Confirmed with Link: Sens Sign D Troy Rutkowski to ELC

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
So that takes care of the 6th rounder we used on the Kassassin.

Uh... awesome. Why the heck didn't Colorado sign this guy? He's a quality prospect with some upside as a 4/5. That organization baffles me. There's our 6th round pick back from the Kassian deal. It took less than 24 hours.

By what I've heard and this guy's stats, size, etc. I think he's better than a 6th rounder.

He was a 5th rounder 2 years ago and he seems to have progressed with offensive game. Comes from a winning and competitive atmosphere in Portland.

What's not to like?

:thumbu::yo:

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
By what I've heard and this guy's stats, size, etc. I think he's better than a 6th rounder.

He was a 5th rounder 2 years ago and he seems to have progressed with offensive game. Comes from a winning and competitive atmosphere in Portland.

What's not to like?

:thumbu::yo:

I think he is really good, and has a shot as a second pairing guy, but he plays for Portland. They have an extremely deep and talented forward corps so his numbers are a tad inflated imo. Just look at the draft pedigree / potential draft rankings of those guys. They are absolutely stacked.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
To be fair he's still a defenceman nearly putting up 50 points in the W when he wasn't an overager.

While also supposedly being quite physical and willing to drop the gloves. Sounds intriguing. Would like to see him play.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Seems worth a flyer, I guess.

Where does this put is contract-wise? After Rutkowski and Kassian, do we still have a roster spot or two for a college UFA if we want one?

VermetteFan

Aug 15, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Commitment to defense has raised Rutkowski's profile
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=530881
Friday, 06.04.2010
Scouts certainly saw positive things.

"He has worked hard through the course of the season on fitness and his all-round defensive game," Central Scouting's B.J. MacDonald, who scouts Western Canada prospects, told NHL.com. "He has good offensive instincts, which is hard to teach. He knows when to jump up in the play to make an odd-man situation, which is a huge plus. He can be taught better defense as he matures. He has good size so he will learn to be stronger in his own zone, and his containment is improving. I think he is a smart enough player to realize he can balance both facets of game to be successful at the next level."

Rutkowski understands how important it is to round out his game. His favorite player is the Washington Capitals' Mike Green.

If you ask Portland coach Mike Johnston, things have been a lot better, especially with Rutkowski.

"He's committed to his overall game," Johnston told NHL.com during the season. "I've seen a big change in Troy this year. I just watch his preparation for games. He's a lot better prepared and I watch how he is after games, he stretches and has a workout. His overall routine is more like a professional. From the defensive part of the game, he takes as much ownership as he does in his offensive production."

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
This is why I don't mind Murray making overpayments in trades. He finds free wallets and he doesn't waste any of the draft picks that he keeps.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Seems worth a flyer, I guess.

Where does this put is contract-wise? After Rutkowski and Kassian, do we still have a roster spot or two for a college UFA if we want one?

we're full.

52 with kassian

- 3 SR contracts (noesen, puempel, ceci)

+ Rutkowski = 50.

We need to ditch a few contracts.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Us being full on contracts gives me the impression that a trade is coming. Deadline is coming up fast.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Rutkowski's deal won't kick in until next year so we're still at 49 currently.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Nice to see the Murrays continue to add size & toughness to the organization. :handclap:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Us being full on contracts gives me the impression that a trade is coming. Deadline is coming up fast.

Or Perhaps we'll keep the contracts around till more players come back from injuries?

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Daugavins might not be back either. Bishop seems destined to be gone soon, as well...

Gonchar, Lundin, Benoit, Latendresse, Cowick, Jessiman, Lawson all on expiring deals...

Players in bolded not signed, unless Benoit signs yet another 2-way deal and goes back to Bingo.

Latendresse, depending on how he performs the rest of the season, may still get another look. The guy needs to play a few more games before we expect consistency in his game.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
That's certainly not his game at all.

Yeah, I was going to say: everything I heard about this kid is he plays a "scrappy" game, but he's neither huge nor is he known to lay down thundering hits.

Still, he plays a "tough" game in all the areas that matter: goes into the corners, fights through checks, takes a hit to make a play, etc...

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Size & Toughness

Kassian - 6'5", 240 lbs
Rutkowski - 6'2", 200 lbs
= size

Kassian - is considered an enforcer = toughness

Rutkowski - Rutkowski is a big, physical defender who posesses a heavy slapshot. While his skating and defensive zone play could use some improvement, Rutkowski is a good passer and is unafraid to drop the gloves. hummm? Jury's Out?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kassian - 6'5", 240 lbs
Rutkowski - 6'2", 200 lbs
= size

Kassian - is considered an enforcer = toughness

Rutkowski - Rutkowski is a big, physical defender who posesses a heavy slapshot. While his skating and defensive zone play could use some improvement, Rutkowski is a good passer and is unafraid to drop the gloves. hummm? Jury's Out?

What? Rutkowski has no edge to his game what-so-ever. He hits, but is NO where close to McIlrath. Also Rutkowski is a decent skater as well.

I was able to watch him the last 3 years of his career and he simply didn't progress like the Avs would've hoped, also don't think his stats are great for an overage defenseman. After my 25th or 30th viewing of him I suggest that he is a lot like Matt Hunwick. Hunwick is a better skater, but Rutkowski is a tougher player. Both have the same skill set as a bottom pairing OFD. As a WHL scout and Avs fan, I think we should've given him a shot with a ELC, but TBH he isn't that big of a deal.

Hope he progresses for you guys and becomes a bottom pairing defenseman, but don't be surprised if he's a good AHL player, but isn't made for the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad