Speculation: Sens, Lebreton, and the NCC part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Wow, I can't believe the rose colored glasses some of you have here. You have absolutely no idea what the real world big business works, I can tell you, there is no way I would have any confidence in OSEG coming in as partners, you guys think EM is scum? Boy, you all have alot to learn, and no, it's not OSEG or thr Mierens either coming in. The family is going all in and they will be smart and frugal with the money coming in. So, as far as some disciple from the holy lord coming in and turning things upside down, you will be dissapointed. This is a business transaction and these millionaires and billionaires are in it to NOT lose money.
Well shit, then why should we be at all excited about this happening? Fans want an owner interested in making this team one that can attempt to compete financially, so if it's just same old same old that we're getting now, doesn't that pretty much kill any excitement about it anyways?

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Well ****, then why should we be at all excited about this happening? Fans want an owner interested in making this team one that can attempt to compete financially, so if it's just same old same old that we're getting now, doesn't that pretty much kill any excitement about it anyways?

Honestly if the only difference is that Karlsson is willing to sign an extension because the new owners aren't Melnyk, I'll be happy.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Because apparently, EM is scum and cheap. People, this city has excuses for everything, wait when the new partnership come in, it won't be long that the same yahoo's are complaining about the amenities and anything related about going to a live game. Nothing will change. I really don't know what knight in shining armour you are all waiting for?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well ****, then why should we be at all excited about this happening? Fans want an owner interested in making this team one that can attempt to compete financially, so if it's just same old same old that we're getting now, doesn't that pretty much kill any excitement about it anyways?

I think the point is that fans should expect to pay more to get more. I'm hoping that new ownership is willing to make an initial investment to flesh out the organization, and commit to contracts for our stars, but the fans will have to come back and invest more in the team if they want a cap team.

I definitely think that a new partner will have to show the fans that they're willing to run a competitive team upfront by doing these things, but then it will come back to the fans to show that they're willing to pay to watch a competitive team.

Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not saying the fans can't or won't, I'm simply saying that it will likely be necessary. I don't think any ownership is going to come in and absorb losses year after year. If we want the team to compete with the bigger fish, we'll need to be willing to pay like fans of the bigger fish.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Because apparently, EM is scum and cheap. People, this city has excuses for everything, wait when the new partnership come in, it won't be long that the same yahoo's are complaining about the amenities and anything related about going to a live game. Nothing will change. I really don't know what knight in shining armour you are all waiting for?
If Melnyk retains control your "friends" are throwing their money on a bonfire and you would be wise to advise them to run away screaming.

This city is DONE with Eugene...time for him to cash in his chips and move on down the road to retirement.

Reactions: Rand0m and Chezzz

BloodRedArmy

Nov 29, 2013
Bytown
Is it just me (and do tell if it is), or do you spend a LOT of time on internet message boards for someone who should be negotiating massive deals and wooing high profile development prospects?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Wow, I can't believe the rose colored glasses some of you have here. You have absolutely no idea what the real world big business works, I can tell you, there is no way I would have any confidence in OSEG coming in as partners, you guys think EM is scum? Boy, you all have alot to learn, and no, it's not OSEG or thr Mierens either coming in. The family is going all in and they will be smart and frugal with the money coming in. So, as far as some disciple from the holy lord coming in and turning things upside down, you will be dissapointed. This is a business transaction and these millionaires and billionaires are in it to NOT lose money.

133617cb63a6207a177a9d781e73c3f4.png

If only us poor peasants could truly understand that private businesses are in it to earn money. Oh the revelation. Please educate us plebes.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Honestly if the only difference is that Karlsson is willing to sign an extension because the new owners aren't Melnyk, I'll be happy.
I guess. I'm not as attached to one player as I am to actually being able to field a financially competitive team. This franchise obviously needs more available finances to be able to compete in this league going forward, so even if we do keep him, we can't surround him properly. The team we're about to field this year based on the roster as it stands now is embarrassing imo. We've done nothing but subtract from one of the leagues worst teams.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Oh for sure! The Grey Cup was held in Ottawa last year and that also helped to sell season tickets. The RedBlacks will not sellout every game from this point on, not even close, but there is no reason they can't average 20,000 or more. Many young people also attend the games and all seem to having a great time and that's encouraging.

OSEG will certainly continue to market the RedBlacks in a professional and creative manner, a complete opposite approach to the doofus who owns the Sens, and I'm hopeful a new owner of the Sens will follow suit.

If Menlyk does indeed partner with someone for ownership of the Sens - who in their right mind would want to partner with Melnyk? - the best marketing the new partner can do is to get in writing from Menlyk that he promises to stay in Barbados and keep his mouth shut. Good luck with that.

We'll see, this will be the first time they really need to market, at the present I don't really see all that much marketing outside of the Glebe. So will be interesting how they do it. I'm fairly sure it's the 25 - 35 age group that is slowly starting to not go as much anymore. The scheduling this year also really didn't help.

I agree with you about Melnyk, if he remains the main player, then not too much will change for the Sens.

Reactions: Henderson1972

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
And I love how he starts this whole thing with, oh I got good news guys, better days are ahead, and starts hyping people up. Then when those people get excited, lol nope they are worse than Melnyk, you guys are bad poor fans, always complaining, melnyk is a gud guy. lol I negotiate big deals, I am important.

289238.jpg

Last edited:

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think the point is that fans should expect to pay more to get more. I'm hoping that new ownership is willing to make an initial investment to flesh out the organization, and commit to contracts for our stars, but the fans will have to come back and invest more in the team if they want a cap team.

I definitely think that a new partner will have to show the fans that they're willing to run a competitive team upfront by doing these things, but then it will come back to the fans to show that they're willing to pay to watch a competitive team.

Before anyone jumps down my throat I'm not saying the fans can't or won't, I'm simply saying that it will likely be necessary. I don't think any ownership is going to come in and absorb losses year after year. If we want the team to compete with the bigger fish, we'll need to be willing to pay like fans of the bigger fish.
That's fair, and moving to Lebreton is obviously a huge part in being financially competitive one day.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008

Someone that doesn't use the team as a primary source of income would be a start.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I guess. I'm not as attached to one player as I am to actually being able to field a financially competitive team. This franchise obviously needs more available finances to be able to compete in this league going forward, so even if we do keep him, we can't surround him properly. The team we're about to field this year based on the roster as it stands now is embarrassing imo. We've done nothing but subtract from one of the leagues worst teams.
The only reason the team can't compete financially is because Eugene loaded it with debt.

Reactions: Henderson1972

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018

“We” no longer are... you’re here.

Rand0m

Oct 2, 2011
If Melnyk is still the majority partner then this team is still doomed to fail in Ottawa. Melnyk needs to GTFO of Ottawa, I don’t see anything he can do or say that will change the perception of him.

Again, if it’s such a horrible money losing business then why are your friends investing? And from hearing your opinion, which I’m sure you’ve shared with them, why would they want to invest if Ottawa is such a poor market?

And news flash Mr Business Expert, if the customer doesn’t like the product that’s being offered to them, they can simply not buy it, that’s the only real power a consumer has. They can also voice their displeasure too but if a business owner IGNORES what his customers are telling him/her, then he/she will fail at running this business. You can’t blame your customers for not buying your product if they know you’re offering them a mediocre product.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Great observation. I have a load of time on my hands as I am vacationing for a month with my young family in southern Italy. Incredible place. Very relaxing and lots of time to gather my thoughts on anything Sens related and business related. I keep in contact with anything important business/company related that my partner might not be familiar with, but overall I have all the faith in the world in him. Then, I have planned a private tour at the Ferrari factory in Maranello to meet the fellow who built my car. So, since you have probably noticed as you seem to have scrutinized my posts, this is the reason why I have been posting in the wee hours of the night, hence the time difference.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

Melnyk WAS the knight in shining armour when he first came in. Heck, he even brought the Eagles to town for a free concert for the STH. We were a cap team for years. We brought in high priced free agents like Kovalev and Gonchar. As a result, we had one of the highest attendances in the league.

It's absolutely in the financial interest of a potential new owner to make a big splash at the beginning to renew hope for the fanbase. It will start by locking up Karlsson, Stone and Duchene.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Great observation. I have a load of time on my hands as I am vacationing for a month with my young family in southern Italy. Incredible place. Very relaxing and lots of time to gather my thoughts on anything Sens related and business related. I keep in contact with anything important business/company related that my partner might not be familiar with, but overall I have all the faith in the world in him. Then, I have planned a private tour at the Ferrari factory in Maranello to meet the fellow who built my car. So, since you have probably noticed as you seem to have scrutinized my posts, this is the reason why I have been posting in the wee hours of the night, hence the time difference.
Omg this is gold

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
jeez instead of roasting the guy why not stay on topic and actually discuss the future of the team and lebreton :help:

There is much wrong with this team not just an ownership change

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

This is hilarious, a guy who pretends to be so rich he organizes private tours of Ferrari factories but has nowhere else to be at 4:00am on a vacation but here on HFboards pretneding he's the secret king of the Ottawa Senators - shouldn't you be rubbing shoulders with some Italian count or paying someone to compliment your tan instead of wasting your time on an internet chat board.

I can tell you one thing, you have no idea how to vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad