OT: Sens Lounge XCX +1: NO POLITICS DAMNIT! edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Sunday in Kanata had plenty of seats available for the many of the shows during the evening. THe theatre i saw it in wasn't even half full at 10:50. Had to work in the morning, but didn't want to have it spoiled so I went. I avoided places where spoilers happen, because the onus was on me to avoid spoilers, not the world to prevent me from seeing them.

Equating "hey, maybe we should take it easy on the spoilers for this massive movie that came out last week in our catch-all thread" to "the world bending overbackwards to protect the ignorant" is a bit ridiculous. Equating a week to 3 decades is even more ridiculous.

That's the thing about being a good guy: it isn't easy and is a thankless position.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18Hossa and DrEasy

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Equating "hey, maybe we should take it easy on the spoilers for this massive movie that came out last week in our catch-all thread" to "the world bending overbackwards to protect the ignorant" is a bit ridiculous. Equating a week to 3 decades is even more ridiculous.

That's the thing about being a good guy: it isn't easy and a thankless position.
At the very least people could tag their post at the top with a spoiler alert or use white text. Its just common courtesy. Its like waiting till a whistle to go back to your seat at a sporting event.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
This comes up every single time a big movie or big TV show comes out.

Honestly it's a crappy move if you come in here the day it comes out or the next day but anything after a few days you really can't expect people to not talk about it.

If the entertainment section wouldn't just be the same 4 or 5 people arguing about the same thing they have been arguing about for the past five years, more people would go there.

We don't have a place on HFSens to discuss these things, maybe we should open an entertainment thread here?

Reactions: PoutineSp00nZ

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
This comes up every single time a big movie or big TV show comes out.

Honestly it's a crappy move if you come in here the day it comes out or the next day but anything after a few days you really can't expect people to not talk about it.

If the entertainment section wouldn't just be the same 4 or 5 people arguing about the same thing they have been arguing about for the past five years, more people would go there.

We don't have a place on HFSens to discuss these things, maybe we should open an entertainment thread here?

Agreed on the quality of posters on the entertainment subforum but even if the people who post there tend to be very young or very dumb, you usually find a few posts from observant, intelligent people (no, I am not one of those people).

We have a section for spoiler-y stuff. I must admit to being a big confused at the reticence of using it.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
So How bout that Game of Thrones episode?

A few points in the episode I legit felt like man everyone is going to die. I think they did a good job with that. I am going to wait for the series to finish till I really criticize anything about the story.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
So How bout that Game of Thrones episode?

Really have not been enjoying the series since last season. You know every main character is going to survive, so it really kills the suspense and tension. The ending was exceptionally lame. Zero build up at all. Apparently that's what they were going for, though. Oh well.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The episode in GoT had some great moments but some really deflating ones as well.

Uneven but the ending makes it feel worse than it actually was.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I can't make it through the episodes. I don't know, I really liked the start (season 1-3ish) but somewhere around the middle seasons I just didn't feel the need to watch it as it aired. And that turned into not watching until the season ended and now where I've missed chunks of seasons.

The episodes I watched last season felt noticeably worse now that they've left the books behind.

I'll probably watch the last episode and read summaries about the middle episodes just to find out what happens.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I can't make it through the episodes. I don't know, I really liked the start (season 1-3ish) but somewhere around the middle seasons I just didn't feel the need to watch it as it aired. And that turned into not watching until the season ended and now where I've missed chunks of seasons.

The episodes I watched last season felt noticeably worse now that they've left the books behind.

I'll probably watch the last episode and read summaries about the middle episodes just to find out what happens.

Once the show got ahead of the books, it got really silly. Recovered a bit but they still don't come anywhere near seasons 1 through 3 or 4.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I guess all the PTSD I got from the early seasons of GoT built up my defenses so much that character deaths don't do anything to me anymore.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Once the show got ahead of the books, it got really silly. Recovered a bit but they still don't come anywhere near seasons 1 through 3 or 4.

I'll check out that spinoff of Game of Thrones and hopefully I enjoy that more. I'm a nerd so I really liked world Game of Thrones created I guess I just wasn't quite cut out for the longevity of the series. I really liked Harry Potter movies for the visual world it created, same for Lord of the Rings, I'm excited and hopeful Amazon will air that project. Hell even Underworld with Kate Beckinsale was fun despite being typical shallow action movies, plus Kate Beckinsale.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I don't care about the movie, but I think that it would be reasonable for this lounge to have a rule that any spoilers for film/tv that is less than a month old gets spoiler tagged.
If you don't watch it within a week of it's release then it's not even a high enough priority in your life. A 1 week limit is fine. People should be able to talk about it when it's still relevant. :popcorn:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Takes two clicks to add a spoiler tag to some text. Just a nice little thing to do for fellow posters.

Now, how long folks need a spoiler...damned if I know.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Takes two clicks to add a spoiler tag to some text. Just a nice little thing to do for fellow posters.

Now, how long folks need a spoiler...damned if I know.

I am no authority on the matter but I think two weeks in the Lounge is more than fair.

Again, we have a dedicated sub-forum for this kind of stuff and it has a pretty active spoiler thread for Endgame. If you want to talk spoilers, people should go there. The quality of posters in that thread doesn't make it ok to spill the beans out of nowhere in the Lounge.

If we didn't have the Entertainement forum it would be a different matter but we do have one.

As a 35 year old who loves video games, I am more than aware of people who take the spoiler stuff way too far but that hasn't been an issue here. NAo one complained about spoiler talk in the Lounge so maybe I am being too strict, I am mostly talking about my own behaviour and the rules I set for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad