Confirmed with Link: Sens Sign D Troy Rutkowski to ELC

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
The Sens are with the Rutkowski announcement.

I have to suspect Murray has plans to move a few of the contracts by the trade deadline to open up a few spaces for potential college signings.

Rutkowski's contract doesn't count against the 50 contract limit until next season. Any contract signed after March 1st can have its start "pushed back" to the following year. The same would apply to Sdao, Aneloksi, Fransoo or any other player the Sens wished to sign in the coming weeks.

The exception to the above are highly sought after college free agents such as Butler and Da Costa. In recent years these players have begun demanding at least one NHL game in the current season so as to start their contract immediately.

Currently the Sens are at 52 contracts, but only 49 count against the limit as Noesen, Ceci and Puempel will slide.

It's not an urgent situation.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I'm guessing Rutkowski is probably better than 90% of the college FAs. Unless we get one of Carey, Dekeyser or Sustr we probably aren't going to get a better prospect for free

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Once again he's an overager, playing on a really stacked team. I'm not saying it's a bad signing, but he's not likely to be much more than a bottom pairing D-man if he's even good enough for the NHL at all.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
Once again he's an overager, playing on a really stacked team. I'm not saying it's a bad signing, but he's not likely to be much more than a bottom pairing D-man if he's even good enough for the NHL at all.

You know, we do have scouts and they likely look into everything from team play and talent to individual contribution as well as other assets a player might suppose. Whether or not he is an NHL player is always the question... even if we draft #1... ie: Daigle.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Rutkowski's contract doesn't count against the 50 contract limit until next season. Any contract signed after March 1st can have its start "pushed back" to the following year. The same would apply to Sdao, Aneloksi, Fransoo or any other player the Sens wished to sign in the coming weeks.

The exception to the above are highly sought after college free agents such as Butler and Da Costa. In recent years these players have begun demanding at least one NHL game in the current season so as to start their contract immediately.

Currently the Sens are at 52 contracts, but only 49 count against the limit as Noesen, Ceci and Puempel will slide.

It's not an urgent situation.

Not sure what article covers this in the CBA, but I would be interested in knowing.

The only article I am aware of is,

Article 50.8 (d) No Club or Player may enter into an SPC that does not cover at least the then current League Year. The foregoing does not apply to an SPC entered into pursuant to Section 50.5(f) above, or to Unsigned Draft Choices or Draft Related Unrestricted Free Agents, who shall be permitted to sign an SPC during the period from March 1 through June 1 immediately preceding the League Year in which such SPC is to take effect.

This provision allows teams to sign players they don't intend to play in the current season, however teams aren't limited by this article as I understand it.

So if the Sens wanted to have Rutkowski play in Binghamton at the end of his junior season the could just sign him to a SPC effective immediately and he would count against the 50 limit.

Obviously could be missing something, as I am not a CBA expert.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
I am always glad when Ottawa signs a new undrafted player to a ELC . As I see it the man has been scouted and shows promise to be signed.

HEY DD made it up to Ottawa as a undrafted player who unlike Troy also played in a lower junior league so maybe Troy will make it up to Ottawa also.

Ya never know so lets just sit back and see how Troy develops........

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
You posted the relevant part of the CBA yourself.

The foregoing does not apply to an SPC entered into pursuant to Section 50.5(f) above, or to Unsigned Draft Choices or Draft Related Unrestricted Free Agents, who shall be permitted to sign an SPC during the period from March 1 through June 1 immediately preceding the League Year in which such SPC is to take effect.

Rutkowski is a UFA, and thus can be signed to an SPC "immediately preceding the League Year in which such SPC is to take effect".

If they want him to play in Binghamton they'll just sign him to an ATO which has no impact on the SPC start date. Same thing is going on with Sdao.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
You posted the relevant part of the CBA yourself.

Rutkowski is a UFA, and thus can be signed to an SPC "immediately preceding the League Year in which such SPC is to take effect".

If they want him to play in Binghamton they'll just sign him to an ATO which has no impact on the SPC start date. Same thing is going on with Sdao.

Thanks

The Fuhr*

Nothing wrong with getting a free bottom pair guy potentially

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't watch UMinn games, but looking at their roster, its pretty stacked. Are his stats inflated or is he that good?

Could be, I have only watched a few games of Minny this year.

But he is a good skater with really good first pass.
Don't know how good his shot is.
Tough player with puck, but not overally physical.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Wild fans seem to be crazy about Schmidt. Being from MN and studying at UMinn I don't see him going anywhere else.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I like hard working players with tools. Especially when their teammates rave about them. Those are the most likely players, IMO, to exceed expectations.

WhiteLight*

I dub thee ''Troy McClure''

Hi I'm Troy McClure, you might remember me from

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
The one thing I've gotten from the reports & articles is that he is a real character guy, a team player, and showing leadership skills. Even is he is just an AHL player for us it's great to have those types of guys in the organization.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
For me a good question is why would Rutkowski choose to sign with the Senators? Organizationally speaking, the Sens have little room for him.

IMO is that the answer is development. He choose Ottawa because he has a better potential to develop into an NHL player.

Look at the Justin Schultz situation. He choose Edmonton because he though that it was going to be a team for the future where he could play a big role. He got the big role, but the team is floundering because the "team" is weak. I am betting that in retrospect, Schultz would have preferred Ottawa's team to Edmonton's stars.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
I doubt very much that Justin Schultz's decsion would be different knowing what he knows today. The reality of it is he'll put up more points playing on the Oilers than he would here and more points will translate into a higher salary for him on his next contract.

He'll be there's number one offensive dman for years to come and will be paid accordingly for it.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I doubt very much that Justin Schultz's decsion would be different knowing what he knows today. The reality of it is he'll put up more points playing on the Oilers than he would here and more points will translate into a higher salary for him on his next contract.

He'll be there's number one offensive dman for years to come and will be paid accordingly for it.

I think he'd have a better opportunity in Ottawa to grow and become a better player (worth more money) in a winning environment and playing with more talented players.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For me a good question is why would Rutkowski choose to sign with the Senators? Organizationally speaking, the Sens have little room for him.

IMO is that the answer is development. He choose Ottawa because he has a better potential to develop into an NHL player.

Look at the Justin Schultz situation. He choose Edmonton because he though that it was going to be a team for the future where he could play a big role. He got the big role, but the team is floundering because the "team" is weak. I am betting that in retrospect, Schultz would have preferred Ottawa's team to Edmonton's stars.

Meh, Edm is a young team. It could turn around in a hurry with some goaltending and the right coach. Just look at how bad Chicago was when some of there now core group was young (edit: specifically the D). 3 years before winning the cup, they were a lottery team for the third time in a row.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad