Confirmed with Link: Sens Sign D Troy Rutkowski to ELC

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
For me a good question is why would Rutkowski choose to sign with the Senators? Organizationally speaking, the Sens have little room for him.

Because unlike Schultz there was nobody else interested in Rutkowski. It was us or no one. COL already let their rights expire on him after drafting him, shows what kind of "value" was placed on him.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
The part often overlooked is we have one of the most effective development systems in hockey...there is tangible proof of this. Players come here and they have a good chance of becoming NHLers.

And every asset we turn into an NHLer has a chance to be an asset used to make the organization better.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
For me a good question is why would Rutkowski choose to sign with the Senators? Organizationally speaking, the Sens have little room for him.

IMO is that the answer is development. He choose Ottawa because he has a better potential to develop into an NHL player.

Look at the Justin Schultz situation. He choose Edmonton because he though that it was going to be a team for the future where he could play a big role. He got the big role, but the team is floundering because the "team" is weak. I am betting that in retrospect, Schultz would have preferred Ottawa's team to Edmonton's stars.

All good points. I think players and agents will be taking note of the opportunities guys from the system are getting this year. Could pay dividends for the future reputation of the club as a developmental hub - come to Ottawa, where you'll get a chance to develop and play. Players can benefit from there being a logjam at a position - you can tell that even from a reclamation project like Carkner, who got to play and then had his payday elsewhere when he was deemed surplus to requirements.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012

IMO is that the answer is development. He choose Ottawa because he has a better potential to develop into an NHL player.

Look at the Justin Schultz situation. He choose Edmonton because he though that it was going to be a team for the future where he could play a big role. He got the big role, but the team is floundering because the "team" is weak. I am betting that in retrospect, Schultz would have preferred Ottawa's team to Edmonton's stars.

I should say that I agree about Ottawa's development, as well as Schultz, but I don't think that in Rutkowski's case he had the luxury of very many options or suitors.

metalfoot

Karlsson!
Dec 21, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
A buddy of mine who watches the Portland WHL team religiously thinks we've got a good d-man in this signing. So I'll take his eye-witness evidence for now!

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
Because unlike Schultz there was nobody else interested in Rutkowski. It was us or no one. COL already let their rights expire on him after drafting him, shows what kind of "value" was placed on him.

I should say that I agree about Ottawa's development, as well as Schultz, but I don't think that in Rutkowski's case he had the luxury of very many options or suitors.

Are you related to him? his agent? How do you know this? Do you have a link? A source? Or is it just supposition on your part? You know this how exactly?

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
Are you related to him? his agent? How do you know this? Do you have a link? A source? Or is it just supposition on your part? You know this how exactly?

I'd say it's a pretty good supposition. Players who are passed on by the team that drafted them don't typically have a bunch of teams knocking down the door to sign them.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Excuse me but how do you know that? Are you some kind of insider?

Ok so I wasn't the only wondering about this... Well, this is a board of speculation after all.

Last edited:

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
A buddy of mine who watches the Portland WHL team religiously thinks we've got a good d-man in this signing. So I'll take his eye-witness evidence for now!

As a Winterhawks fan, I think you've got decent potential being made from nothing here.

I've liked Rutkowski quite a bit. He's a two-way defender who'll always be able to contribute. A bit of a jack of all trades type of player...he hits, defends reasonably, and has good offensive talents. The biggest thing that's improved since his draft year has been his own end play. He used to lean more offensively before.

The biggest issue, and it still is, is his consistency. It's dogged him since he was drafted. He's been absolutely amazing at times, but near invisible a week later. And this is an issue if you're a man in a boy's league and doing this. Fair enough, he's got Wortherspoon, Pouliot, and Jones who also drown him out a bit if he's quiet, but it still is problematic when you can vanish every once in a while.

Realistically, he's probably a 6th-7th D type of prospect with the possibility of going a little higher if he can work out his consistency issues. He's got a lot of tools with him, but unless he puts it together on a regular basis, it's likely that he'll be the type of player who gets rotated in and out. There's a decent chance he won't and he'll just become a "good AHLer".

Good move by the Sens though. These are the type of players you should be developing in house. Getting it for free is nice.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Nice, I liked this signing. Leading a Juggernaut team like the Winterhawks. Nice pick-up on this one.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012

I was going by the fact that his rights were lapsed a year ago and nothing has happened in the interim. I was simply trying to say that it's a different situation than Schultz, who by all accounts had a number of teams buzzing.

But no, I wasn't trying to pose as a definitive source. I was replying to a speculative post with speculation of my own, sorry to cause a stir.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->