#Senswatch Episode V: Eugene Strikes Back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
$8M/yr seems about right for Duchene based on the season he's having. Maybe it's a tad low but he gets the 8th year to make up for that. If the offer ends up being closer to the high end of Dreger's tweet and around $9M/yr then Duchene and his agent shouldn't wait to get that done. You might not even need to worry about bonuses (except the lockout year) and structure if the Sens really want to guarantee him $70M+.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I think Duchene wants to weigh his options on the FA market. Somewhere with a good country music scene and cup potential. Colorado perhaps?

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
$8M/yr seems about right for Duchene based on the season he's having. Maybe it's a tad low but he gets the 8th year to make up for that. If the offer ends up being closer to the high end of Dreger's tweet and around $9M/yr then Duchene and his agent shouldn't wait to get that done. You might not even need to worry about bonuses (except the lockout year) and structure if the Sens really want to guarantee him $70M+.
Imagine how bad that contract will be when he's back to putting up 50-60 points. Dorian might get praised in the short term, but he'll die on that hill in the long run.

Or get promoted. The senators are weird.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
They will do just enough to make it seem like they did all they could, and then trade them. I've heard stone may be staying, but I'll have to see it to believe it.

I agree. Just the fact that the numbers have come out with what Ottawa has offered is probably not a great sign. This is trying to put pressure on Duchene to sign through the media and I bet it won't go over too well with his camp.

I'll be pretty surprised if Stone ends up signing there...he's essentially 2 and a half months away from being a UFA and the money is going to be more or less the same whatever he ends up doing.

I think his plan is to field offers July 1st. This year's trade deadline shouldn't disappoint...unless everything happens a week early.

Reactions: avsfan09

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I agree. Just the fact that the numbers have come out with what Ottawa has offered is probably not a great sign. This is trying to put pressure on Duchene to sign through the media and I bet it won't go over too well with his camp.

I'll be pretty surprised if Stone ends up signing there...he's essentially 2 and a half months away from being a UFA and the money is going to be more or less the same whatever he ends up doing.

I think his plan is to field offers July 1st. This year's trade deadline shouldn't disappoint...unless everything happens a week early.
I don't see Duchene and Stone turning down 10+ offers in FA, just because they are offered decent money in Ottawa. They both won't have any issue finding money or jobs, and the teams looking to add these players are going to be more competitive than Ottawa. Some of these teams undoubtedly will see them as a final piece in order to contend.

They aren't signing in Ottawa.

Also, I'm sure they will have an idea of what teams are willing to offer them. People don't consider the fact that agents and managers talk often, and although teams aren't allowed to "negotiate" a contract, they absolutely will let the right people know what they are thinking about when it comes to Duchene or Stone.

Agents have multiple clients on multiple teams, and I guarantee offers get floated around before a player gets to FA.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I don't see Duchene and Stone turning down 10+ offers in FA, just because they are offered decent money in Ottawa. They both won't have any issue finding money or jobs, and the teams looking to add these players are going to be more competitive than Ottawa. Some of these teams undoubtedly will see them as a final piece in order to contend.

They aren't signing in Ottawa.

Also, I'm sure they will have an idea of what teams are willing to offer them. People don't consider the fact that agents and managers talk often, and although teams aren't allowed to "negotiate" a contract, they absolutely will let the right people know what they are thinking about when it comes to Duchene or Stone.

Agents have multiple clients on multiple teams, and I guarantee offers get floated around before a player gets to FA.

What ??? I mean both are fine ass players and stuff but ... WHAT???

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Duchene should stay in Ottawa for his own good, that franchise is rebuilding and while he said he didn't want to be a part of another rebuild, fact is he plays better when there are no expectations on him or his team.

Reactions: klozge

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia

I feel like Ottawa let it slip so that when he doesnt re sign they have proof that they made a fair offer.

Reactions: klozge

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Duchene should stay in Ottawa for his own good, that franchise is rebuilding and while he said he didn't want to be a part of another rebuild, fact is he plays better when there are no expectations on him or his team.
If he signs a 64m contract to be 1c, everything will be on him. We all saw him struggle at 1c here for years.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
You don't think 10 teams will want to talk to stone or duchene?

Oh man, really thought you meant $10m+ offers.

Turn down 10 teams? Easy.

Ottawa
Florida
Arizona
Carolina
New York Islanders
Detroit
New Jersey
Edmonton
Columbus
Anaheim

Either poor franchises, crappy teams, or simply non-desirable markets.

Show me a coveted free agent who wants to sign with one of these 10 teams and I will show you an idiot.

I left out big markets like Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, etc. because those cities can attract talent no matter what.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
If he signs a 64m contract to be 1c, everything will be on him. We all saw him struggle at 1c here for years.

If he signs a long term deal with a 9M cap hit for a team that sees him as the last piece for a cup run the pressure will be bigger, imo.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

Ottawa
Florida
Arizona
Carolina
New York Islanders
Detroit
New Jersey
Edmonton
Columbus
Anaheim

Show me a coveted free agent who wants to sign with one of these 10 teams and I will show you an idiot.

I left out big markets like Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, etc. because those cities can attract talent no matter what.
My main point was that if he goes to free agency, he could hear from 10+ teams, as appose to just signing with Ottawa. I didn't mean there aren't 10 teams he would turn down.

He is better off going into FA. If he really wants to stay in Ottawa, he could always sign next year after being traded for assets. I doubt Dorian would be upset if they gained assets, and signed him next year.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
If he signs a long term deal with a 9M cap hit for a team that sees him as the last piece for a cup run the pressure will be bigger, imo.
Could be. I don't think anyone is giving him 9m, and most contending teams don't have that type of cap space to play with.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
I thought you were saying they'd get offers of 10+
As in, 10M+
Yeah that was my thinking too. So ... WHAAAAAT???

But 10 teams, yeah that could happen.

I see both, Duchene and Stone, maxing out at 8M/year. Simply because most teams can't afford bigger contracts - they need to sign their own talents. And this could get (Rants for example) really expensive.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Ottawa
Florida
Arizona
Carolina
New York Islanders
Detroit
New Jersey
Edmonton
Columbus
Anaheim

Bob rov ski to Florida

Also how dare you leave the NYR off that list at the end? You just caused a random lake of tears to form.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah that was my thinking too. So ... WHAAAAAT???

But 10 teams, yeah that could happen.

I see both, Duchene and Stone, maxing out at 8M/year. Simply because most teams can't afford bigger contracts - they need to sign their own talents. And this could get (Rants for example) really expensive.
If Duchene came back to Colorado, and we signed him for more than 7/7.5, I'd be pissed lol 10 would be outrageous. That's a Scott Gomez level bad contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad