#Senswatch Episode V: Eugene Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Him being traded instead of signing is much better for our draft chances. They won't be trading him for anything but futures and picks.

They haven’t exactly done well in the standing with him. As long as one or two of Duchene, Stone, Dzingel are gone at the deadline they’ll be icing a much weaker team down the stretch.

I honestly think it is better for us if Stone was the one to go. IMO he’s had much more of a positive impact on that team. Duchene is more of an independent producer and streaky as hell where Stone is pretty consistent and makes the players around him better.

I’m really hoping last years arbitration drama is the prelude to Stone moving on (plus I want him in Colorado come July 1st).

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I still think Duchene and Stone will be traded because Melnyk won't be offering any signing bonuses and any high end player and their agent expects one in the potential lockout years.

Reactions: Goulet17

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I still think Duchene and Stone will be traded because Melnyk won't be offering any signing bonuses and any high end player and their agent expects one in the potential lockout years.

I think they’ll go all out on one, causing the other to move on. And I think Duchene is the one they go all out on because they’ll want to save face from getting abused by Sakic.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
$9M is probably an overpayment. $7-8 is fair and $7 or less is a bargain.

The term though.....what happens to Duchene once he's beyond 31 or 32 and losing even more speed.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
The term though.....what happens to Duchene once he's beyond 31 or 32 and losing even more speed.

With Duchene it's not all about speed. He has good strength in the corners, that would only leave in his mid-30s.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I'm only comfortable with 8-year contracts for RFA's these days. The way the NHL is now, 8 years for a player in his late 20's is just too risky. He'll be 36 in 8 years...there's a good chance that the last 2-3 years of that contract will be ugly.

Avaholics Anonymous

Sep 16, 2015
Columbus, OH
For next time:
is-diz-bait.jpg
Haha no, not bait. I may have been a little tipsy, and didn't mean to mock you or anything. I just really don't see the Sens having things fall into place such that they actually end up making the playoffs. Especially if Duchene/Stone are sold off at the TDL.

I also have on idea where the gif that I posted came from, or if that was even the one I wanted to post...:huh:

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Haha no, not bait. I may have been a little tipsy, and didn't mean to mock you or anything. I just really don't see the Sens having things fall into place such that they actually end up making the playoffs. Especially if Duchene/Stone are sold off at the TDL.

I also have on idea where the gif that I posted came from, or if that was even the one I wanted to post...:huh:
Ha, no I was posting pro-Sens things for shits and giggles.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
How so? Deadline is more than a month away.

It may have already been stated but I believe that Friedman reported that Dorion would need to know the answer a couple of weeks prior to the deadline, for purposes of arranging any trade. I believe Friedman's speculation arose from conversations with Burke and McLean, which they based on their NHL GM experience.

I said it before, but I don't believe that either will sign by the deadline and I don't believe either will be traded. Melnyk will not be willing to pay the bonuses necessary to sign them, but he also will not want Dorion to trade them in order to avoid giving the Avs a top-5 draft choice. Dorion and Melnyk will then leak their offers and pitch to their fans how they made legitimate attempts to sign them prior to July 1st as they both sign elsewhere.

The scenario will be based on a cheap and also irrational owner.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
It may have already been stated but I believe that Friedman reported that Dorion would need to know the answer a couple of weeks prior to the deadline, for purposes of arranging any trade. I believe Friedman's speculation arose from conversations with Burke and McLean, which they based on their NHL GM experience.

I said it before, but I don't believe that either will sign by the deadline and I don't believe either will be traded. Melnyk will not be willing to pay the bonuses necessary to sign them, but he also will not want Dorion to trade them in order to avoid giving the Avs a top-5 draft choice. Dorion and Melnyk will then leak their offers and pitch to their fans how they made legitimate attempts to sign them prior to July 1st as they both sign elsewhere.

The Sens are 2 pts from being deadlast in the standings WITH Duchene and Stone in the lineup. You think they pass up on multiple 1sts and prospects just to spite the Avs?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
The Sens are 2 pts from being deadlast in the standings WITH Duchene and Stone in the lineup. You think they pass up on multiple 1sts and prospects just to spite the Avs?

Yes, I think it is entirely possible. I think the Sens are completely dysfunctional as an organization and I think that Melnyk is capable of making completely irrational decisions. In fact, I generally expect it now.

Iracundia

Jun 19, 2011
Yes, I think it is entirely possible. I think the Sens are completely dysfunctional as an organization and I think that Melnyk is capable of making completely irrational decisions. In fact, I generally expect it now.
In a way I hope you are right just to see the Sens forum explode

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

The chances that those players walk is zero. Sens management isn't great, but letting them walk would be one of the biggest f*** ups I've ever seen.

Even Ottawa isn't that stupid. They will have 5+ offers from teams thing to make a run, and will just have to make a phone call.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I dunno what's going on with Ovi

Don't know honestly. I'll be frank, I barely noticed him today haha. Orlov, despite the 2 points, was the most noticeable Caps player on the ice and it wasn't in a good way. Had that own goal and that defense on the Toews hatty goal was something special.

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I think Ovi is slowly entering the part of his career where he'll still score goals but will be less noticeable when he's not scoring.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Ovi is slowly entering the part of his career where he'll still score goals but will be less noticeable when he's not scoring.

Actually, if anything he's playing in more situations. Trotz had him "closing" a lot of games in the final minutes, which is something other Caps coaches never dared do.

I think it's a flawed roster that managed to put everything together in the postseason last year just plain wearing out. They're also relying on former Av Brooks Orpik to play, and he's worse than a drunk Nemeth at this point.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The chances that those players walk is zero. Sens management isn't great, but letting them walk would be one of the biggest **** ups I've ever seen.

Even Ottawa isn't that stupid. They will have 5+ offers from teams thing to make a run, and will just have to make a phone call.

Well, you would’ve thought the same with the Islanders and Tavares. You’d think the Sens would’ve learned their lesson having seen that but we’ll see.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Well, you would’ve thought the same with the Islanders and Tavares. You’d think the Sens would’ve learned their lesson having seen that but we’ll see.
Tavares had a lot more loyalty than Duchene. There is zero chance Ottawa pulls off the Double-Tavares lol my brain won't let me accept that it's s possibility, but if any franchise were to completely screw this up, it would be the sens

Balthazar

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Actually, if anything he's playing in more situations. Trotz had him "closing" a lot of games in the final minutes, which is something other Caps coaches never dared do.

I think it's a flawed roster that managed to put everything together in the postseason last year just plain wearing out. They're also relying on former Av Brooks Orpik to play, and he's worse than a drunk Nemeth at this point.
Well at least he no longer costs 5.5M ;);)

Reactions: Pokecheque

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Are you talking about avalanche legend Brooks Orpik?

Reactions: Pokecheque
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad