OT: Sens Lounge - Golf season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sit back, have a Mai Tai, discuss your musical tastes, or what's being thrown on the BBQ this weekend, or just kick back and relax,

This is a politics free zone, religious or climate change talk can find another forum because it doesn't belong here,

Enjoy,

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Praise Alfie.

After years of scrimping and saving, and another year of delays from the builder, I finally managed to buy and move into a house together with a pal. Pretty excited about it. Anyone have any advice or tips for a first-time homeowner?

• Wow
Reactions: bert and maclean

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Praise Alfie.

After years of scrimping and saving, and another year of delays from the builder, I finally managed to buy and move into a house together with a pal. Pretty excited about it. Anyone have any advice or tips for a first-time homeowner?
Nice, congratulations!

One thing I'd suggest is make time to do the minor maintenance stuff that you think you can put off until later, last two houses I've been in there was stuff I'd been meaning to get to right up until selling, procrastination is not my friend...

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Praise Alfie.

Get good insurance (and make sure you know exactly what they don't cover). Make friends with your neighbors (and be a good neighbor!). Start setting up a fund right now for both minor repairs and to replace the appliances. Major appliances really don't last very long these days, and having a maintenance fund with $3-5k in it is a lifesaver when something like a fridge breaks down and you need a new one asap.

And if you don't have a backup power source, look to getting some sort of battery powerpack or generator. Doesn't have to power the entire home (that's expensive as hell), but enough to keep the fridge, router and phone up (and perhaps the tv, too).

Also a good idea to do an air test. Been a few years, so I don't quite remember the official name of it right now (the builders here would know). It tests the air tightness of your home and R rating. Do well on it and there are sometimes government tax rebates. But you might have to wait a few years after the home is built and everything is all settled. Good to find out how much heat (and air conditioning) you home retains. Fixing up any bad drafty areas saves money in the winter.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Nice, congratulations!

One thing I'd suggest is make time to do the minor maintenance stuff that you think you can put off until later, last two houses I've been in there was stuff I'd been meaning to get to right up until selling, procrastination is not my friend...

Thanks! Right there with ya on the procrastination issue... guess it's a bit harder to justify procrastinating on an investment this size, feels like a bad habit worth breaking. Or trying to break. I dunno, I'll start on it tomorrow.

Get good insurance (and make sure you know exactly what they don't cover). Make friends with your neighbors (and be a good neighbor!). Start setting up a fund right now for both minor repairs and to replace the appliances. Major appliances really don't last very long these days, and having a maintenance fund with $3-5k in it is a lifesaver when something like a fridge breaks down and you need a new one asap.

And if you don't have a backup power source, look to getting some sort of battery powerpack or generator. Doesn't have to power the entire home (that's expensive as hell), but enough to keep the fridge, router and phone up (and perhaps the tv, too).

Also a good idea to do an air test. Been a few years, so I don't quite remember the official name of it right now (the builders here would know). It tests the air tightness of your home and R rating. Do well on it and there are sometimes government tax rebates. But you might have to wait a few years after the home is built and everything is all settled. Good to find out how much heat (and air conditioning) you home retains. Fixing up any bad drafty areas saves money in the winter.

Got the minor repairs fund set up and the insurance lined up, but oh man, yeah, backup power especially wouldn't have occurred to me until it was needed and therefore too late. Thanks for putting that on my radar!

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Thanks! Right there with ya on the procrastination issue... guess it's a bit harder to justify procrastinating on an investment this size, feels like a bad habit worth breaking. Or trying to break. I dunno, I'll start on it tomorrow.

Got the minor repairs fund set up and the insurance lined up, but oh man, yeah, backup power especially wouldn't have occurred to me until it was needed and therefore too late. Thanks for putting that on my radar!

If it's a new build, you'll want to keep an eye on things and catch any issues early, there's typically a warranty period to my understanding (I never bought new) and I've heard some wild stories. My brother-in-law apparently had issues with the roof not being attached properly (like, wtf how does that even happen), I've seen issues with drains not being properly tightened in the shower resulting in water damage to the ceiling below it, and a number of other seemingly minor details that lead to bigger headaches if not caught early.

Last edited:

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
If it's a new build, you'll want to keep an eye on things and catch any issues early, there's typically a warranty period to my understanding (I never bought new) and I've heard some wild stories. My brother-in-law apparently had issues with the roof not being attached properly (like, wtf how does that even happen), I've seen issues with drains not being properly tightened in the shower resulting in water damage to the ceiling below it, and a number of other seemingly miner details that lead to bigger headaches if not caught early.
One of my friends had issues on a new build where the grading wasn't done right near the window wells and the entire house ended up shifting within a few months. Definitely keeping a close eye there... but roof not attached right?! That's a new one by me. :laugh: Yikes.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
One of my friends had issues on a new build where the grading wasn't done right near the window wells and the entire house ended up shifting within a few months. Definitely keeping a close eye there... but roof not attached right?! That's a new one by me. :laugh: Yikes.
He had to sue the builders from what recall, it was messy.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sit back, have a Mai Tai, discuss your musical tastes, or what's being thrown on the BBQ this weekend, or just kick back and relax,

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

There were a couple builders out this way back in the day, who would declare bankruptcy right after a subdivision was built so they wouldn't get stuck with fixing all the substandard things they did to cut costs. And, they've magically appear under a different name a year later. I do believe it caught up witht eh main person, but only after a few hundred homes were built.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Normally I'd be going to a rock show per week, but I'm doubling down on saving money for housing goals with my partner. Still seeing some bands I love (Billy Talent, Alexisonfire, Silverstein, We Came As Romans, etc... but not doing the weekly shows I would have done.

Going to be a fun summer though. Workload is finally a bit chill and I have enough time to focus on my nutrition and fitness goals.

Reactions: YouGotAStuGoing

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
And , if a new build, the one year inspection is critical so get a home inspector. Phil Acker is excellent

Tarion is garbage and does more to protect the homebuilders than the homeowners

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Normally I'd be going to a rock show per week, but I'm doubling down on saving money for housing goals with my partner. Still seeing some bands I love (Billy Talent, Alexisonfire, Silverstein, We Came As Romans, etc... but not doing the weekly shows I would have done.

Going to be a fun summer though. Workload is finally a bit chill and I have enough time to focus on my nutrition and fitness goals.
Protect your ears, of course depending on the venue. YOu will need them and you don't want the tinnitus that I live with at 50. Played in many, many bands and didn't think much of it. A lot of rock shows. Tinnitus is not fun, I tell my kids all the time, with their ear pieces always in use, to make sure it is not cranked. Sometime I will walk by them and grab one and check myself!

Reactions: bicboi64

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Protect your ears, of course depending on the venue. YOu will need them and you don't want the tinnitus that I live with at 50. Played in many, many bands and didn't think much of it. A lot of rock shows. Tinnitus is not fun, I tell my kids all the time, with their ear pieces always in use, to make sure it is not cranked. Sometime I will walk by them and grab one and check myself!

Everyone in the music biz has hearing protection. Real eye opener when you see the kids in the front row unprotected with their faces shaking from the bass.

My wife has these awesome custom earbuds that block out sound but allow her to have conversations and understand people.

Re: house, a minor repair/emergency fund is a really smart idea. I'd aim for ~$10,000 so that you're able to cover even larger issues (A/C replacement, washer/dryer break, etc.).

Love owning a house in many ways but the cost of maintenance and upkeep is insane.

Reactions: coladin

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
My wife has these awesome custom earbuds that block out sound but allow her to have conversations and understand people.

I am very intrigued by this, any more info on these? I've only just started wearing earplugs at practice bc my current band plays so much louder than my previous one and it f***ed my ears within a year.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
I am very intrigued by this, any more info on these? I've only just started wearing earplugs at practice bc my current band plays so much louder than my previous one and it f***ed my ears within a year.

I will ask her. I know that she had to get measurements and molding done and it was a custom job.

That seems pretty similar. I believe hers cost like 300-400 USD.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
I will ask her. I know that she had to get measurements and molding done and it was a custom job.

That seems pretty similar. I believe hers cost like 300-400 USD.

yeahhhh ok that's going to be a little bit beyond my means :laugh:

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Absolutely my friend, I don't go to shows without earbuds/plugs at the least. I definitely ruined my ears in my early twenties but learning now. I try to stand in the back or get seats for the mezzanine these days

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
And , if a new build, the one year inspection is critical so get a home inspector. Phil Acker is excellent

Tarion is garbage and does more to protect the homebuilders than the homeowners

A friend of mine just was part of a $16M settlement for a small development that was crapola. He ended up with over $800k for updates and another home rental costs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad