OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Not using pennies: fantastic
Loonies and Toonies: Overrated. still can't get behind $1 and $2 coins. The fanny pack industry must love it though.

The USA is so huge its hard to compare types of people to one another IMO. Like, I'd much rather talk to Canadians than most people from Boston. :laugh:

It usually comes down to people who live a rural/urban/mid-city lifestyle. I mostly prefer mid-range city type personalities. I've been to Toronto a ton, to say that its filled with stereotypical Canadian politeness would be incorrect IMO.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Loonies and Toonies: Overrated. still can't get behind $1 and $2 coins. The fanny pack industry must love it though.

The USA is so huge its hard to compare types of people to one another IMO. Like, I'd much rather talk to Canadians than most people from Boston. :laugh:

It usually comes down to people who live a rural/urban/mid-city lifestyle. I mostly prefer mid-range city type personalities. I've been to Toronto a ton, to say that its filled with stereotypical Canadian politeness would be incorrect IMO.
You mean Bawston :)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I am curious... Are there a lot of countries who, like the US, prioritize bills over coins for smaller amounts?

I can think of any other (excluding countries where you need a thousand of whatever currency to buy the smallest of things of course)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
You’re so easy... and predictable... budsky.
Lol.... We were quoting each other’s posts. If you want to chip in with a diss here and there, you’ll have to try a little harder budski.

Which one is Budski and which one is Budsky?

Could be the next great comedy team Budski and Budsky

sorry for jumping in to this serious discussion.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Which one is Budski and which one is Budsky?

Could be the next great comedy team Budski and Budsky

sorry for jumping in to this serious discussion.
Sarcasm aside if you will... it’s budsky and hutch. I’m neither - feel free to fill in for either.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
My opinion on Canadian "niceness" offends you?

You need thicker skin.

Please don't bring the military in this, it has no bearing on the conversation whatsoever. Don't be an American :laugh:

It's my impression and I've travelled a lot. I have no emotional tie to Canada so I like to think I'm impartial. I didn't say Canada was garbage, just overrated. If I had European citizenship I'd be living in Europe almost assuredly (god damn Belgium citizenship laws!) but not because Canada "sucks".

I'm not a fan of encroaching nationalism and I feel it's gotten more pervasive over the years. I like people, not countries.

That part I can definitely agree with.

Nationalism is a virus. It turns people into monsters. And it is way too easy to manipulate people who have succumbed to that particular virus.

One thing I will say, though, it takes a lot of skill to be perceived as nice, while still speaking your mind (or handing someone a back-handed insult). Listen closely, and you will see Canadians are quite good at throwing a 'thinking mans' insult into a nice statement.

Reactions: DrEasy

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

Nationalism is a virus. It turns people into monsters. And it is way too easy to manipulate people who have succumbed to that particular virus.

One thing I will say, though, it takes a lot of skill to be perceived as nice, while still speaking your mind (or handing someone a back-handed insult). Listen closely, and you will see Canadians are quite good at throwing a 'thinking mans' insult into a nice statement.

It takes a lot of skill to handle someone a backhanded insult? You realize that, by saying this here, certain posters will seriously take that as a true compliment.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Being able to insult someone and have them think it's a compliment is an artform. I find a lot of canucks are quite good at it (unfortunately, I'm not one of them).

I do know what you mean though. When I worked at a certain organization, the VP of Corporate Communications was a master at that. Of course, those of us who knew him would always understand the underlying meaning. He could be very funny and seldom did people get upset because they appreciated his intelligence and humour.

In my view, there’s also another side to it however. Certain individual will do it in the passive/agressive way. The way I understand both, one is clever... the other is mean and questionable.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
I am curious... Are there a lot of countries who, like the US, prioritize bills over coins for smaller amounts?

I can think of any other (excluding countries where you need a thousand of whatever currency to buy the smallest of things of course)

I don't t know. Maybe you should tell us since you're such a well travelled person.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
My final thoughts on this topic

It's easier for sure and generally makes for smoother sailing. But I function better if I'm told how it is instead of tip-toeing around/hoping innuendos get the point across which is often what being nice leads to.

Nothing wrong with nice, but when your defining feature is "niceness" I think it says a lot of "not so kind things" about you :laugh:

First, like hell you're getting the final thoughts.
Second, Canadians are known for being polite but with a strong willingness to fight back when the time comes.

Also, I love that you claim Europe has less of a sense of nationalism. Wtf? Have you ever been there? Have you ever watched a World Cup?

Are you trying to tell me that the French, Germans, Poles, Italians, Brits, Scots, Irish, Spanish and Portuguese aren't all intensely nationalistic and prideful of their nation.

I think your world travel experience is from playing Where in the World is Carmen San Diego.

So, in the most polite and Canadian way possible, let me close by saying, f*** Off, eh.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Without piling on to the rest of your nonsensical statements, what the heck does this even mean?
Seems to be trying to apply the concept of the "nice guy" in dating to a country as a whole.

The terms "Nice Guy" and "nice guy syndrome" can be used to describe a man who views himself as a prototypical "nice guy," but whose "nice deeds" are deemed to be solely motivated by a desire to court women. From said courting, the 'nice guy' may hope to form a romantic relationship or may be motivated by a simple desire to increase his sexual activity. The results of failure are often resentment toward women and/or society.

...which, needless to say, is more of a stretch than a bungee cord.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I can see what Do Make Say Think is saying. It's kinda like seeing someone with a nasty stain on their shirt. You don't want to be rude, so you don't say anything....only to have the person walk out of the bathroom an hour later and get mad because everyone let him walk around looking like a slob for half the shift.

It's really all about perspective. Some folks want direct answers (or at least say they do), while others are hesitant to make waves or say anything that might start an argument. The blunt person believes from his own view that folks are hiding something from him, while the 'nice' folks think the blunt guy is a jerk for being blunt.

What does Obi Wan say in the original Star Wars, what I said was true, from a certain point of view.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

I agree. When Team Canada goes on the ice, or in the pool, or on the track, the pitch, I turn into a monster.

Vancouver 2010 was an intensely nationalistic experience. Canada hasn't been the same way since. It isn't perfect, but I would rather being more nationalistic than less, warts and all.

Day to day life being nationalistic I think has more pluses than minuses. Canadians lack of nationalism in the past gave the world a very different perception of what it meant to be Canadian. All this "Canadians are polite" BS, "Canadians are peacemakers" BS, was well used if untrue. Vancouver 2010 changed a lot of that. Polite my ass, we cheered, we boasted, we displayed our national pride, always under cloaks in the past for fear of offending someone or another country.

Canada of today is not the Canada of the past. But one thing Canada had always been was correct. Being on the right side . You pick on our friends and we have your back. My friends are going to war? Sign me up. We all stick up for each other, being part of the good guys. You need a million soldiers in WWII? Hmm, give me a little time but we will be there. There are only 12 million of us.

Nowadays, Canada has lost its way and, to me, at time is unrecognizable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad