OT: Sens Lounge - Golf season edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACLEVERNAME

schadenfreude
Jan 6, 2010
For the record: I've never been or seen myself as a 'safety advocate' - go with the flow, your choice your consequence IMO.

But wtf is up with these E-Scooters? I was doing 60 (speed limit) on a major road and this guy in nothing but khakis, a polo shirt and Birkenstocks was keeping pace behind me. How has this not been addressed by the city? Hit the wrong bump or hole in the road and life-long skin grafts is the best outcome you can hope for. Jesus Christ.

"Eco-friendly" tho I guess.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
For the record: I've never been or seen myself as a 'safety advocate' - go with the flow, your choice your consequence IMO.

But wtf is up with these E-Scooters? I was doing 60 (speed limit) on a major road and this guy in nothing but khakis, a polo shirt and Birkenstocks was keeping pace behind me. How has this not been addressed by the city? Hit the wrong bump or hole in the road and life-long skin grafts is the best outcome you can hope for. Jesus Christ.

I believe in Ontario to be classed as an e-scouter, you can only have a max of 24km per hour, once you exceed that I think it's treated as a motorcycle and you can be subject to some pretty hefty fines.

You can be pretty sure if the police saw that guy he'd get pulled over pretty quick.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not enough police enforcement on them. It is definitely out of control.

Toronto is a bit of a different animal imo,

Anyways, the legislation is there, not that more can't be done, someone going 60km/hr is treated like a motorcyclist in Ottawa, and would require the appropriate licensing and safety equipment.

The popularity seems to be outpacing public education, sounds like the idiot who hit that lady in the story was on the sidewalk which wouldn't even be ok on a bicycle unless they're under 14.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

I have many issues with the scooter rental business but the people riding them hasn't been one I've personally had to deal with yet. The "eco-friendly" claim though is one. The modes of transport they are competing with are walking, biking or public transit, all of which are much more ecological, plus these companies actually drive around a lot to pick up and charge and redistribute the scooters.

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Cantley

Theres one dude in downtown Ottawa that drives one of those fast escooters like an absolute maniac. I drive my wife to work sometimes and I've already seen him almost get into an accident 3 times. If they're not regulated effectively there are definitely going to be major injuries or deaths as a result.

Reactions: DrEasy

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
1694388638877.png

These go a lot faster than 24kmh
These are also scooters.

I've seen a a lot of people whipping around in traffic without helmets or licenses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad