Speculation: Sens, Lebreton, and the NCC part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Didn’t the Rough Riders try that?

I don't think so, not that I remember. But communities could buy and maintain their local teams and facilities - if it works in the most captialist sports league in the world it can work anywhere.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
I don't think so, not that I remember. But communities could buy and maintain their local teams and facilities - if it works in the most captialist sports league in the world it can work anywhere.

The Saskatchewan Roughriders sold a limited amount of public shares, per Saskatchewan Roughriders - Wikipedia.

The Roughriders are one of only a few publicly owned professional sports companies in North America, complete with a board of directors. The Roughriders' public ownership model is similar to the Green Bay Packers where a limited number of shares have been sold to the public. It is not possible to resell these shares, no dividend payment is possible and no person may hold more than 20 voting shares. A recent public offering of Rider Shares—Series 1—commenced in 2004 at an offering price of $250 per share[70] In 2006 the Ottawa Sun reported that the Roughriders had sold around 3,000 at $250 each.[71] The Series 1 offering closed in 2008 after all 6,000 shares were sold. A second public offering, Series 2, was launched in 2010 in honour of the team's 100th anniversary.[72] As of 2016 the Roughriders have released and subsequently sold out 1,989 shares of Series III at $250 each. this Series "commemorates the 1989 Grey Cup championship victory" and "features the likenesses of Kent Austin, Bobby Jurasin and Don Narcisse with an illustration of the championship winning kick in the background."[73]

I thought I remembered that Ottawa Rough Riders had explored public ownership, but it fell through. The internet is letting me down. My memory, of course, is infallible.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I'd say the latter is a much stronger possibility. If an ownership change is coming up you'd think they'd make sure the core is signed long term, no?
Players won't sign until ownership change is official. Players are more likely to give a break to new ownership and stick it to Melnyk.

New ownership not able to negotiate with players until official and wouldn't want Dorion negotiating on their behalf.

Zero chance the deals get done until the change over.

Reactions: TheNewEra

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
I'd say the latter is a much stronger possibility. If an ownership change is coming up you'd think they'd make sure the core is signed long term, no?

I think it is more likely that new ownership said you don't trade any of the big 3 in particular karlsson

You trade stone or duchene franchise value drops a little, you trade karlsson franchise value drops at least 50 million

Now this is where sensungs post from above comes in

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
Skim down to the post by PuempelsPurpose. Intriguing information, though inscrutable.

If the source is accurate, that would seem to confirm Melnyk is bringing in outside help rather than a full fledged sale. Which would obviously add another twist to the ongoing Karlsson saga.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
If the source is accurate, that would seem to confirm Melnyk is bringing in outside help rather than a full fledged sale. Which would obviously add another twist to the ongoing Karlsson saga.

as someone who would have to invest $200 million USD minimum to be pat of the franchise would you want Melnyck sticking around to soil your investment or call you an idiot to the press.

I cant see anyone signing on to be a partner with Melnyck - he's not stable and hasn't shown a shrewd business mind for the NHL product. Generally if your customers have signs up asking you to leave that's not a good starting point to make business partners.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Is this your interpretation of this post?:

I was speaking to a lawyer who I know does work for Melnyk, and I asked him about the rumors.
He said: "Melnyk has no interest in selling the team"
Has there been an offer for the team?
"We really can't discuss that."
Is John Ruddy involved?
"I couldn't tell you."
Okay, okay. Let's just talk hockey. Is Karlsson coming back?
"No clue, but I'd guess yes."
Do you think Karlsson relationship with Melnyk is reparable?
He smiles ever so slightly.
"Nope."

Or are you basing it on something else?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa

I was speaking to a lawyer who I know does work for Melnyk, and I asked him about the rumors.
Is John Ruddy involved?
"I couldn't tell you."
"Nope."

That quote, especially the Karlsson part, gives one a reason to be cautiously optimistic.

But the missing context is that they were at a restaurant, waiting for the bill, and Erik had left to visit the bathroom.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax

Your daily dose of hope

Honestly, not sure I see a ton of hope there. I do acquisitions on a regular basis and we would never advise our clients to cease normal operations prior to sale. We wouldn't expect any major business process changes if a transition was imminent so maybe that's what would be occurring in this case but the comment "all deals are on hold" lends more support to cost cutting or costs audit than ownership change. On rare occasions the purchaser may make a request to put a temporary hold on new contracts & agreements but I've only ever seen that AFTER the purchase and sale has been signed but prior to closing. It's possible an ownership change is in that stage but it's usually public by then.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
not if the money isn't there to pay lockout bonuses

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
You actually think the Greenbergs have a good reputation?

You actually think that Shenkman, Ruddy and Greenberg are “crooked as they come...a dishonest and disgusting group” ?

Instead of you putting words in my mouth,why don’t we deal with the idiocy of what was said by ‘the insider’ lol
“crooked as they come...a dishonest and disgusting group”
The best part is him squaring the circle that those guys are disgusting criminals but his superhero is the Euge

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Is John Ruddy involved?
"I couldn't tell you."
"Nope."

Pretty much, more of a gut feeling based on the "not interested in selling but also no comment on offers that may or may not have occured" vibe.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Sounds like an internal audit to look for efficiencies or maybe even a cash-flow issue. I cannot see a prospective bidder trying to buy the team and dictating how to run the organization even before a deal is struck. That makes no sense.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Pretty much, more of a gut feeling based on the "not interested in selling but also no comment on offers that may or may not have occured" vibe.
Interesting.

I think the implication is that Karlsson will re-sign because Melnyk is gone.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
You actually think that Shenkman, Ruddy and Greenberg are “crooked as they come...a dishonest and disgusting group” ?

Instead of you putting words in my mouth,why don’t we deal with the idiocy of what was said by ‘the insider’ lol
“crooked as they come...a dishonest and disgusting group”
The best part is him squaring the circle that those guys are disgusting criminals but his superhero is the Euge

You didn' t answer my question, regardless of what @mysens said. Maybe he exaggerated , or has 1st hand knowledge.

What makes you think that the Greenbergs have a good reputation in the business world? Do you think that any of those individuals are much different than Melnyk? These people are all cut from the same cloth, whether you would like to admit it or not.

Last edited:

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
We aren't asking for Mother Teresa to come in and buy the team, we are simply asking for an owner to invest in the franchise somewhat, don't embarrass or insult the fans, and try to retain the franchise players. We know majority of these rumored parties have done shady shit in their private businesses, we know they aren't some type of NGO or something. And we have no way of comparing owners as we have had the same owner the past 15 years. So I don't know why the hell you and mysens get all bent out of shape when people are defending a potential new owner. We have no basis on whether they will be better or not, we just know that we can't stand the current owner and we need a change, whether the change will be good or even worse, we don't know because we aren't Nostradamus.

Last edited:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
We aren't asking for Mother Teresa to come in and buy the team, we are simply asking for an owner to invest in the franchise somewhat, don't embarrass or insult the fans, and try to retain the franchise players. We know majority of these rumored parties have done shady **** in their private businesses, we know they aren't some type of NGO or something. And we have no way of comparing owners as we have had the same owner the past 15 years. So I don't why the hell you and mysens get all bent out of shape when people are defending a potential new owner. We have no basis on whether they will be better or not, we just know that we can't stand the current owner and we need a change, whether the change will be good or even worse, we don't know because we aren't Nostradamus.

First of all, the Greenbergs are not potential new owners. Let's get that out of the way. They are losing millions on a rinky dink operation like the RedBlacks, and they are aggressive in selling their assets right now because, guess what Sens and RedBlack fans, they also don't like to lose money.

The rumoured potential partners , AKAIK, have a pretty squeaky clean reputation, aside from the typical pissed off customers that are in every business. Where did I or @mysens say anything about the new owners?

I just find it "humorous" all the flack that Melnyk gets whereas is he pulled off anything similar to what OSEG did it would be the biggest story of the year. And, let me also remind @Wondercarrot, as you are famous to do to blame the owner for all issues Sens related, that whether OSEG or Pomerleau or however everyone wants to spin that debacle, the responsibility ALSO ends up being the owner. You can't have it both ways on HF, or can you?

Hypocrisy and duplicity also reeks in this board

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
You didn' t answer my question, regardless of what @mysens said. Maybe he exaggerated , or has 1st hand knowledge.

What makes you think that the Greenbergs have a good reputation in the business world? Do you think that any of those individuals are much different than Melnyk? These people are all cut from the same cloth, whether you would like to admit it or not.

I have no idea how they are in the community, what their reputations are and how they run their current businesses. Just as I don't know (or care) how Melnyk runs his other businesses.

In regards to how they would run the Ottawa Senators though, absolutely, yeah. No one is buying this team (for $400+ million) to run a bare bones operation as Melnyk has done for a few years now. As long as new ownership comes in and invests in the team and doesn't blatantly insult the fan base I think a large majority of Senators fans will be happy.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side, but when you're currently living in a swamp the odds are a heck of a lot better.

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Stupidity and trolling also reeks in this board. Congratulations.

Go blame the state of the team on the fans somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad