OT: Sens Lounge XCX +1: NO POLITICS DAMNIT! edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
Enjoyable despite Jon & Co being terrible military tacticians.
They had days to prepare for what was essentially a running wall stampede of dead.

Good luck.
Super suspenseful, still trying to figure out what Jon was doing just yelling at that dragon though after he couldn't get by it to the NK.
The leading theory is he was yelling to Arya to run/kill the NK

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
I thought he just couldn't get around it and decided he's either going through it or dying trying cause he's out of time and options.

I took it as that as well, the dragon is blocking his entrance to that wooded area. I have read the yelling to Arya theory and essentially sacrificing himself which could make sense, all that is missing is having her appear somewhere before, during or a reference after the scene which to my knowledge never occurred. As it stands to me it was very strange and I take it as Jon just giving up I guess. Either way I still enjoyed it and try not to analyze a show with dragons and magic in it too much, the entertainment thread on GoT is laughable for this imo.

Reactions: DrEasy

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
I took it as that as well, the dragon is blocking his entrance to that wooded area. I have read the yelling to Arya theory and essentially sacrificing himself which could make sense, all that is missing is having her appear somewhere before, during or a reference after the scene which to my knowledge never occurred. As it stands to me it was very strange and I take it as Jon just giving up I guess. Either way I still enjoyed it and try not to analyze a show with dragons and magic in it too much, the entertainment thread on GoT is laughable for this imo.

Ya the entertainment board is special on here. But ya I don't even know how we would know Arya was making a move on the NK. If he knew why would he have tried so hard to get to Bran ? He essentially left Sam to die (which I think they should've killed him when Jon saw him and just kept going)

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Ya the entertainment board is special on here. But ya I don't even know how we would know Arya was making a move on the NK. If he knew why would he have tried so hard to get to Bran ? He essentially left Sam to die (which I think they should've killed him when Jon saw him and just kept going)

Agreed, add in if she was referenced or seen by Jon prior to the NK scene it would seemingly ruin the surprise.

Harbinger

sing for absolution
Mar 8, 2008
Edmonton
So coffee DRM is a thing now thanks to Keurig. Those knobs.
They had days to prepare for what was essentially a running wall stampede of dead.

Good luck.

Not to be an ass, but they did know the dead were on their way for quite some time now.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013

Not to be an ass, but they did know the dead were on their way for quite some time now.
The King in the North and the southern armies arrived at Winterfell days before the battle.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown

I'll admit that I've never understood how that company has conned millions upon millions of people into buying their product.

It's EXORBITANTLY expensive coffee, and mediocre at best in quality. Are people really that lazy that they can't be bothered to make a cup of coffee on their own... which is itself already super easy & quick to do?

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
Saw Long Shot last night. Phenomenal movie. So funny and moving. Very enjoyable. Definitely want to see it again.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'll admit that I've never understood how that company has conned millions upon millions of people into buying their product.

It's EXORBITANTLY expensive coffee, and mediocre at best in quality. Are people really that lazy that they can't be bothered to make a cup of coffee on their own... which is itself already super easy & quick to do?

I've been spoiled by jura machines which are amazing but you can get fully automated coffee machines starting at around 500 bucks and they will grind fresh the beans of your choice at the touch of a button a brew it on the spot much cheaper per cup and much better.

Phillips makes one for about 500.

Saeco XSmall HD8645/8745/8651 independent review. A smart buy?

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I have seen very little of GoT and I’m happy I avoided this crazy. I just don’t get it.

Saw Long Shot last night. Phenomenal movie. So funny and moving. Very enjoyable. Definitely want to see it again.

upload_2019-5-4_8-8-33.jpeg

Really? Like - really? I read the first five words of the synopsis and lost interest. “Xxxxxx Xxxxx, an unemployed journalist....”

However, Seth and Evans “Future Man” series is absolute comic gold. Wolf may be the best character ever written.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
I have seen very little of GoT and I’m happy I avoided this crazy. I just don’t get it.

View attachment 224121

Really? Like - really? I read the first five words of the synopsis and lost interest. “Xxxxxx Xxxxx, an unemployed journalist....”

However, Seth and Evans “Future Man” series is absolute comic gold. Wolf may be the best character ever written.

No it's excellent. Hilarious movie. Really well done.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007

It's actually a pretty awesome machine. We have one, and you can make custom cups. You can make a cup of coffee in less than a minute, which is also true with tea. Mine always makes the perfect cup. When you make it yourself, a cup is only a few cents.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It isn't that different than Apple really.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Ive had a tossimo, I've had an espresso machine, french press. To be completely honest, I find the coffee is better than pretty much anything if you get some decent beans and grind them into a dripper.

I had a nice dripper, but the pot broke, and a new pot was 50 dollars. So I just bought a cheapo walmart machine for 30 bucks and the coffee is delicious.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary

Yes. People are that lazy. It is like how people will squeeze into the closest parking spot, even if the other cars leave barely any space, despite wide open spots a few lanes down.

It isn't that different than Apple really.

I'd say Apple is a bit different. I think Apple more than anything sells a brand, and people buy that brand because it is "cool". Also since Apples product line is relatively limited towards the higher end of consumer devices (I know there is better stuff, but their stuff isn't terrible or entry level even if I dislike them) they are convincing people that don't need a premium product that they do. Working as a salesperson in an electronics department I have learned to tread carefully when recommending alternative brands to someone who asked for Apple. Many people are about four pitchers into the Kool aid there.

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
I'd say Apple is a bit different. I think Apple more than anything sells a brand, and people buy that brand because it is "cool". Also since Apples product line is relatively limited towards the higher end of consumer devices (I know there is better stuff, but their stuff isn't terrible or entry level even if I dislike them) they are convincing people that don't need a premium product that they do. Working as a salesperson in an electronics department I have learned to tread carefully when recommending alternative brands to someone who asked for Apple. Many people are about four pitchers into the Kool aid there.

I think that's definitely one aspect of it. I also think that the perceived universality and easy of use is another big driver with Apple. Although in reality, it's really easy to sync an Android phone's content with your PC, Chromecast, bluetooth devices, ect., Apple does a good job of making it seem as though using their products is the easiest way to live your life. You can get an Apple computer, an Apple phone, Apple headphones, Apple TV, ect. If you have one Apple product you can easily use any other Apple product with it.

PC's and Android have a reputation of requiring some fiddling. There's lots of different brands, different software, different standards. Some people can't be bothered. They rather pay more for a product that may technically be worse (although, like you say, they are still good products, just not so much relative to the price of the hardware within them). They know the tech support is friendly, ethusiastic, and reliable, which is good for anyone who is worried about their product not working. This all plays into the brand appeal, but I think Apple is successful for more than simply being, as you say, "cool".

That said, PC for life.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I think that's definitely one aspect of it. I also think that the perceived universality and easy of use is another big driver with Apple. Although in reality, it's really easy to sync an Android phone's content with your PC, Chromecast, bluetooth devices, ect., Apple does a good job of making it seem as though using their products is the easiest way to live your life. You can get an Apple computer, an Apple phone, Apple headphones, Apple TV, ect. If you have one Apple product you can easily use any other Apple product with it.

PC's and Android have a reputation of requiring some fiddling. There's lots of different brands, different software, different standards. Some people can't be bothered. They rather pay more for a product that may technically be worse (although, like you say, they are still good products, just not so much relative to the price of the hardware within them). They know the tech support is friendly, ethusiastic, and reliable, which is good for anyone who is worried about their product not working. This all plays into the brand appeal, but I think Apple is successful for more than simply being, as you say, "cool".

That said, PC for life.

Yeah I can see that being the perception even if I think some of it is wrong. For instance one thing I don't like about Apple is how they try and limit you to just using Apple stuff. Like how iPads don't have SD slots (but you can pay for Apple cloud), or the lightning port instead of micro USB, or the no headphone jack thing etc. They make their products work together so you have to get their products instead of competitors. Also, their tech support may have a good brand/image but it isn't great. I have a Mac laptop (and my experiences with it are part of the reason why I won't buy Apple again) and it got some damage. The Apple store said it was unrepairable and would just be worth buying a new one. Found an independent repair guy and it was just a couple hundred dollars. There is a guy on YouTube who makes a whole bunch of videos repairing laptops and many of his customers couldn't get or afford repairs from Apple. Also, in some of their machines everything is attached to the motherboard so if one component fails you have to buy a whole new mother board with everything from Apple.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

Pod coffee is terrible. I would literally rather have instant coffee. I use a french press and it takes me no time. If you want good coffee you need to make good coffee. I also have one of those boiling water taps on my sink though so I never have to boil water for anything.

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008

Glad you posted this I have read nothing but negative comments on that movie I assume all the comments are because Seth doesn't have a gauntlet with some shiny stones on it.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville

That said, PC for life.
I use both. I have an Apple laptop, and a PC desktop. I find Apple stuff more secure against malware and stuff, so when travelling and hooking up to random wifi I have peace of mind. I actually like using Windows, but I have to fiddle with configurations a lot before it becomes usable (too many hoops to jump through just to run a program! of course related to aforementioned security issues).

Ironically enough, I find Apple hardware best for running Windows. Waking up from hibernate, handling peripherals, etc all work great out of the box because the drivers have been well-tested. In fact I am going to replace my NUC with a Mac Mini now that they've finally updated it.

And sure, Apple hardware is more expensive, but then again it's hard to find a PC equivalent to the super-slim MacBook. It's the RAM price they charge that is truly outrageous.

Another gripe I have with Apple is that their cloud apps (Calendar, contacts, to-dos on the browser) are subpar. They really need to provide a better online portal.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Once you get into apples eco system it’s hard to get out because of the ease of use. I think they’re really good at that. Like I have an iPhone 6, Apple TV, and a MacBook Pro from 2011 and the seamless integration is very nice.

They are definitely overpriced though. I don’t know how newer laptops compare since like I said mine is from 2011, oddly enough the reason I chose the MacBook over a PC laptop is because no PC laptop felt as nice to me using the mousepad and keyboard and spacing. The MacBook just felt perfect.

I might pickup a Desktop PC prettysoon though just to play older games and also set up my office if I want to work from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad