Sens players caught ripping coaches, laughing about team on video

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I believe every person working that has a boss at some point in their life has been frustrated with their boss and vented. I'd bet that number is 90% or higher.
They didn't vent. They mocked him. You're just tossing numbers out there, but I'm pretty sure what they did isn't something every player does. Venting and being frustrated at your boss is completely different.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
Guy in the middle (Chabot?) is wasted.

I actually like that Duchene sounds irritated that his time is wasted in pointless meetings and nothing ever changes in x's and o's despite that it's not working. Though admitting, in what sounds all seriousness, that he hasn't paid attention in 3 weeks is a bad look. But I'd be more concerned if he were making a joke out of how bad they are (like the guy in the front seat), he sounds frustrated.

Reactions: stampedingviking

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
They didn't vent. They mocked him. You're just tossing numbers out there, but I'm pretty sure what they did isn't something every player does. Venting and being frustrated at your boss is completely different.
Venting is a result of frustration. Somoene doesn't just wake up in the morning and start venting. Cause and effect.

Reactions: Fixxer

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I did comment that the situation should be handled internally. Also, that the Uber driver should never have posted the video, but also Uber drivers do need these kinds of cameras.

I personally believe these guys could sue the Uber driver for this. This was something meant to be behind closed doors.

But this is what I think would get Matt Duchene traded sooner.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
If only the OTT players had the stones to tell their coach that they aren't finding the review/meetings to be informative or stimulating.

Sad.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
If only the OTT players had the stones to tell their coach that they aren't finding the review/meetings to be informative or stimulating.

Sad.
Sad? How many players on other teams do this? You sound like speaking up to your coaches is a common thing. How often do you walk into your boss's office and tell him he's doing something wrong?

Reactions: Fixxer

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Sad? How many players on other teams do this? You sound like speaking up to your coaches is a common thing. How often do you walk into your boss's office and tell him he's doing something wrong?
That's what captains are for. The letters are not just for show.

InAllOurLeafsCommand

Apr 9, 2017
Having watched a few Sens games this year....are they wrong? Their defensive system is awful, seems to be make soft plays around the boards to keep players to the outside, and then collapse on the goalie after getting caved in again and again. If that's the system they are being forced to execute without change, then I don't blame them for blowing off some steam.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
That's what captains are for. The letters are not just for show.
Every player vents and every player gets frustrated with coaching staff, other players or someone in the organization. This includes captains. Only reason this is news is that it was illegally captured on video for the purpose of turning a profit. I'm hoping it has the effect that it will actually improve the pk. At least the pk coach knows his strategy is not being accepted and might be more creative.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Venting is a result of frustration. Somoene doesn't just wake up in the morning and start venting. Cause and effect.
Venting and being frustrated at your boss is completely different than mocking. I wasn't saying venting and frustrated are different.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Venting and being frustrated at your boss is completely different than mocking. I wasn't saying venting and frustrated are different.
Venting can and does at times include mocking. It includes being condescending. Venting isn't only punching holes through dry wall. What you saw in the cab was a form of venting.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What was with the 'f*** you' from the driver at the end?

I was waiting for him to rip into an outstanding driving all alone version of 'Come Sail Away'. :laugh:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Coaches may suck, but these players should take some responsibility. The pp and pk % aren't all on the coaches in the slightest.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Every player vents and every player gets frustrated with coaching staff, other players or someone in the organization. This includes captains. Only reason this is news is that it was illegally captured on video for the purpose of turning a profit. I'm hoping it has the effect that it will actually improve the pk. At least the pk coach knows his strategy is not being accepted and might be more creative.
There's nothing illegal about the video. Dick move? Yea. Illegal? Nope.

Reactions: TheSituation

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The Uber driver should be sued for leaking what are supposed to be private records.

They are only private depending upon where you are.

In Canada...Canada’s Criminal Code says that persons who “intercept a private communication” are guilty of an indictable offense that comes with a prison term of up to five years. Elliott Goldstein, a lawyer with Epstein and Associates, author and frequent consultant for the security industry, said that while one-on-one conversations between a driver and a single passenger might not fall into this category, “as soon as two passengers are talking to one another, [the driver has] got a problem with the Criminal Code.”

The States are far more open to having the drivers recording their vehicle's passengers as far as I can see, but it varies state to state. California, for example, has two-party consent, meaning a private conversation can only be recorded with the consent of all parties. Other states only restrict audio recording where there’s a “reasonable expectation” of privacy.

In Arizona, where this took place, the law says it's a "one-party consent", the driver being considered the one party. As long as the driver had a sign in his car saying that passengers are being recorded, you give your consent by entering the vehicle.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
There's nothing illegal about the video. Dick move? Yea. Illegal? Nope.
It is illegal if you don't provide consent to be videotaped. Read Arizona state law. "Arizona Illegal filming and Photography laws. A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly photograph, videotape, film, digitally record or by any other means secretly view, with or without a device, another person without that person's consent."

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
It is illegal if you don't provide consent to be videotaped. Read Arizona state law. "Arizona Illegal filming and Photography laws. A. It is unlawful for any person to knowingly photograph, videotape, film, digitally record or by any other means secretly view, with or without a device, another person without that person's consent."

As I said above...As long as the driver had a sign in his car saying that passengers are being recorded, you give your consent by entering the vehicle.

This has already gone thru the courts in Missouri where they also have "one-party consent". An Uber driver there was recording and posting everything onto Youtube. Because he had a publicly displayed notice in his car saying he was recording passengers it was deemed by the law, that by using his service, you had given your consent.

He was removed from Uber because it was bad PR for Uber and just a bad move, but it was not illegal.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
I think the bad look is on uber or whoever leaked a private conversation. It's a cringeworthy situation but I can't really hold it against the players, only because I don't know anybody who has ever played sports and never complained about their coaches, whether it's high school, pro sports or anything in between.

Last edited:

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
As I said above...As long as the driver had a sign in his car saying that passengers are being recorded, you give your consent by entering the vehicle.

This has already gone thru the courts in Missouri where they also have "one-party consent". An Uber driver there was recording and posting everything onto Youtube. Because he had a publicly displayed notice in his car saying he was recording passengers it was deemed by the law, that by using his service, you had given your consent.

He was removed from Uber because it was bad PR for Uber and just a bad move, but it was not illegal.
There is no indication from any story I have read that any sign was posted in the vehicle and I'd say 9 out of 10 cars do not post anything. Hence, the drive can't hide behind that paper wall. In this case he should be held liable. However, the team probably doesn't want to add any oxygen to this story and considers the matter closed.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Not sure if this has been mentioned but at the end of the video the driver can be heard saying "f*** you" while looking at a screen, presumably his phone. I wonder if him leaking this video is out of anger because this group of highly paid NHL'ers left him a bad tip, or no tip?

In any case, what an incredibly awkward situation for everyone involved. How do these players interact with thier coaches going forward and vice-versa?

Reactions: CrypTic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad