OT: Sens Lounge - Golf season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
a classic case of a genie being let out of the bottle with no means of putting it back.

In the early 2000's, Italian racers figured out how to add a small motor to their bikes.. As carbon fibre came in, the seat tube became larger. It allowed a small motor in there. A worm gear connected it to the bottom bracket.

That provided companies with the idea of making their "mopeds", around since the motorcycle first came to be, sleeker and better looking. And allowed users to fool themselves into believing they are "cyclists". Cool looking, not some nerdy moped.

And so, since the development and introduction was via the cycling world, it did not go through the transportation path and so, the ministry of transportation did not look at it.

10 years ago, you would have had a battle royal with industry people over it being a bike or a scooter/moped... They fought hard to keep it a "bicycle". Boith for regulation purposes, but also for vanity.. 60 year old Mr and Mrs. Smith, wanted to feel HIP by cycling on their e-bike and not riding a scooter.

they did not want it regulated, licensed, etc.. at 5 K and more, they did not want to add $100 a year in licenses and trips to the ministry bureaus. They wanted you to drop your 5 plus K and worry free. Buzz all around on your 100 Lb vehicle and your 200 Lb rider ass at 30-60 KMH, unregulated. And they wanted Mr. and Mrs Smith to ride them on sidewalks and bike paths and not force them onto streets.

Sales.. Mr. And Mrs. Smith would stop buying them if they risked getting killed on streets or if they needed liciencing.

It won't be long before idiots surface and deaths occur. Or serious injuries.. Then lawsuits and government regulations.

Here in the EU at least, e-bikes are set up so that the motor won't help you go over a certain speed, can't recall the exact number, like 25 km/h or something I think. So you can go faster than that if you're doing it on your own, but the motor won't propel you beyond a certain speed. Of course it's just a chip limiting that and people do mod it, but technically that's illegal.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Here in the EU at least, e-bikes are set up so that the motor won't help you go over a certain speed, can't recall the exact number, like 25 km/h or something I think. So you can go faster than that if you're doing it on your own, but the motor won't propel you beyond a certain speed. Of course it's just a chip limiting that and people do mod it, but technically that's illegal.
undoubtedly here as well. Although I believe here 25 Mile per hour may be the limit.. or about 35 KPH.

Here is the basic issue.

Classified as a bike, it means you can go anywhere and not obey street laws. So you can go on sidewalks and dedicated bike paths. You can travel on sidewalks in any direction.

And so in congested locations, traveling at 35 KMH, on a 100 lb bike and you are 200 lb.. you are begging for trouble.

a net 140kg rider/bike at 25 KMH, packs a punch equivalent to a 3 - 6G force or a person falling 2 M. Essentially falling off a shed. Don't try it.

at 35 KMH, the Collison is probably around a 3 M fall.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Classified as a bike, it means you can go anywhere and not obey street laws. So you can go on sidewalks and dedicated bike paths. You can travel on sidewalks in any direction.
This is incorrect, Beech. According to Ontario regulations, e-bikes are subject to the same rules of the road as cyclists, and this includes...

7b3ce80b0564d1894482d711f6ee4e52.png

Source. There's an exception for cyclists under the age of 10 riding on sidewalks, but e-bike riders must be over the age of 16 so it doesn't apply.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
This is incorrect, Beech. According to Ontario regulations, e-bikes are subject to the same rules of the road as cyclists, and this includes...

7b3ce80b0564d1894482d711f6ee4e52.png

Source. There's an exception for cyclists under the age of 10 riding on sidewalks, but e-bike riders must be over the age of 16 so it doesn't apply.
Then we need more police.

It could explain RRS, we have 3.

Man I wish the police would let everyone know, the "you cannot ride". You can balance the city budget by having two constables patrolling Vimy Bridge alone. Heck add 2 or 4 constables on Earl Armstrong and you would balance the Province's budget.

Crap Dude, the "you cannot ride" rules are being violated all the time. less the 400 series.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
undoubtedly here as well. Although I believe here 25 Mile per hour may be the limit.. or about 35 KPH.

Here is the basic issue.

And so in congested locations, traveling at 35 KMH, on a 100 lb bike and you are 200 lb.. you are begging for trouble.

a net 140kg rider/bike at 25 KMH, packs a punch equivalent to a 3 - 6G force or a person falling 2 M. Essentially falling off a shed. Don't try it.

at 35 KMH, the Collison is probably around a 3 M fall.

Yeah, no, bikes are definitely not allowed on the sidewalk, ordinary scooters either, and police do issues fines for that, in fact I would say it is a favourite activity of theirs because it lets them make money doing what they love - hassling the poor and deviant.

Reactions: Bileur

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
How come hf sens doesn't have an all-purpose lounge-like thread for francophone chatter? I think it would be funny if we had one since the habs don't seem to have one.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How come hf sens doesn't have an all-purpose lounge-like thread for francophone chatter? I think it would be funny if we had one since the habs don't seem to have one.
HF boards as a whole is english only, it's actually in the forum rules. My guess as to why is to ensure consistent moderation, you might not have mods that can speak both languages all the time, and given the local mods can't always be around even if they did know french, global mods need to be able to address things too,

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
CTV is carrying the Bills game today, but only in every other broadcasting region. Ottawa CTV is carrying Chiefs-Jaguars and Seahawks-Lions. To see the Bills game, I'd have to subscribe to time-shifting with Bell. Why???

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
CTV is carrying the Bills game today, but only in every other broadcasting region. Ottawa CTV is carrying Chiefs-Jaguars and Seahawks-Lions. To see the Bills game, I'd have to subscribe to time-shifting with Bell. Why???
Ya I get timeshifting for 4 months a year, then cancel.
It’s $5 month, get more games each week to choose from.

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Yeah, no, bikes are definitely not allowed on the sidewalk, ordinary scooters either, and police do issues fines for that, in fact I would say it is a favourite activity of theirs because it lets them make money doing what they love - hassling the poor and deviant.
not here Mac,

The city has starved the Ottawa police Services. In River Side South, we have a community of 19,000 people. There are 3 police constables...

Now, it is rich suburbia, so crime is low, but 3!!!!! no one is going to give a ticket to anyone.

You can buzz here in your car at 100 KMH in residential zones and no one will stop you. As a result, a quiet lawlessness has settled into our society. You can do what you want and no one will know, or stop you.

If you call 911, you are guaranteed an hour wait.. 911!!!!

and so bikes on sidewalks, or anywhere else is common. I just came back in from a ride.. Today was bike day, 3 rides for a total for 2 hours.. I saw a solid 100 other people on bikes, and on motorized scooters/skateboards..most were violating the law big time.. No one flinches.

Ohh well. At least in Suberbia, there is little chance of accidents or collisions, we do not have the congestion.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
not here Mac,

The city has starved the Ottawa police Services. In River Side South, we have a community of 19,000 people. There are 3 police constables...

Now, it is rich suburbia, so crime is low, but 3!!!!! no one is going to give a ticket to anyone.

You can buzz here in your car at 100 KMH in residential zones and no one will stop you. As a result, a quiet lawlessness has settled into our society. You can do what you want and no one will know, or stop you.

If you call 911, you are guaranteed an hour wait.. 911!!!!

and so bikes on sidewalks, or anywhere else is common. I just came back in from a ride.. Today was bike day, 3 rides for a total for 2 hours.. I saw a solid 100 other people on bikes, and on motorized scooters/skateboards..most were violating the law big time.. No one flinches.

Ohh well. At least in Suberbia, there is little chance of accidents or collisions, we do not have the congestion.
Since retirement I’ve used the bike path system to pretty much go all over the City, and I go out of my way to use residential streets, some “calmed” others not, to avoid the traffic you speak of… but there are places where there are no bike paths and to connect to the next leg of the bike path system, you have to make a choice to ride on the street, with the higher volume of traffic and a high percentage of them using mobile phones while driving…. Or, use the side walk for a short piece … the bank street bridge over the Rideau comes to mind… my choice is to use the sidewalk rather than endanger my life, or injury…. In a mishap between a motor vehicle and a cyclist …. Well there aren’t to many “Ghost cars” memorials around are there?

Reactions: maclean

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Since retirement I’ve used the bike path system to pretty much go all over the City, and I go out of my way to use residential streets, some “calmed” others not, to avoid the traffic you speak of… but there are places where there are no bike paths and to connect to the next leg of the bike path system, you have to make a choice to ride on the street, with the higher volume of traffic and a high percentage of them using mobile phones while driving…. Or, use the side walk for a short piece … the bank street bridge over the Rideau comes to mind… my choice is to use the sidewalk rather than endanger my life, or injury…. In a mishap between a motor vehicle and a cyclist …. Well there aren’t to many “Ghost cars” memorials around are there?
With this context, I'm sure you advocate for more cycling infrastructure in the city, yes?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
With this context, I'm sure you advocate for more cycling infrastructure in the city, yes?
Yes, enough to get cyclists out of dangers way in the areas that they are forced to drive in high congestion areas because they don’t have another choice…. But also not at the expense of removing lanes for automobile traffic, as that creates more congestion. For their own protection, there should be high volume traffic streets where cycling is prohibited when there is an adjacent dedicated cycling lane… like along the Airport Parkway, and other Parkways.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Yes, enough to get cyclists out of dangers way in the areas that they are forced to drive in high congestion areas because they don’t have another choice…. But also not at the expense of removing lanes for automobile traffic, as that creates more congestion. For their own protection, there should be high volume traffic streets where cycling is prohibited when there is an adjacent dedicated cycling lane… like along the Airport Parkway, and other Parkways.
They should start by widening all of the sidewalks in the burbs to allow them to be multi use for different modes of traffic like what they have all over the city. Bikes should not be allowed to share the road over 60 km/h

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Watching your ex with another guy.... Fun.

Dont shit where you eat boys.
Make sure you never let it show brother, fake it till you make it and you’ll not only be fine, but you’ll have learned some new things about yourself.

You’ve got this :)

Reactions: coladin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad