Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
EbM1Z2OXkAA08To

saskriders

Can't Hold Leads
Sep 11, 2010
Calgary
I can't believe some of the stuff that get's up/down voted on Reddit. There was a post about how Walmart was going to stop displaying or selling anything with Mississippi's flag (which has the well known Confederate battle flag) and someone asked if they would do the same with Georgia's flag (which is similar to the less well known actual Confederate flag).

One of the replies to it (~30 down votes):
"Did we see the same image?
The flag in the link is three stripes, red then white then red. In the upper left-hand corner is a blue area with a circle of Stars. Inside that circle of Stars is the state seal. I do not see any resemblance to that and the Confederate flag. It more closely resembles the US flag of the revolutionary period."

Reply to that (~60 up votes)

"
Yes, we did. But apparently only one of us knows history. You’re misconstruing what the actual confederate flag is with the battleflag (the one used in dukes of hazard)
Flags of the Confederate States of America - Wikipedia"

Like to me the first post is just a question regarding a commonly mistaken understanding. The later post, while right, comes across as condescending.

Obviously I don't support anyone using any of the Confederate flags. I just kinda hate this "social media politics" mentality that the only important thing is being on the right team. It feels like politics in our day and age is: "Don't know something about a topic? You must be on the wrong team since you aren't proclaiming my beliefs 100%", "You do believe the same things as me? That makes it okay to be a dick to anyone that doesn't"

Last edited:

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Am I the only one who thinks "all lives matter" is stupid but at the same time thinks that trying to get people fired from their jobs for saying it is f***ing insane?

I hadn’t heard of one of those cases, though I wouldn’t doubt there’s been some. In general i'd agree, getting fired for that would seem wrong because of course all lives indeed do matter. But it would depend on the context.

I remember a while back there was that FHITP trend, and some guy working for Ontario Hydro I think it was, with a 6 figure salary, said it on camera to a female reporter doing a piece outside a stadium. Luckily, he had a strong union and with appeals and apologies he apparently managed to keep his job. If you make your company look bad by saying something foolish, even outside work, they often have labour rights on their side to fire you.

Early in the BLM movement Bernie Sanders was giving a speech outside at a rally or press conference and he responded with an ‘all lives matter’ response the first time he was asked about BLM. Many BLM protesters were there to hear him and then starting chanting and disrupting his rally. Bernie wasn’t really being stupid or malevolent, he thought he was being on the side of good and the progressive. But then he immersed himself in the issue, broadening his perspective, and became able to say black lives matter and understand why what he said was demonstrating he didn’t understand both sides of an important issue.

Some people when they say all lives matter though, are really saying it in the same spirit as some carrying the confederate flag. They may not mean it malevolently as to them they aren’t associating the evil of it. But many are also able to step outside of their cultural bubble, broaden their perspective and become more aware like the great statements from NASCAR and the NFL recently showed.

If people are saying all lives matter thinking they are being egalitarian and progressive, they will often easily be presented a broader view that they come to understand and accept and will change them.

But some of course cant or refuse to say black lives matter. When they are saying ALM it is coming from a place of hatred. And when that becomes obvious, firing seems perfectly warranted and acceptable to me. It depends on the context I’d figure.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Am I the only one who thinks "all lives matter" is stupid but at the same time thinks that trying to get people fired from their jobs for saying it is f***ing insane?

I tend to see that the people getting fired from their jobs are saying far far much worse stuff than all lives matter. They may say that too, but they also say just straight up racist shit as well.

Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Is it normal for a three year old to be in diapers still?
You need to get your kids out of diapers before they go to kindergarten, so 4. We worked to get our kids out before they turned 2 but had friends that went the just on time route and left it till the summer before jk4.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

Depends who you ask. Where I live they start going to pre-school at three, so that's really the deadline. That said I have a friend whose kid is already in Grade 1 and I saw her buying diapers for him - apparently for the night because he pees the bed. From a parenting perspective I would say three and beyond is quite late for the simple reason that by that age they really have their own mind and it's going to be hard to get them over that last hump (especially if you haven't established proper authority, which is a fairly standard state of affairs these days).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

While I do think there should be some consequences for hate speech and the like, I have a difficult time with the concept of causing someone to lose their job over a single phrase or outburst in most cases. With so many people being two missed paychecks from being homeless, leaving them unemployed is one hell of a punishment. Of course, it does depend on contest, too. If someone is carrying a swastika and in a kkk outfit and out protesting publicly...then yeah, I don't an employer would give that persona second chance. But it really has to be extreme for a one strike and you're out reaction.

Now, if you're a public figure in a sense...a teacher, a PR person, or a celebrity where you know going into that realm that your words will be under scrutiny, then it's a different issue. Most of these professions these days explain quite clearly the standards of social media conduct outside of the workplace and all of that. You know anything linked back to you from social media will bite you in the butt.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
While I do think there should be some consequences for hate speech and the like, I have a difficult time with the concept of causing someone to lose their job over a single phrase or outburst in most cases. With so many people being two missed paychecks from being homeless, leaving them unemployed is one hell of a punishment. Of course, it does depend on contest, too. If someone is carrying a swastika and in a kkk outfit and out protesting publicly...then yeah, I don't an employer would give that persona second chance. But it really has to be extreme for a one strike and you're out reaction.

Now, if you're a public figure in a sense...a teacher, a PR person, or a celebrity where you know going into that realm that your words will be under scrutiny, then it's a different issue. Most of these professions these days explain quite clearly the standards of social media conduct outside of the workplace and all of that. You know anything linked back to you from social media will bite you in the butt.

This is why I've largely disconnected from social media over the past few years. If not just for my own mental health but to cover my ass in case I did something wrong in years past I'm totally unaware of.

Just seems nowadays that there's zero tolerance for anything going against the political zeitgeist. Even remotely. This is harmful and those that think they're eradicating the evils of the world through brutal excommunication are really just sweeping it out of sight. It's not gone.

I actually read an article recently about those who have been fired either due to association with someone who did something offensive, or someone deliberately misinterpreting something they did as offensive, etc. I think this is a problem that's only getting worse. Public discourse being treated as a zero sum game.

Stop Firing the Innocent

Reactions: DrEasy

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
This is why I've largely disconnected from social media over the past few years. If not just for my own mental health but to cover my ass in case I did something wrong in years past I'm totally unaware of.

Just seems nowadays that there's zero tolerance for anything going against the political zeitgeist. Even remotely. This is harmful and those that think they're eradicating the evils of the world through brutal excommunication are really just sweeping it out of sight. It's not gone.

I actually read an article recently about those who have been fired either due to association with someone who did something offensive, or someone deliberately misinterpreting something they did as offensive, etc. I think this is a problem that's only getting worse. Public discourse being treated as a zero sum game.

Stop Firing the Innocent

On the other hand, people have been being fired for ages because they didn't have the right haircut or had tattoos and many other even more trivial matters. Now it's closet racists getting fired and it's the end of the world.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
On the other hand, people have been being fired for ages because they didn't have the right haircut or had tattoos and many other even more trivial matters. Now it's closet racists getting fired and it's the end of the world.

No, it isn't just 'closet racists' getting fired. That's the point. Read the article I posted. Are we really going to believe that the social media mob has a perfect batting average with this stuff? Believe it or not, there's a pretty significant grey area between racist or not racist, especially given subjective interpretation and how the goalposts on this stuff keep moving constantly. This week episodes of The Office, Community, 30 Rock, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, all relatively recent shows, were removed from streaming services because of depictions of "blackface." Now, none of these shows actually depicted blackface in a positive light, and deliberately used it as a display of extreme ignorance on the part of individual characters. This was fine several months ago. Now it's not.

I wonder what will be declared contraband next week. Something tells me that any fans of Tropic Thunder should probably pick up a copy quick.

Plus, what exactly is the mechanism for absolution for those found guilty of 'racist behaviour'? They've been fired, ok. So now can they get a new job somewhere else? Will they be hoping that any prospective employers never google their names for the rest of their lives? Do they need to make a tearful apology over Facebook? Instagram? Twitter? Do they have to buy an indulgence in the form of a charitable donation to some hastily assembled organization with the right slogan?

Last edited:
Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

On that note, those types of firings weren't right, either. That's one of the reasons why we have some laws in place to protect workers these days.

Though I daresay, in the past it was more a case of tattoo boy or the bad haircut/ugly person not being able to get the job to begin with, more than being unjustly fired because of something outside the quality of their work.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
No, it isn't just 'closet racists' getting fired. That's the point. Read the article I posted. Are we really going to believe that the social media mob has a perfect batting average with this stuff? Believe it or not, there's a pretty significant grey area between racist or not racist, especially given subjective interpretation and how the goalposts on this stuff keep moving constantly. This week episodes of The Office, Community, 30 Rock, and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, all relatively recent shows, were removed from streaming services because of depictions of "blackface." Now, none of these shows actually depicted blackface in a positive light, and deliberately used it as a display of extreme ignorance on the part of individual characters. This was fine several months ago. Now it's not.

I wonder what will be declared contraband next week. Something tells me that any fans of Tropic Thunder should probably pick up a copy quick.

Plus, what exactly is the mechanism for absolution for those found guilty of 'racist behaviour'? They've been fired, ok. So now can they get a new job somewhere else? Will they be hoping that any prospective employers never google their names for the rest of their lives? Do they need to make a tearful apology over Facebook? Instagram? Twitter? Do they have to buy an indulgence in the form of a charitable donation to some hastily assembled organization with the right slogan?

I'll come straight out and say I'm making no effort to be objective and I apologise. Pretty much all of TV is trash that does nothing but use cliches and stereotypes to give people a cheap laugh while promoting unrealistic and unattainable lifestyles and they can ban it all for all I care, people will be the better off. I know I'm not being a constructive debater here and I have no intention of taking your position away from you, but from where I stand there are so many walks of life that have been discriminated against forever and still are to this day that however far people feel the pendulum is swinging the other way, they're wrong, the pendulum is and will remain predominantly on the side of the privileged.

Going back and reading the article I can say, yes those situations range from unfortunate to ridiculous and should probably not have happened. At the same time, they are highly anecdotal, not systematic, while systematic discrimination does continue to prevail. Where I do agree is that mindless mob mentality is not constructive and is the same thing that was responsible for lynching of various minorities in the past. But I can't blame the progressive movement for trying to take its victories now that there is an inkling of a chance to do so. Honestly there have been decades of people attempting to address these problems through constructive debate, peaceful protest, organised lobbying, all the avenues afforded by democracy, and all to no avail. At some point you just run out of patience.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
There is nothing wrong with your kid, you have less than a year to fix this, our family GP always said, the baby will do this when they are ready. Just practice some games of peeing in the toilet with some cereal like Froot Loops as the targets.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Reading that article, those all sound like unfortunate cases. Social media does create situations where a virtual torch and pitchfork mob can do an online lynching thinking they are enacting vigilante justice. Are these cases just a few bad apples or is this a systemic problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad