OT: Sens Lounge XCVIII: 1000-Post Rule is Back Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I agree. When Team Canada goes on the ice, or in the pool, or on the track, the pitch, I turn into a monster.

Vancouver 2010 was an intensely nationalistic experience. Canada hasn't been the same way since. It isn't perfect, but I would rather being more nationalistic than less, warts and all.

Day to day life being nationalistic I think has more pluses than minuses. Canadians lack of nationalism in the past gave the world a very different perception of what it meant to be Canadian. All this "Canadians are polite" BS, "Canadians are peacemakers" BS, was well used if untrue. Vancouver 2010 changed a lot of that. Polite my ass, we cheered, we boasted, we displayed our national pride, always under cloaks in the past for fear of offending someone or another country.

Canada of today is not the Canada of the past. But one thing Canada had always been was correct. Being on the right side . You pick on our friends and we have your back. My friends are going to war? Sign me up. We all stick up for each other, being part of the good guys. You need a million soldiers in WWII? Hmm, give me a little time but we will be there. There are only 12 million of us.

Nowadays, Canada has lost its way and, to me, at time is unrecognizable.

Can you explain the bolded? There's obviously pluses to nationalism, but there's always the dark cloud of "nationalism to an extreme" hanging overhead, imo.

I don't think you're wrong either, the Vancouver Olympics were a fantastic experience and a great time to be Canadian. I just worry that it's quite easy to reach a point of "too much of a good thing" and nationalism leading to negatives (not unlike what we're seeing in the states currently).

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Can you explain the bolded? There's obviously pluses to nationalism, but there's always the dark cloud of "nationalism to an extreme" hanging overhead, imo.

I don't think you're wrong either, the Vancouver Olympics were a fantastic experience and a great time to be Canadian. I just worry that it's quite easy to reach a point of "too much of a good thing" and nationalism leading to negatives (not unlike what we're seeing in the states currently).

I think any type of extremism is bad. Nationalists who go to the extreme is scary. But , seeing Canadian flags on someone's porch, in their backyard, etc...is a great thing. The world we live in today is more black/white than I can recall. People are either moderate or extremists. I don't think that is the word I want, moderate, but thesaurus.com says that is the opposite of extremists! I still find myself in the middle of things.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Nationalism is not a good thing. The word you're looking for is patriotism. Patriotism is generally a good thing. Nationalism is dangerous and generally associated with authoritarian figures and violence. Patriotism is pride and respect for one's land and its laws.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
I think any type of extremism is bad. Nationalists who go to the extreme is scary. But , seeing Canadian flags on someone's porch, in their backyard, etc...is a great thing. The world we live in today is more black/white than I can recall. People are either moderate or extremists. I don't think that is the word I want, moderate, but thesaurus.com says that is the opposite of extremists! I still find myself in the middle of things.

Perhaps you were looking for apathetic? But even those people tend to be extreme in their apathy. So really there's just been a loss of moderation (which honestly is probably partly due to social media creating echo chambers of your own personal worldview) with people just tending to whatever extreme they fit into.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Perhaps you were looking for apathetic? But even those people tend to be extreme in their apathy. So really there's just been a loss of moderation (which honestly is probably partly due to social media creating echo chambers of your own personal worldview) with people just tending to whatever extreme they fit into.

Funnily enough that was the first word I typed, and what I felt. You would think that would be the opposite of extremism...apathy.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I agree. When Team Canada goes on the ice, or in the pool, or on the track, the pitch, I turn into a monster.

Vancouver 2010 was an intensely nationalistic experience. Canada hasn't been the same way since. It isn't perfect, but I would rather being more nationalistic than less, warts and all.

Day to day life being nationalistic I think has more pluses than minuses. Canadians lack of nationalism in the past gave the world a very different perception of what it meant to be Canadian. All this "Canadians are polite" BS, "Canadians are peacemakers" BS, was well used if untrue. Vancouver 2010 changed a lot of that. Polite my ass, we cheered, we boasted, we displayed our national pride, always under cloaks in the past for fear of offending someone or another country.

Canada of today is not the Canada of the past. But one thing Canada had always been was correct. Being on the right side . You pick on our friends and we have your back. My friends are going to war? Sign me up. We all stick up for each other, being part of the good guys. You need a million soldiers in WWII? Hmm, give me a little time but we will be there. There are only 12 million of us.

Nowadays, Canada has lost its way and, to me, at time is unrecognizable.

The part in bold is what worries me about nationalism. The thing is, we are living in a point in time where things evolve quickly. Societies change and grow. Most of the time it's good, with a few bumps along the way. Now, I get that some folks will be a little unnerved at the speed of change...all of us do get that way as we get older and 'slow down'. Hell, I see it in myself quite a bit these days, that society moves so fast! Harder and harder to keep up....but it isn't going to slow down for us old farts. We're not in control anymore (hell, as an Xer, we were never in control)...and that is a scary thing.

Being 'unable to recognize Canada' is not about the country. We have not lost our way. We are finding our way as part of a global community.

The only thing I can say, is sit back, try to hold on as bast you can, and let the kids lead the way. If you truly believe you did right by your kids (and from all accounts you sound like a great dad), have trust in the next generation and their ability to lead Canada into the future.

Reactions: FolignoQuantumLeap

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Funnily enough that was the first word I typed, and what I felt. You would think that would be the opposite of extremism...apathy.

Actually the opposite of apathy in this context would likely be fanaticism. But that's still a form of extremism too.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The part in bold is what worries me about nationalism. The thing is, we are living in a point in time where things evolve quickly. Societies change and grow. Most of the time it's good, with a few bumps along the way. Now, I get that some folks will be a little unnerved at the speed of change...all of us do get that way as we get older and 'slow down'. Hell, I see it in myself quite a bit these days, that society moves so fast! Harder and harder to keep up....but it isn't going to slow down for us old farts. We're not in control anymore (hell, as an Xer, we were never in control)...and that is a scary thing.

Being 'unable to recognize Canada' is not about the country. We have not lost our way. We are finding our way as part of a global community.

The only thing I can say, is sit back, try to hold on as bast you can, and let the kids lead the way. If you truly believe you did right by your kids (and from all accounts you sound like a great dad), have trust in the next generation and their ability to lead Canada into the future.

Thanks Nac. I see where you are coming from. I'm not ready to relinquish the wheel just yet, but, maybe I am starting to sound like my parents!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
R.I.P. Aretha

Goosebumps today everytime I hear her voice. Every December I have a holiday playlist with Aretha all over it. My kids really reacted to her and we listened to her in the car today.

Pancreatic cancer is such a horrible disease and I can imagine what she has been through this last week as my father succumbed this past October. The fact she survived this long is a miracle in itself

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Thanks Nac. I see where you are coming from. I'm not ready to relinquish the wheel just yet, but, maybe I am starting to sound like my parents!

It definitely creeps up on you. I've noticed myself mutter damned kids under my breath a few times at coworkers the past few months. Don't take long to settle in once it get's a hold in your brain, that's for sure!

Reactions: DrEasy and coladin

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
It definitely creeps up on you. I've noticed myself mutter damned kids under my breath a few times at coworkers the past few months. Don't take long to settle in once it get's a hold in your brain, that's for sure!

Yep. My 17yr old knows everything, and I know nothing (and I and not Jon Snow!)

I think Google has a huge impact on the world. People are so well informed nowadays that they basically become Google disciples and I find teens have this self assurance that we could have only dreamed of at their age. We kinda new our place 30 yrs ago. This generation have much more self confidence in that regard. Google tells them everything they need. Which makes them annoying.

But Google also creates issues in our young friends. For instance, my 15yr old daughter thanks to Google has had (take a deep breath)

1. Breast cancer
2. Lung cancer
3. Asthma
4. E.coli
5. Ebola (That one was hilarious)
6. Fractured finger
7. Fractured tibia, fibula, femur, collarbone, toe, wrist, skull
8. Blindness
9. Parkinson's
10. Colitis
11. Crohn's
12. Lice...daily

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
So I have officially started saving for this tour and hope to go in November of 2020, following a Europe trip/working holiday that starts next spring. It is a 10 month tour that visits 35 countries.

newAfrica-Overland-Adventure-Tour-Map2018-new-1024x596.png

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Wow, that is a part of the world that I have never visited. Intimidating but exciting. You are going to se things that will change your perspective on life they say.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
So I have officially started saving for this tour and hope to go in November of 2020, following a Europe trip/working holiday that starts next spring. It is a 10 month tour that visits 35 countries.

newAfrica-Overland-Adventure-Tour-Map2018-new-1024x596.png

This is awesome man. Have a blast.

I really want to do Kilamanjaro as my next big splurge trip.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I hope to do Kilimanjaro at some point too. There isn't time on this trip, but one of the optional excursions is a three day trek up Mount Cameroon.

I was curious when you mentioned that most of the trip will be camping. I feel it’s pretty safe to say that will be in a tent ;) I went camping for years and it was always in a tent (to me, that’s the true meaning of camping!).

At the same time, do you feel comfortable camping in a tent in that part of the world where very dangerous insects are crawling around? I’m certain you’re taking all appropriate precautions. But it’s the first thing that popped in my head.

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I was curious when you mentioned that most of the trip will be camping. I feel it’s pretty safe to say that will be in a tent ;) I went camping for years and it was always in a tent (to me, that’s the true meaning of camping!).

At the same time, do you feel comfortable camping in a tent in that part of the world where very dangerous insects are crawling around? I’m certain you’re taking all appropriate precautions. But it’s the first thing that popped in my head.

I'm no fan of insects, but I am sure that with an appropriate tent there isn't much danger. This company has done the tour in the past of course so I am sure they know how to prepare, and would be able to answer any questions you have before the trip.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad