Post-Game Talk: Sens/Isles PGT - "Holy Gonchar, Batman!" Edition

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
To those asking if Zbad high sticked the puck just before the goal. I reviewed the play and the answer is yes. However: The rule reads

What some may not have seen is that Visnovsky #11 for the NYI swiped at and touched the puck before losing it in a stick on stick fight with Silfv and then Zbad picked it up and the play continues. The ref didn't do a washout sign but you can see him point towards the players he looks like he yelled something. It was close between Silfv and Visnovsky but the ref and linesman both had a clear view of the play and obviously ruled that Visnovsky touched the puck first.

No, Silfv touched it first. It just happened so fast/the refs were at bad angles such that the refs assumed Visnovsky touched it.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
So when are we allowed to start saying the Sens might actually be Cup contenders? This team just KEEPS WINNING. They are 6th in the league, and before the playoffs will be adding a top 10 centre, a legit 1st line winger, and arguably the best goalie in the league. How many other top 10 teams in the NHL have that to look forward to?

Imagine if this team had Karlsson? Hell, at this rate we should be favourites next year.

As soon as they can beat Boston

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
No, Silfv touched it first. It just happened so fast/the refs were at bad angles such that the refs assumed Visnovsky touched it.

does the rule not say possession? It is like during a penalty call. The offending team can touch the puck, so long as they do not possess it.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Senatrolls again.

Nice to see the team bail out the goalie for once, as opposed to the other way around.

I might feel sympathy for the Isles if they hadn't had such a massive PP advantage.

In any event, Ottawa hangs around...hangs around...hangs around, and wins.

Nice to do it in regulation too.

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
tumblr_mjxtfdB6ep1rsnoqso1_400.gif

by Kevin Lee

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I have a hard time feeling bad about the high stick. It was close to begin with and it was just one of many battles the Isles lost on that shift that resulted in a goal. Plenty of opportunity to make amends but they didn't. We lost Erik Freakin' Karlsson to because an official missed the puck hit the mesh behind the net so no sympathy here.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Zibby knocked it and Silfv actually beat Visnovsky to the puck by a fraction of a second. The Isles cams slowed it down and it was pretty clear.

I feel for the NYI fans though. Calls might've gone their way but the amount of ass ****ing they got from that "distinct" kicking motion and no call on the high stick literally lost the game for them.

I rewatched that moment 10 times on GCL and I'm fairly certain Visnovsky hit it first and it bounced off Silf's stick.
Ref was standing 10 feet from there and he was about to blow the play down (he raised his arm with the whistle) and once he saw who hit it first he put it away.

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

Are you an expert :)

From what angle could you tell that. The TV showed it from the rear behind Silfv while he was stretching out to try and touch it and the down low ref had a clear view. The lineman was right on top of the play too. Did they show a better angle anywhere else? I didn't see it and only went by the refs reaction.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Like I was saying last year and the year before people continue to underestimate this team.

With a healthy Spezza, Karlsson, Cowen and Michalek this team is maybe one piece away from being a legimiate cup contender if they aren't already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad