sign on a team that's going to make the playoffs in order to win the Conn Smythe.

Inquiring Minds

Jul 12, 2007
Grandview, Ohio
Bob is making $7.4M...CBJ has shown Bob plenty of respect. Very disappointed with Bob's attitude.
I seem to remember seeing a list of goalie salaries, and Bob was in the top 5 highest paid. That is in the last year of his contract. Not bad.
I think the perception of disrespect probably comes from which perspective you are approaching the negotiation:
Bob : winningest goalie in CBJ history + 2 Vezinas = big raise
FO: Playoff record + well paid on current contract = little bump

I actually can see both sides' points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->