Confirmed with Link: Sens Sign D Troy Rutkowski to ELC

Hammertyme

Jun 20, 2006
Gatineau/Ottawa
I like the signing a lot, but people probably shouldn't be getting their hopes up about this guy. A lot of overage CHL players look really good, but they rarely look good in the NHL. His point totals stagnated between his age 17-19 seasons (although his PIMs went down which is good), then went up a lot this year, probably because he's an overager.

This is very true about overagers. Craig Shira was a previous example of an overager that the Sens got. OK AHL player.

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
Seth Jones ‏@seth_jones3

Congrats to @TRutter2 on signing with the Senators. Great leader and even better person. #muchdeserved

gmyx

Aug 14, 2008
Sensville
Seth Jones ‏@seth_jones3

Congrats to @TRutter2 on signing with the Senators. Great leader and even better person. #muchdeserved

Edit: crap... beat by a few seconds :(

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Seems worth a flyer, I guess.

Where does this put is contract-wise? After Rutkowski and Kassian, do we still have a roster spot or two for a college UFA if we want one?

Good question, by my count 48 including Kassian.

Rutkowski doesn't count since he is still in junior.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
York was saying this morning that he would be Number 50. Not sure if Rutkowski counts or not. When season is over he'll play in Binghamton I guess.

So someone has to go to accommodate any other signings. Murray could deal two or three for one in the right trade scenario, but he says he's waiting to see which bodies he's getting back from the injury list.

Other than that, if we get a shot at signing a Sustr, who would you part with? Let go.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
York was saying this morning that he would be Number 50. Not sure if Rutkowski counts or not. When season is over he'll play in Binghamton I guess.

So someone has to go to accommodate any other signings. Murray could deal two or three for one in the right trade scenario, but he says he's waiting to see which bodies he's getting back from the injury list.

Other than that, if we get a shot at signing a Sustr, who would you part with? Let go.

Regin and Daugavins would be the first people I dropped. Lundin probably isn't worth keeping either.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa

It pains me to say it..but..Brad Peltz seems to be the obvious choice. Or does he not count?

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Culek's contract should also slide, no?
Without trades we have Alfredsson, Lats, Caporusso, Jessiman, Lundin, Regin, Daugavins, Gonchar, Benoit who could go unsigned.
And we have to make room for Ceci, Noesen, Puempel, Culek, Rutkowski and possibly Sdao.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario

Not sure how York is counting them, I used Capgeek.

The Sens currently have 28 players on their roster, including 5 on the IR. In additional they have 20 in the minors, plus 4 playing in junior.

Since 18- or 19-year old players with remaining major junior eligibility do not count toward the contract limit until he has played at least 11 NHL games, if the player is assigned to his major-junior team only, the Sens have 4 contracts that don't count.

Therefore by my math they have 48 of the 50.

So if/when Rutkowski is signed the Sens still have space for 2 additional signings since he also falls under the junior rule.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Culek's contract should also slide, no?
Without trades we have Alfredsson, Lats, Caporusso, Jessiman, Lundin, Regin, Daugavins, Gonchar, Benoit who could go unsigned.
And we have to make room for Ceci, Noesen, Puempel, Culek, Rutkowski and possibly Sdao.

These guys are already signed.

Culek misses by 8 days, I thought his birth date was later, my bad for not checking.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
so i'm assuming he's eligible to play for bingo as of right now. any chance he joins them soon?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
we're full.

52 with kassian

- 3 SR contracts (noesen, puempel, ceci)

+ Rutkowski = 50.

We need to ditch a few contracts.

Exactly what I was saying, we're full on contracts and will be for a while. Being worried about losing a few late round picks is useless. We will be forced to let prospects/players walk for nothing a lot in the next few years, better players than the prospects we could get in the 6th/7th rounds (except a few miracles)

Appreciate the info on him, thanks. It's probably best for our fanbase to temper their expectations a bit. And it's good to hear a realistic report on him now than much later down the line.

To be honest we don't really need him to be anything more than a good AHL D-man... For the NHL, we already have :

Karlsson-Cowen-Methot-Wiercioch-Gryba-Borowiecki
Ceci-Claesson-Wikstrand-Sdao-Blood-Wideman...

We are really fine as far as defensive depth is concerned

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Their contracts slide this year and most likely won't slide next year in AHL.
Rutkowski signing is confirmed btw.

I shouldn't have discounted Culek, thought his birthday was later in September, my bad.

So with Rutkowski the Sens have reached the 50 contract limit.

Last edited:

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Exactly what I was saying, we're full on contracts and will be for a while. Being worried about losing a few late round picks is useless. We will be forced to let prospects/players walk for nothing a lot in the next few years, better players than the prospects we could get in the 6th/7th rounds (except a few miracles)

The Sens are with the Rutkowski announcement.

I have to suspect Murray has plans to move a few of the contracts by the trade deadline to open up a few spaces for potential college signings.

source

Jul 13, 2008

To be honest we don't really need him to be anything more than a good AHL D-man... For the NHL, we already have :

Karlsson-Cowen-Methot-Wiercioch-Gryba-Borowiecki
Ceci-Claesson-Wikstrand-Sdao-Blood-Wideman...

We are really fine as far as defensive depth is concerned

If that is our d-core going forward, there will be problems. What's happens if we have 2 injuries to our top6, to Methot and Wiercioch for example?

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
If that is our d-core going forward, there will be problems. What's happens if we have 2 injuries to our top6, to Methot and Wiercioch for example?

I don't think it looks that bad. Legit #1 with Karlsson, a potential 2/3 guy in Cowen, a 3/4 in Methot, a top-4 guy in Ceci, a 4/5 in Wiercioch, and a bunch of bottom pairing guys. At the very least, that's a serviceable blueline. Maybe we'd add another top-4 guy for a Cup run.

source

Jul 13, 2008
I don't think it looks that bad. Legit #1 with Karlsson, a potential 2/3 guy in Cowen, a 3/4 in Methot, a top-4 guy in Ceci, a 4/5 in Wiercioch, and a bunch of bottom pairing guys. At the very least, that's a serviceable blueline. Maybe we'd add another top-4 guy for a Cup run.

My main concern was if injuries hit, but in no way is Ceci close to being a #4 guy yet. Is this projection for 2014-2015? In that case it's much more reasonable.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Yeah, or you could have him AND the 6th pick.

This has nothing to do with that trade. It doesn't make up for it (if it needs to be made up for) and doesn't explain it.

ITS A 6th ROUND PICK. Ottawa got a heavy for when they play within the division they didnt have one STOP COMPLAINING

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad