Speculation: Sens, Lebreton, and the NCC part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
Any new owner/ownership groups PR department will have the easiest job in the league. They have 3 franchise players still in their prime, a number of pretty good prospects at various different development stages.

The fixes will be easy for a new owner

- actually connect with ALL fans, not just STH
- keep Dorion at first but make sure he’s not running a 1 man front office, properly surround him and support him with advisers (Alfredsson comes to mind)
- Change jerseys/Logo to what fans have been begging for for a decade
- invest in scouting and development and make it publicly known what’s done
- Market the crap out of the fact there’s a new owner and that hope has returned for this franchise
- start work on Lebreton ASAP

HFSensLurker

Aug 2, 2018
Can we get the thread back on track and stop arguing over business ethics? I'm more curious as to possible guesses people have at who this potential new partner can actually be. Anyone I have been able to think of has pretty much already been discussed and dismissed in this thread. My only other guess would be the owner of Shopify but that doesn't seem like a fit. I don't pretend to know the who's who of the business world in Ottawa, but would love to hear other opinions.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I'd say the latter is a much stronger possibility. If an ownership change is coming up you'd think they'd make sure the core is signed long term, no?

We don't know.

I have no idea how ownership transfers in this context.

Your assumption is reasonable but maybe that isn't how it works in this scenario.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I have no idea how they are in the community, what their reputations are and how they run their current businesses. Just as I don't know (or care) how Melnyk runs his other businesses.

In regards to how they would run the Ottawa Senators though, absolutely, yeah. No one is buying this team (for $400+ million) to run a bare bones operation as Melnyk has done for a few years now. As long as new ownership comes in and invests in the team and doesn't blatantly insult the fan base I think a large majority of Senators fans will be happy.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but when you're currently living in a swamp the odds are a heck of a lot better.

I can't wait to see the acrimony on this board when a new owner comes in and raises the prices of everything at least 50% to cover the increase in spending you guys so desperately crave.

Reactions: coladin and slamigo

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Any new owner/ownership groups PR department will have the easiest job in the league. They have 3 franchise players still in their prime, a number of pretty good prospects at various different development stages.

The fixes will be easy for a new owner

- actually connect with ALL fans, not just STH
- keep Dorion at first but make sure he’s not running a 1 man front office, properly surround him and support him with advisers (Alfredsson comes to mind)
- Change jerseys/Logo to what fans have been begging for for a decade
- invest in scouting and development and make it publicly known what’s done
- Market the crap out of the fact there’s a new owner and that hope has returned for this franchise
- start work on Lebreton ASAP

In the same vein as your ideas, but a simplified version.

1. Sign Karlsson, Stone and Duchene to extensions
2. Unveil "new" 2D jerseys at press conference announcing extensions
3. Profit

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I can't wait to see the acrimony on this board when a new owner comes in and raises the prices of everything at least 50% to cover the increase in spending you guys so desperately crave.

That's not hyperbole at all. Good job on keeping grounded predictions.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
At least 50% across the board? :laugh:

Let's keep this discussion grounded in a little bit of realism.

It’s pretty funny hearing these people say that price is the only reason why people don’t attend anymore. It’s about the perceived value of the product vs it’s price. For the past few seasons now, all we’ve been hearing and seeing is an organization stripped to its bare bones and an owner blaming the fan base for his own business’ shortcomings. He’s blamed everyone else but himself.

If you put together an exciting perennial contender, I don’t think fans would be too upset about increasing prices. They just don’t want to support a hopeless team knowing that whenever a good player comes along, they inevitable get shipped out when they break out.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I love the "you guys so desperately crave." part

Wait, which fan doesn't want this organization to be just more than just a 1 man management operation, a proper scouting team, an existent marketing team, a team that actually pays its invoices, an actual CEO or president, etc.

I love how the poster seems to try to differentiate themselves from the "fans" as in they are asking for the moon, while its just some basic ass minimal shit that every franchise has, and every owner should provide, and if they can't then they shouldn't have a team.

Man Melnyk did a number on some of you guys. When fans are asking for minimal basic stuff, they are the "dreamers" lol.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
You didn' t answer my question, regardless of what @mysens said. Maybe he exaggerated , or has 1st hand knowledge.

What makes you think that the Greenbergs have a good reputation in the business world? Do you think that any of those individuals are much different than Melnyk? These people are all cut from the same cloth, whether you would like to admit it or not.

Is this where I get to be like mysens and imply all my relationships in the city? Not interested.
I would be interested in what metrics you’re using to insist that Shenkman, Ruddy, and Greenberg have poor reputations in the city? Personal opinion? Personal relationships? Employees? Trades? Other developers? Charity organizations? Time commitment to personal causes? - Maybe I could use the same ones as you, y’know, so we’re all on the same page.

These people are not all cut from the same cloth, wether you like to admit it or not.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
First of all, the Greenbergs are not potential new owners. Let's get that out of the way. They are losing millions on a rinky dink operation like the RedBlacks, and they are aggressive in selling their assets right now because, guess what Sens and RedBlack fans, they also don't like to lose money.

The rumoured potential partners , AKAIK, have a pretty squeaky clean reputation, aside from the typical pissed off customers that are in every business. Where did I or @mysens say anything about the new owners?

I just find it "humorous" all the flack that Melnyk gets whereas is he pulled off anything similar to what OSEG did it would be the biggest story of the year. And, let me also remind @Wondercarrot, as you are famous to do to blame the owner for all issues Sens related, that whether OSEG or Pomerleau or however everyone wants to spin that debacle, the responsibility ALSO ends up being the owner. You can't have it both ways on HF, or can you?

Hypocrisy and duplicity also reeks in this board

Stop @ me with these idiotic strawman arguments.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
I love the "you guys so desperately crave." part

Wait, which fan doesn't want this organization to be just more than just a 1 man management operation, a proper scouting team, an existent marketing team, a team that actually pays its invoices, an actual CEO or president, etc.

I love how the poster seems to try to differentiate themselves from the "fans" as in they are asking for the moon, while its just some basic ass minimal **** that every franchise has, and every owner should provide, and if they can't then they shouldn't have a team.

Man Melnyk did a number on some of you guys. When fans are asking for minimal basic stuff, they are the "dreamers" lol.

"It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grammes a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grammes a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it."

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017
I just find it "humorous" all the flack that Melnyk gets whereas is he pulled off anything similar to what OSEG did it would be the biggest story of the year.

Unfortunately for the Sens' organization the indiscretions Melnyk has "pulled off" have been much, much worse than the OSEG group.

And you know it.

And I guarantee that I'll be the first person to cancel my RedBlack season tickets when:

Star Redblacks players or management start asking or demanding to leave or resign from the organization; when coaches start being publicly humiliated; if in a drunken state one of the OSEG owners ever attempts to break into the Redblacks dressing room after a loss; and, last but certainly not least, when OSEG starts blaming the fans for the failure of their own product.

Those are only just a few examples off the top of my head, there are many, many more.

Hope that makes you feel better.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Billionaire,s are ruthless...Who knew???To get to that level of monetary success,you have to step over people or through them...People thinking otherwise are just being naive

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Unfortunately for the Sens' organization the indiscretions Melnyk has "pulled off" have been much, much worse than the OSEG group.

And you know it.

And I guarantee that I'll be the first person to cancel my RedBlack season tickets when:

Star Redblacks players or management start asking or demanding to leave or resign from the organization; when coaches start being publicly humiliated; if a drunken state one of the OSEG owners ever attempts to break into the Redblacks dressing room after a loss; and, last but certainly not least, when OSEG starts blaming the fans for the failure of their own product.

Those are only just a few examples off the top of my head, there are many, many more.

Hope that makes you feel better.

I'm really interested to see how the Redblacks will respond this off-season. As it is now, they are losing STH's, there has been quite the drop from last year and it expects to be an even bigger drop after this year.

The honeymoon is over now and with the mediocrity this season, they aren't really inspiring anybody to go see them as they did for the first few years. They will need some creative marketing.

The Sens are a lost cause with Melnyk, but would be helpful to any new owners to see how the Redblacks go about this.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I'm really interested to see how the Redblacks will respond this off-season. As it is now, they are losing STH's, there has been quite the drop from last year and it expects to be an even bigger drop after this year.

The honeymoon is over now and with the mediocrity this season, they aren't really inspiring anybody to go see them as they did for the first few years. They will need some creative marketing.

The Sens are a lost cause with Melnyk, but would be helpful to any new owners.
The CFL has been a foundering league for decades,we all love to go to games but does anybody really follow that league intensely ??It is never going to be a money maker,never has been never will be

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
The CFL has been a foundering league for decades,we all love to go to games but does anybody really follow that league intensely ??It is never going to be a money maker,never has been never will be

I follow it quite close.

I get what you are saying, but the league isn't as bad as you think it is. People have this perception because of Toronto, but almost every other market is healthy.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
I follow it quite close.

I get what you are saying, but the league isn't as bad as you think it is. People have this perception because of Toronto, but almost every other market is healthy.
Ok maybe i went a little too harsh there,I understand the west does really well,but the east has had its fair share of troubles....The issue for teams like Toronto and I guess BC would be the high cost of living ,most average CFLers cant afford to live in those cities

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Thinking it may be time to take our cup back ,and open up some sort of museum,in the new arena.. About the history of our city and its role in starting up the league that would become the NHL...Toronto has had it long enough

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Wow, I can't believe the rose colored glasses some of you have here. You have absolutely no idea what the real world big business works, I can tell you, there is no way I would have any confidence in OSEG coming in as partners, you guys think EM is scum? Boy, you all have alot to learn, and no, it's not OSEG or thr Mierens either coming in. The family is going all in and they will be smart and frugal with the money coming in. So, as far as some disciple from the holy lord coming in and turning things upside down, you will be dissapointed. This is a business transaction and these millionaires and billionaires are in it to NOT lose money.

Reactions: Tnuoc Alucard

Grizwald

Dec 19, 2017

The Sens are a lost cause with Melnyk, but would be helpful to any new owners to see how the Redblacks go about this.

Oh for sure! The Grey Cup was held in Ottawa last year and that also helped to sell season tickets. The RedBlacks will not sellout every game from this point on, not even close, but there is no reason they can't average 20,000 or more. Many young people also attend the games and all seem to having a great time and that's encouraging.

OSEG will certainly continue to market the RedBlacks in a professional and creative manner, a complete opposite approach to the doofus who owns the Sens, and I'm hopeful a new owner of the Sens will follow suit.

If Menlyk does indeed partner with someone for ownership of the Sens - who in their right mind would want to partner with Melnyk? - the best marketing the new partner can do is to get in writing from Menlyk that he promises to stay in Barbados and keep his mouth shut. Good luck with that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smash88

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Is this where I get to be like mysens and imply all my relationships in the city? Not interested.
I would be interested in what metrics you’re using to insist that Shenkman, Ruddy, and Greenberg have poor reputations in the city? Personal opinion? Personal relationships? Employees? Trades? Other developers? Charity organizations? Time commitment to personal causes? - Maybe I could use the same ones as you, y’know, so we’re all on the same page.

These people are not all cut from the same cloth, wether you like to admit it or not.
Unfortunately my "metrics" would not satisfy your criteria. I know them all personally, I have executed deals with some of them and I know many many large contractors and trades who deal with them. So, as I posted before and you obviously don't want to believe me, they are not your Ottawa super heroes. And yes, every successful millionaire is cut from the same cloth, in the end, it all just numbers. Big numbers.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I’m currently at a lunch/brunch/dinner sitting next to Duchene and he just got a text that he’s being traded to the Red Blacks.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Wow, I can't believe the rose colored glasses some of you have here. You have absolutely no idea what the real world big business works, I can tell you, there is no way I would have any confidence in OSEG coming in as partners, you guys think EM is scum? Boy, you all have alot to learn, and no, it's not OSEG or thr Mierens either coming in. The family is going all in and they will be smart and frugal with the money coming in. So, as far as some disciple from the holy lord coming in and turning things upside down, you will be dissapointed. This is a business transaction and these millionaires and billionaires are in it to NOT lose money.

You should tell your friends to make a safer investment then.

Reactions: BloodRedArmy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad