OT: Sens Lounge XCX +1: NO POLITICS DAMNIT! edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How do I redeem my "free politics" lounge coupon?

Sorry friend, all those coupons expired long ago...

redeemed-twice.png

Reactions: Clayonator

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
While it's nice that you guys were respectful and all, the rules of the forum are clear on the matter, and it's not debatable, nor can there be exceptions. This was a decision made above my pay grade (i.e. the slave labour pay scale) and I have no say in the matter.

Now get back to talking about blues fest lineups and posting funny pictures of cats. We need some damn levity in these trying times.

I'll get the ball rolling:
What happened to playing Blues acts at blues fest...

hqdefault.jpg

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Was likely crazy and was basicslly just plagiarizing Adam Smith.

Ehh... not crazy like "mental health" crazy. More a product of his environment.

Also: he did plagiarize, but not really from Adam Smith, a lot of Marx's work was an open reaction to Smith... but he did definitely steal quite a bit from a small group of German extremists of his time, as well as handily from a lot of French Revolutionary writers - there's some direct word-for-word theft from some French pamphlets that he got a hold of.

He was also famously anti-semetic. Like, really, really racist. So there's that.

Also: these are HISTORY facts, not POLITICS facts. So they're ok.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison

Also: he did plagiarize, but not really from Adam Smith, a lot of Marx's work was an open reaction to Smith... but he did definitely steal quite a bit from a small group of German extremists of his time, as well as handily from a lot of French Revolutionary writers - there's some direct word-for-word theft from some French pamphlets that he got a hold of.

He was also famously anti-semetic. Like, really, really racist. So there's that.

This is why I read the forums. (Also, to bitch and complain)

I can’t believe I made one post and it spiraled out of control like that.

How about this then;

Who amongst us had had a “close encounter?” I am being serious here.

(Also, fantastic, though prefer Dreyfus in 2010 - soft spot for HAL. Just realized Dreyfus isn’t in 2010. How have I mistaken him for Bob Balaban for a decade?)

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Ya know....it would be a whole lot easier to keep most of HF free of politics if you could divert all the political talk into it's own section. Hint, hint, wink, wink to the big poobah in charge of this site. Those old boards were a great read for political nymphs like myself. Still hurts to lose them. Shoulda torched the lounge section instead.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Ya know....it would be a whole lot easier to keep most of HF free of politics if you could divert all the political talk into it's own section. Hint, hint, wink, wink to the big poobah in charge of this site. Those old boards were a great read for political nymphs like myself. Still hurts to lose them. Shoulda torched the lounge section instead.
Sorry to say but it's time to move on, it's not coming back. Let the healing begin...

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012

Yea thats fair. Just repeating what one of my history profs was talking about recently. Talked about how Marx basically took Smith’s economic model and renamed the stages.(very high level anyways, didn’t have time for the specifics)

Also learned in the class that a closer reading of Adam Smith shows he was actually fairly anti-capitalist

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
My life gets significantly less busy as of Friday.

I might tune in then.

I am the opposite as I have been on vacation days, but go back on Thursday. And alas as a retail worker I work weekends and miss a lot :( But at least the store isn't open too late and I should be able to watch the final.

I'm starting to enjoy having two pools though as it seems to keep the standings page more interesting for longer as more teams are trying to move on for the first cut.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
While it's nice that you guys were respectful and all, the rules of the forum are clear on the matter, and it's not debatable, nor can there be exceptions. This was a decision made above my pay grade (i.e. the slave labour pay scale) and I have no say in the matter.

Now get back to talking about blues fest lineups and posting funny pictures of cats. We need some damn levity in these trying times.

I'll get the ball rolling:
What happened to playing Blues acts at blues fest...

hqdefault.jpg

It is because of SNC-Lavalin. Don't infract me! :laugh:

I like MattAndersen, and am looking forward to seeing him. They should honestly call it something else at this point. Dustbowl 2019. Wherethestreetshavennoname2019.

But, what are the blues? We have Buddy Guy, John Lee Hooker, BB King, Mose Allison etc...but the 60s R&B was inspired by the blues. That becamse what we now call the British Invasion for the brits. Motown evolved from the blues, which then was the backbone of 80s R&B and hip-hop, which inspired rap.

I guess country acts do not qualify? But , I think they do as the blues and the Hank Williams types seem to have the same type of heartache and message. So maybe all music is inspired by the blues?

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I know there are some watch guys on these boards. Anyone own a Panerai? I’m in love with the Luminor Marina and am thinking about pulling the trigger next Christmas.

I’d previously been drooling over an IWC but the Panerai is a better pricepoint and more versatile (e.g., waterproofing) to boot.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I know there are some watch guys on these boards. Anyone own a Panerai? I’m in love with the Luminor Marina and am thinking about pulling the trigger next Christmas.

I’d previously been drooling over an IWC but the Panerai is a better pricepoint and more versatile (e.g., waterproofing) to boot.

You lawyers and your watches...

Reactions: 18Hossa
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad