OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Anyone living in the country has ever experienced having a fisher in your area? Heard one last night killing one of its victims. Strangely, I couldn’t identify the sound of the dying animal. Mind you, they successfully kill porcupines and, although there are some around, I don’t really know what sound they make.

Fishers, on the other hand, have a very distinctive sound... and a creepy one at that.

The best way to calm a Fisher is to give it an Underwood.

I'm tired and bored, ok!

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Canada is so damn overrated.

I don't buy all the feel good in the above post at all but I also appreciate the thought. Generally speaking, I like Americans a lot more because they tend to be much more upfront, something I find Anglo-Saxon cultures tend to shy away from. A lot of the time, Canadian kindness is just cowardice. Not always, but often.

That's it! We're dropping the gloves!

My Canadian kindness is more rooted in my opinion that it's easier to be kind than it is to be a dick. I have no interest in looking to start some trouble or get in an argument.

I'll just be nice. It's easier.

But if you slash my goalie, I'm punching you in the face.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

I don't buy all the feel good in the above post at all but I also appreciate the thought. Generally speaking, I like Americans a lot more because they tend to be much more upfront, something I find Anglo-Saxon cultures tend to shy away from. A lot of the time, Canadian kindness is just cowardice. Not always, but often.

Cowardice? Yeah no. I won't lie that you identifying yourself and our nation as a cowards offends me.

We're not passive aggressive, we're calculating and have to pick our battles. We're a country of 35 million working on the same stage as countries with 10 times + our population. It takes finesse to have a voice worth listening to on that stage. Also, for those who rarely leave the country, we actually do have a fantastic reputation out in the world, especially in places like northern France and the Netherlands. It truly is heart warming. Our military is also very highly respected amongst our allies, and our reputation is excellent internationally.

Anyways, folks are welcome to think what they will, and I seem to have a minority view here, sadly.

People often use being 'up front' as an excuse to be boorish and rude. We need less of that, not more. When people are considerate towards the people they are talking to things go a lot further. Canada is generally quite clear about where they stand on issues, and most people I deal with are polite but their intentions are clear. Maybe what you're talking about is a new Ottawa thing.

Also, I find most Americans along the border to be pretty much the same as those of us on the other side of the line. Washington State seems to be pretty closely aligned with BC, and most tourists I run into are kind, polite.

Sorry, for anyone pained while reading this mini rant. I grew up in the military, served in the infantry, and I am what I am. I wasn't going to let this post and other subsequent ones slide without comment.

Go Canada, Go Sens!

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I'm not sure if there is a separate thread for this, but I'm new to Ottawa and I'm looking for suggestions of which pick up leagues would be the best to join? I've got a group of like 12ish guys with talent ranging from house league to AAA (but we are in our mid 20's now and much worse than when we were 18). We're mostly centrally located so not to picky with the area

Carleton U has a good men's league.

There are also good ones run out of the Sens Plex locations

Reactions: Swedish Mafia

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

I know this is supposed to be a civil and nonpartisan forum, but my god what an awful take this is. Canada has it's warts, but the door is right there if you want to leave.

There are people living in other countries that would literally die to be here.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Cowardice? Yeah no. I won't lie that you identifying yourself and our nation as a cowards offends me.

We're not passive aggressive, we're calculating and have to pick our battles. We're a country of 35 million working on the same stage as countries with 10 times + our population. It takes finesse to have a voice worth listening to on that stage. Also, for those who rarely leave the country, we actually do have a fantastic reputation out in the world, especially in places like northern France and the Netherlands. It truly is heart warming. Our military is also very highly respected amongst our allies, and our reputation is excellent internationally.

Anyways, folks are welcome to think what they will, and I seem to have a minority view here, sadly.

People often use being 'up front' as an excuse to be boorish and rude. We need less of that, not more. When people are considerate towards the people they are talking to things go a lot further. Canada is generally quite clear about where they stand on issues, and most people I deal with are polite but their intentions are clear. Maybe what you're talking about is a new Ottawa thing.

Also, I find most Americans along the border to be pretty much the same as those of us on the other side of the line. Washington State seems to be pretty closely aligned with BC, and most tourists I run into are kind, polite.

Sorry, for anyone pained while reading this mini rant. I grew up in the military, served in the infantry, and I am what I am. I wasn't going to let this post and other subsequent ones slide without comment.

Go Canada, Go Sens!

My opinion on Canadian "niceness" offends you?

You need thicker skin.

Please don't bring the military in this, it has no bearing on the conversation whatsoever. Don't be an American :laugh:

I know this is supposed to be a civil and nonpartisan forum, but my god what an awful take this is. Canada has it's warts, but the door is right there if you want to leave.

There are people living in other countries that would literally die to be here.

It's my impression and I've travelled a lot. I have no emotional tie to Canada so I like to think I'm impartial. I didn't say Canada was garbage, just overrated. If I had European citizenship I'd be living in Europe almost assuredly (god damn Belgium citizenship laws!) but not because Canada "sucks".

I'm not a fan of encroaching nationalism and I feel it's gotten more pervasive over the years. I like people, not countries.

Last edited:

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

You need thicker skin.

Please don't bring the military in this, it has no bearing on the conversation whatsoever. Don't be an American :laugh:

It's my impression and I've travelled a lot. I have no emotional tie to Canada so I like to think I'm impartial. I didn't say Canada was garbage, just overrated. If I had European citizenship I'd be living in Europe almost assuredly (god damn Belgium citizenship laws!) but not because Canada "sucks".

I'm not a fan of encroaching nationalism and I feel it's gotten more pervasive over the years. I like people, not countries.

What you don't realize is that you're being a hypocrite. You're painting everyone with the same brush and whitewashing their identity as a Canadian by calling them a coward. You have some #staywoke attitude in regards to people and loving them as individuals, but then just because you have no sense of pride to be here you say everyone else is a sackless POS. It's just garbage. Being happy to be in an objectively great country = encroaching nationalism? Lmao give me a break. Maybe you should get that D visa from Belgium, doesn't look to difficult.

So annoying when people travel for a few years then come back and act all worldly.

I would love to hear @BonkTastic opinion on this since he has lived and worked for extended periods of time elsewhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

You need thicker skin.

Lol, being proud of your country isn’t “encroaching nationalism” but it’s ironic that you mention Europe given that this is where most people’s thought go when mentioning rising nationalism. It’s also interesting that you mention Belgium as your preferred destination considering your views on nationalism.

As or me, you called us cowards dude, don’t try and miss represent yourself by referring to our “niceness” you called us cowards. My skin’s plenty thick, but that doesn’t mean I’m gonna stay silent while some dude with no emotional ties to my country calls us cowardly. And many of us have travelled a lot dude, it doesn’t add strength to your position.

Preferring to live in Europe doesn’t make you impartial at all, though it’s interesting that you mention Belgium given that my experience there was that they held us in very high regard especially given our historical defence of their nation (Northern FRance and The Netherlands as well).

This kind of ‘like people, not countries’ stuff makes me laugh. It’s the kind of stuff you here from folks who grow up during the safest time in human history, in a country created off the sacrifices of others, who have no real concept of suffering, and no understanding of what a nation like Canada means to people who have. It’s shows a lack of respect for what we’ve achieved here, and illustrates how under the shelter and freedom of western culture you have the ‘courage’ to profess going it alone. It’s humourous, and sad at the same time.

Don’t let the door hit you on the way out...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So let me get this straight

My saying that I prefer direct over kind means I hate Canada and everything it represents. Because I have the impression that a lot of the time Canadians use kindness as a passive aggressive tool in order to avoid saying what they really think, I hate Canada.

I think you two need to step away from the ledge and maybe consider how your own states of mind if you are going down that road when someone tells you what he thinks about the "Canadian brand".

Also, the military has nothing to do with any of this, stop plugging it in, it makes you look desperate, out of touch and vain. I have nothing against the military but I do have something against you now. I guess that means I hate the military :laugh:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

My saying that I prefer direct over kind means I hate Canada and everything it represents. Because I have the impression that a lot of the time Canadians use kindness as a passive aggressive tool in order to avoid saying what they really think, I hate Canada.

I think you two need to step away from the ledge and maybe consider how your own states of mind if you are going down that road when someone tells you what he thinks about the "Canadian brand".

Also, the military has nothing to do with any of this, stop plugging it in, it makes you look desperate, out of touch and vain. I have nothing against the military but I do have something against you now. I guess that means I hate the military :laugh:

Nice try, and not exactly ‘up front’.

You called us cowards, which of course drew the ire of people, but we’ve all noticed that you’ve backed off that claim and not even used the word again.

You’re deflecting while you retreat, not a decidedly Canadian trait, more a European attitude I’d say... ;)

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008

No man it's not about that and I am not on the ledge. You just post these ill prepared edgy thoughts all the time, and just because someone doesn't subscribe to your metaphysical way of thinking, doesn't mean someone isn't going to call you out on some nonsensical BS. To be honest it sounds like something I would cook up if I was super baked all the time, and if someone said that to me in person I'd call them out as well for being such a world-without-borders moonstar as well.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Nice try, and not exactly ‘up front’.

You called us cowards, which of course drew the ire of people, but we’ve all noticed that you’ve backed off that claim and not even used the word again.

You’re deflecting while you retreat, not a decidedly Canadian trait, more a European attitude I’d say... ;)

I used passive aggressive as a substitute for the word "cowardice" (not coward, you might want to learn the difference) since it seemed to have triggered you.

Yeah we all know you were in the military and how great you are because of it. I'm immune to virtue signalling unfortunately for you.

No man it's not about that and I am not on the ledge. You just post these ill prepared edgy thoughts all the time, and just because someone doesn't subscribe to your metaphysical way of thinking, doesn't mean someone isn't going to call you out on some nonsensical BS. To be honest it sounds like something I would cook up if I was super baked all the time, and if someone said that to me in person I'd call them out as well for being such a world-without-borders moonstar as well.

I just don't buy the whole "Canadian are so nice, we are the best" narrative and responded to someone who espoused it.

Hell someone even quoted me and singled out Ottawa as a particularly egregious case of "passive aggressive" but that didn't seem to ruffle any feathers. Why is that?

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
I used passive aggressive as a substitute for the word "cowardice" (not coward, you might want to learn the difference) since it seemed to have triggered you.

Yeah we all know you were in the military and how great that makes us. I'm immune to virtue signalling unfortunately for you.
Surely you can't have expected a different opinion when you come into a forum comprised mostly of Canadians and insult Canada. It's not about blind nationalism, it's about a bad opinion delivered poorly to a very non-receptive audience.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Surely you can't have expected a different opinion when you come into a forum comprised mostly of Canadians and insult Canada. It's not about blind nationalism, it's about a bad opinion delivered poorly to a very non-receptive audience.

I said what I wanted I say, people are responded and I am now responding to them. It's a perfectly normal discussion.

This is all fairly normal really. I even prefaced that while those were my thoughts, I appreciate the place where the whole "We are SO nice! Yeah we are! YES WE ARE" narrative comes from.

Alas, I am now a self-loathing Canadian it seems :laugh:

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Yeah we all know you were in the military and how great you are because of it. I'm immune to virtue signalling unfortunately for you.

I just don't buy the whole "Canadian are so nice, we are the best" narrative and responded to someone who espoused it.

Hell someone even quoted me and singled out Ottawa as a particularly egregious case of "passive aggressive" but that didn't seem to ruffle any feathers. Why is that?

It would be good to remember that I never mentioned being great, no one mentioned that we were “so nice” or “the best”. These are your current straw men that you’re hiding behind.

You’re getting defensive and equivcating on your use of the term coward. You used the word in your post, not a substitute, and you also used ‘passive aggressive’. By the way, “Triggered” is lame kid-speak for trying to make me responding as some sort of weakness, you’re getting thoughtful responses bud, and well earned.

I can read and understand just fine, and am comfortable responding to your assessment of being Canadian. It does come as a surprise though that you can’t seem to grasp why folks would be offended by your post. It’s not a reasonable post, it’s an ignorant and judgemental post, especially given the audience.

You seem to feel like you’re beingup front and direct, ‘like Americans’. Well, here’s what you get when you behave like this; you find yourself alone in a virtual room of people you have offended. Feels good though hey?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Ironic how the guy with negative opinions and no emotional ties Canada is the same guy dodging and deflecting responses to his comments, while Canadian posters are addressing him in a direct and up front manner.

Good times in the OT thread.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Ironic how the guy with negative opinions and no emotional ties Canada is the same guy dodging and deflecting responses to his comments, while Canadian posters are addressing him in a direct and up front manner.

Good times in the OT thread.

...or maybe he’s simply ignoring you.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
That's it! We're dropping the gloves!

My Canadian kindness is more rooted in my opinion that it's easier to be kind than it is to be a dick. I have no interest in looking to start some trouble or get in an argument.

I'll just be nice. It's easier.

But if you slash my goalie, I'm punching you in the face.

My final thoughts on this topic

It's easier for sure and generally makes for smoother sailing. But I function better if I'm told how it is instead of tip-toeing around/hoping innuendos get the point across which is often what being nice leads to.

Nothing wrong with nice, but when your defining feature is "niceness" I think it says a lot of "not so kind things" about you :laugh:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
My final thoughts on this topic

It's easier for sure and generally makes for smoother sailing. But I function better if I'm told how it is instead of tip-toeing around/hoping innuendos get the point across which is often what being nice leads to.

Nothing wrong with nice, but when your defining feature is "niceness" I think it says a lot of "not so kind things" about you :laugh:
It's very easy to tell it like it is while also being nice. Being nice doesn't mean being a pushover or being less than direct, inherently. There's some truth to the fact that they've become one in the same, but that's much more due to poor attempts at diplomacy than anything. I can be nice while standing my ground and that, to me, is much more a defining trait of Canadianness than simply being nice for the sake of soothing waters.

Reactions: Ice-Tray
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad