Confirmed with Link: Sens Sign D Troy Rutkowski to ELC

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Because the guy called Rutkowski a physical defender. But thanks guys for nitpicking the MOST unimportant part of the post. :laugh:

That poster pretty much just looks at the height of a prospect and if he's 6'2 or taller he likes him.

I haven't the least bit of doubt that 3 years ago he would have traded Erik Karlsson for Hal Gill. He likes tall players. It's his thing; a fixation on big, tough, manly players who may or may not possess good hockey skills.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
What? Rutkowski has no edge to his game what-so-ever. He hits, but is NO where close to McIlrath. Also Rutkowski is a decent skater as well.

I was able to watch him the last 3 years of his career and he simply didn't progress like the Avs would've hoped, also don't think his stats are great for an overage defenseman. After my 25th or 30th viewing of him I suggest that he is a lot like Matt Hunwick. Hunwick is a better skater, but Rutkowski is a tougher player. Both have the same skill set as a bottom pairing OFD. As a WHL scout and Avs fan, I think we should've given him a shot with a ELC, but TBH he isn't that big of a deal.

Hope he progresses for you guys and becomes a bottom pairing defenseman, but don't be surprised if he's a good AHL player, but isn't made for the NHL.

Appreciate the info on him, thanks. It's probably best for our fanbase to temper their expectations a bit. And it's good to hear a realistic report on him now than much later down the line.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
That poster pretty much just looks at the height of a prospect and if he's 6'2 or taller he likes him.

I haven't the least bit of doubt that 3 years ago he would have traded Erik Karlsson for Hal Gill. He likes tall players. It's his thing; a fixation on big, tough, manly players who may or may not possess good hockey skills.

In other words, he's a big fan of the "truculence."

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

:laugh:

We have a few of those on the Avs board as well. But yeah you can't look at size and get an opinion on him. Because everyone would think 5' 11" - 169lbs Rinaldo is a soft player. I actually don't think he is 169, more like 180ish, but says it on the Flyers website, http://flyers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
:laugh:

We have a few of those on the Avs board as well. But yeah you can't look at size and get an opinion on him. Because everyone would think 5' 11" - 169lbs Rinaldo is a soft player. I actually don't think he is 169, more like 180ish, but says it on the Flyers website, http://flyers.nhl.com/club/roster.htm

Agreed.

Marchand
St. Louis
Alfredsson
the list goes

Hell even Gallagher for the Habs tonight. Diving puke that he is, he's still far from a soft player.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Agreed.

Marchand
St. Louis
Alfredsson
the list goes

Hell even Gallagher for the Habs tonight. Diving puke that he is, he's still far from a soft player.

I say such people should be sentenced to watch Theo Fleury career highlight videos on an infinite loop.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I just saw the past few games, it's only a 2 game sample size so take it as a grain of salt.

What jumped out at me was his play on the PP. It seemed to be a lot less conventional, he would start at the point, and work his way in front of the net. Now I assume this is how the Winterhawks want to set up the PP, but to see him in front of the net was surprising to me. I also wonder if that's how he has 20 goals this season.

Besides that, he looked pretty average on a very good hockey club. Not good, not bad, just average. However, it could turn into a pretty decent pickup, the Sens seem to get the most out of their young players/prospects.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
True but that Karlsson sucked, was barely an all-star, and like Phil Kessel, was the last D picked at the all-star game.

Yep, a flash-in-the-pan defensive liability. And without any shred of truculence, to make matters worse.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
I like when the Murrays make aggressive moves like this - hopefully it pays off down the road. Haven't seen Rutkowski play much, but his statistics certainly suggest he has potential.

My guess is that the Sens brass feel that Rutkowski has more upside and a better chance to make the NHL than Jordan Fransoo (7th rounder in 2011) and that they will let Fransoo go unsigned at June 1st...but just speculation on my part.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
As I said in the trade rumour thread. Brilliant signing. I know a friend who watched the Winterhawks and he raves about this kid so much. An overager but this guy is a leader who drops the gloves when he has to, is very physical and has a brilliant shot.

Does not compute.

What? Rutkowski has no edge to his game what-so-ever. He hits, but is NO where close to McIlrath. Also Rutkowski is a decent skater as well.

I was able to watch him the last 3 years of his career and he simply didn't progress like the Avs would've hoped, also don't think his stats are great for an overage defenseman. After my 25th or 30th viewing of him I suggest that he is a lot like Matt Hunwick. Hunwick is a better skater, but Rutkowski is a tougher player. Both have the same skill set as a bottom pairing OFD. As a WHL scout and Avs fan, I think we should've given him a shot with a ELC, but TBH he isn't that big of a deal.

Hope he progresses for you guys and becomes a bottom pairing defenseman, but don't be surprised if he's a good AHL player, but isn't made for the NHL.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Great article, and a great find!

Now I'm praying that there's truth to this rumor, especially with the Justin Schultz comparison and the ugly memories of a certain "great one" putting the kibosh on that deal.

I don't get the Schultz comparison though. If Rutkowski really is physical, a captain and leader, and will drop the gloves they don't really sound similar in playstyle. For some reason I thought of a Phaneuf-lite when they described him -- maybe a bit more willing to drop the gloves.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
I don't get the Schultz comparison though. If Rutkowski really is physical, a captain and leader, and will drop the gloves they don't really sound similar in playstyle. For some reason I thought of a Phaneuf-lite when they described him -- maybe a bit more willing to drop the gloves.

To me it read more like a comparison of signing circumstances... how Schultz was coming out of college and the Avs let Rutkowski's rights expire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad