#Senswatch, Sixth Edition: Now Introducing #Avswatch

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
We haven't squandered any top picks or talent. Mostly because we can't draft well enough to actually pick anyone past the top 10.

We've picked, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 10th...twice, 1 of which is probably the best 10th overall pick of the century...and lucked into a 1C & top pairing blueliner in the 2nd round to kick off the "rebuild". After all of that, we have exactly three 1st round exists in a decade to show for it and have yet to convince a top line Center we've drafted to stay into his UFA years since Sakic retired.

So we really don't get to talk shit here. Edmonton may be even pathetic than us over the past decade, but it is embarrassing that we've squandered so much talent that it's come to using that defense.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
We've picked, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 10th...twice, 1 of which is probably the best 10th overall pick of the century...and lucked into a 1C & top pairing blueliner in the 2nd round to kick off the "rebuild". After all of that, we have exactly three 1st round exists in a decade to show for it and have yet to convince a top line Center we've drafted to stay into his UFA years since Sakic retired.

So we really don't get to talk **** here. Edmonton may be even pathetic than us over the past decade, but it is embarrassing that we've squandered so much talent that it's come to using that defense.
Our 1st and 3rd were great, our second (Duchene) didn't pan out as expected.

Our 4th hasn't played a game yet. One of our 10th picks is arguably one of the best, but the other 10th looks like a bust.

Edmonton picked:

10th / 1st / 1st / 1st / 7th / 3rd / 1st / 4th / 22nd / 10th

No team in the history of the game has come close to getting that much lottery luck. They changed the system because of it.

You can't compare the 2

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Currently squandering everyone on the roster, and I consider some of them to be quite talented
Not having playoff success this year isn't squandering talent. 2 years from now, if we don't have success, yeah it will absolutely be squandering our talent. This is the last year Sakic can sit on his ass.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
This year is a failure no matter how you cut it. Whether they can parlay that failure into future success remains to be seen, but it's an abject failure nonetheless, and one they weren't fully prepared for.

But yes, if Joe "stays the course" this offseason, then this organization will never, ever rise above mediocrity.

Reactions: cgf

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
This year is a failure no matter how you cut it. Whether they can parlay that failure into future success remains to be seen, but it's an abject failure nonetheless, and one they weren't fully prepared for.

But yes, if Joe "stays the course" this offseason, then this organization will never, ever rise above mediocrity.
You can't say that lol "staying the course" means 2 top picks. You don't know who we will be drafting.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You can't say that lol "staying the course" means 2 top picks. You don't know who we will be drafting.

I'll say it again, I don't think they were prepared for failure of this magnitude any more than they were prepared for the 48-point season two years ago. When I hear Sakic say "stay the course" I can't help but wonder if there's any "course" to begin with. There are still way, way too many people working below him who have been given multiple passes for multiple years of failure.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I'll say it again, I don't think they were prepared for failure of this magnitude any more than they were prepared for the 48-point season two years ago. When I hear Sakic say "stay the course" I can't help but wonder if there's any "course" to begin with. There are still way, way too many people working below him who have been given multiple passes for multiple years of failure.
You said the organization will "never, ever, rise above mediocrity".

Anyone who knows anything about hockey, looks at our team, and sees an up-and-coming contender.

Could Sakic royally screw it up? It's possible.

Could we get terrible luck in the draft? It's possible.

Will staying the course result in disaster? No, it's not likely.

Our prospect pool could just be too good to fail. If we add a top 3 pick, and a top 7 pick, this team will be amazing to watch. I look forward to it.

Reactions: klozge

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

Anyone who knows anything about hockey, looks at our team, and sees an up-and-coming contender.

Our prospect pool could just be too good to fail. If we add a top 3 pick, and a top 7 pick, this team will be amazing to watch. I look forward to it.

Well, the sad part is I feel like you kinda HAVE to be right in order for this to work. This is still going to be, and likely always going to be, an organization unwilling to make tough decisions when it comes to personnel, an organization that moves VERY slowly behind the scenes, and one that seems unwilling to spend the resources necessary to truly dominate drafting, development, and coaching.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Well, the sad part is I feel like you kinda HAVE to be right in order for this to work. This is still going to be, and likely always going to be, an organization unwilling to make tough decisions when it comes to personnel, an organization that moves VERY slowly behind the scenes, and one that seems unwilling to spend the resources necessary to truly dominate drafting, development, and coaching.
We'll see. Can't really comment until after the draft / free agency. Hoping for a new coach, but who knows

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

Just like there was no way we could screw it up after 13/14.

Reactions: cgf and Balthazar

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Our 1st and 3rd were great, our second (Duchene) didn't pan out as expected.

Our 4th hasn't played a game yet. One of our 10th picks is arguably one of the best, but the other 10th looks like a bust.

Edmonton picked:

10th / 1st / 1st / 1st / 7th / 3rd / 1st / 4th / 22nd / 10th

No team in the history of the game has come close to getting that much lottery luck. They changed the system because of it.

You can't compare the 2

If you want to split hairs we also wasted a 10th overall pick (Jost), 11th overall pick (Siemens) & 18th overall pick (Hishon)...but that misses the point. That being that it's sad that we have to look to edmonton to find someone who's done less with more than us. We have accomplished nothing in a decade of tanking regardless of how many false-dawns people have claimed were right-around-the-corner.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers

With Ottawa's luck, one of them will get injured

Now that it's pretty publically confirmed Duchene isn't signing it makes zero sense to play in him in these last three games leading up to the deadline. They're playing for nothing right now, why take unnessecary risk.

Reactions: AvsFan29

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Now that it's pretty publically confirmed Duchene isn't signing it makes zero sense to play in him in these last three games leading up to the deadline. They're playing for nothing right now, why take unnessecary risk.
It's not confirmed officially.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We'll see. Can't really comment until after the draft / free agency. Hoping for a new coach, but who knows

Indeed. I slagged Sakic mercilessly in 2017, and then he shocked the hockey world with the Duchene deal. If little to nothing happens then I have little reason for optimism apart from "Boy I sure hope Cale Makar and that top draft pick are good."

I also think a coaching change needs to happen--a complete and total housecleaning (ideally that would reach farther beyond that, I'd get rid of a LOT of people, but that's just me). I'm not necessarily hating on Bednar, I just think the damage has been done. But as I have said elsewhere, if they're not going to go BIG with their next candidate then a coaching change will do very little.

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway

No worries, A Sens player will get injured in the first period and Duchene will sneak off the ice as the other player is being helped.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
You guys are even turning this thread where we talk about Dorion's gift to the Avs, which is currently guaranteed to be a top four pick, into another sky is falling thread? Damn.

Think positive thoughts. Like Jack Hughes on the Avs.

I'm thinking Kaapo Kakko. M m mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: