OT: Sens Lounge CVI - The O & D Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Law enforcement

Hire cops that completely lose it . Are there not tests for this.

This story is unreal

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
So where are all these millions of dollars being thrown around actually going? Who's in charge of it? What is it for, exactly?

Reactions: Stylizer1

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
So where are all these millions of dollars being thrown around actually going? Who's in charge of it? What is it for, exactly?
There are a quite a few organizations. The one JA donated to is About Us | Color Of Change is the nation’s largest online racial justice organization

Michael Jordan donates $100 million to "organizations dedicated to ensuring racial equality, social justice and greater access to education.

20 Organizations Canadians Can Support in the Fight for Racial Equality

Reactions: Ed Wood

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

“You my opposer when I want freedom, you my opposer when I want justice, you my opposer when I want equality. You won’t even stand up for me in America for my religious beliefs and you want me to go somewhere and fight when you won’t even stand up for me here at home!”

In his hometown of Louisville Kentucky ,upon returning home from the Rome 1960 Summer Olympics with a gold medal for the United States...

from a David Frost interview
Vlzcko.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Random question.

So lets say that people's goal of defunding the police actually happens. What exactly are these people expecting to happen to crime? What is their solution to it happening?

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary

None of that talks about what is suppose to replace police if you get rid of it completely.

(and before we talk about private detectives and security forces, I'm not entirely convinced that's anything other than privatizing security to me, and from the perspective of health care [and electricity and water, and telecommunications], I don't really think privatizing public services works very well)

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
None of that talks about what is suppose to replace police if you get rid of it completely.

(and before we talk about private detectives and security forces, I'm not entirely convinced that's anything other than privatizing security to me, and from the perspective of health care [and electricity and water, and telecommunications], I don't really think privatizing public services works very well)
Defunding does not mean get rid of completely. It means taking funds away from policing and giving them to more necessary areas. Defunding is about putting less resources into policing and punitive enforcement, and more resources into communities. Things like affordable housing and mental health services.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Defund the police is such an unfortunate slogan. I mean I can interpret what they mean but we already saw the minny mayor get booed by a crowd when he said: reform not defund. Taking funds out of police budgets and putting it towards more social workers who may better deal with some homeless people calls or some drug calls or some other situations that we unfairly pawn off on the police has worked elsewhere. Camden NJ just had an article written about their success there.

But it seems there was a real danger that this idea could get bipartisan support and go somewhere. And since the goal appears to be never ending partisan conflict rather than accomplishing things, this slogan might have saved the day.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Montreal's police force went on strike for 16 hours in 1969. Looting, rioting and bank robberies instantly went through the roof. The army had to be called in and it was forever known as Montreal's "Night of Terror." I have no issues with additional money being spent on things like mental health and addiction. Police are asked to be psychologists, which they just aren't capable of. That being said people such as the protesters at the Minneapolis rally that shouted at the mayor for not wanting to abolish police entirely, those people are f***ing bonkers.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road

Did you read the article?

It outlines exactly what happened to a city in the US that has already gone through this.

It doesn’t mean lawlessness.... or no cops. Don’t believe the hype. It will never happen. In a country of guns, you’re going to need to enforce gun control.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
UPDATED: Bochenski wins Grand Forks mayor election, ending Brown's long tenure in office | Grand Forks Herald

That's Mayor Bochenski to you.

Bochenski’s victory means a seismic shift in Grand Forks politics, away from Brown’s centrist style and more toward a free-market philosophy. During his campaign, Bochenski promised to focus less on downtown development, beautification and the arts, and more on slashing taxes and growing the workforce and local economy. He won the backing of many local conservatives, even drawing a letter of support from the local Republican Party.

No doubt he will get off to a great start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad