Post-Game Talk: SENS in Carolina, Wednesday night 7PM

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Just an FYI folks...

We are below .500 now.

Changes will be made.

(Only 50% of teams lose their season opener.)
This would be funny if we weren't below .500 for the last 4 years with the same coach.

Also there is the fact that DJ Smith coaches a sloooww start every year.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I thought there were a lot of positives last night, and some things that were way better than last year. Carolina probably has the best D in the league, great forecheck, and deep forward group at home on opening night. Losing this game was not a death knell.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Reading some of these posts, you'd think the Sens didn't even show up last night.

They were the better team in the 1st. The Canes outplayed us in the 2nd. I only saw bits of the 3rd but it was tied 3-3 going into the final period,... against one of the top teams in the league.

Korpisalo had one bad goal. He was pretty good the rest of the game. Batherson should've had 3.

I think this loss is good for the Sens. They were close last night with one of the best team in the league. This will make them even hungrier.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
Reading some of these posts, you'd think the Sens didn't even show up last night.

They were the better team in the 1st. The Canes outplayed us in the 2nd. I only saw bits of the 3rd but it was tied 3-3 going into the final period,... against one of the top teams in the league.

Korpisalo had one bad goal. He was pretty good the rest of the game. Batherson should've had 3.

I think this loss is good for the Sens. They were close last night with one of the best team in the league. This will make them even hungrier.
Losing is good. :eyeroll:

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
Those lines last night were something else. Spreading it around isn't gonna work. Other team just has to key on 7-18-28.
Gotta stack at least 2 lines somehow. Tarasenko needs to wake up or get a pulse. Also agree that Chych-Chabot doesn't work. Give Chabby a solid RD in Zub to cover for him. Chych and Sandy could be electric

yogibear

Mar 21, 2007
Ottawa/Gatineau
TBH, the Sens never do really well against the Canes, especially in their barn. I wasn’t expecting a win. This season opener match up didn’t make any sense. who cares about the Canes? Bring division rivals !!!

caymanmew

May 18, 2014
Ottawa
Some posters clearly thought we were going 82-0 this year...

We lost to a top team, which was expected, but showed some good stuff at times. We had some breakdowns but that is normal for the start of the season, everyone has those problems. against a weaker team, we win last night.

I am not a fan of the Chabot, Chyrun pair, I think splitting them will create 2 more balanced pairs as Chabot and Chyrun are both a bit more offensive while Sanderson and Zub are more defensive. Although I understand we were chasing the game, I wasn't a big fan of how the ice time was distributed for the defensemen. You can't run the third pair at 10 minutes a night all year if you want to be successful. Let's see how that is handled over the next few games before we get concerned.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Those lines last night were something else. Spreading it around isn't gonna work. Other team just has to key on 7-18-28.
Gotta stack at least 2 lines somehow. Tarasenko needs to wake up or get a pulse. Also agree that Chych-Chabot doesn't work. Give Chabby a solid RD in Zub to cover for him. Chych and Sandy could be electric
Well, against a deep team like Carolina that roles it's lines, loading up means other lines getting exposed.

The reality is we scored 3 goals, scoring wasn't the problem, the problem was lapses in our attention to detail and a couple bad goals.

Guys like Tarasenko and Kubalik tend to thrive on taking advantage of openings either created by their linemates, by pressuring on the rush or forcheck, or given up by the opposition, Carolina doesn't give many of those and deals well with pressure, and all due respect to Chartier, he's not creating them. I didn't get that line specifically but we're down two centers so somethings got to give, and Carolina gets credit for really tightening up in the last two periods.

I'm not ready to make big changes after 1 game that just so happened to be against what's probably a top 3 team in the league. The only change I really want to see is getting Norris and/or Pinto into the lineup.

We weren't going to win 82 games, there's definitely things to clean up after that one, but there were things to build off of as well. Sky isn't falling just yet.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I think if Andersen hadn't been as good as he was in the 1st, the outcome is likely different. The Sens looked fantastic, then the dreaded 2nd, then the 3rd.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I didn't think Tarasenko was bad. He was heavy when he had the puck, got it to the net a few times and played physical defensively.

If people are expecting the Tank from 5 years ago, you will be crying all season. He needs some support to get him the puck in dangerous areas but he will score when given the chances.

Reactions: DrEasy

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Tarasenko is washed out and done. Chabot should have been traded along time ago. Need a new coach like two seasons ago. Can not prepare teams for the regular season. Need a new GM, a lot of crucial mistakes. The core lineup skipping a last game with Montreal was bad decision.
1697126875921.gif

• Haha
Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Cskavars

May 25, 2018
If you watched any of the last 160 Blues games you’d know Tarasenko is done.

Like the radio said today - wish the Sens management didn’t eveluate talent based off of tape from 2016
this seems a bit like an exaggeration, Tarasenko was scoring at a 0.98 PPG rate in his last 113 games with the blues

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
I agree with those who say that we played against one of the best teams in the league, hence losing not being a big issue, especially on the road and only by two goals.

But for me, losing wasn't the problem; but the lack of collective defensive progress compared to last season and the inability to turn off individual mistakes were.
There is a difference between losing because the opposite team is better and losing because of a lack of collective or individual skill.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I agree with those who say that we played against one of the best teams in the league, hence losing not being a big issue, especially on the road and only by two goals.

But for me, losing wasn't the problem; but the lack of collective defensive progress compared to last season and the inability to turn off individual mistakes were.
There is a difference between losing because the opposite team is better and losing because of a lack of collective or individual skill.
People like to say it was game one. But it was like…game 300 of the same defensive play

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
People like to say it was game one. But it was like…game 300 of the same defensive play
More like game 3 of this D-core playing against NHL teams this year, which included a 7 period shutout streak where the team was very solid and structured defensively.

• Haha
Reactions: OD99

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
Seems like half way through the game the team starts running around and looses its structure. Maybe that’s just a mark of a young team, but it has to be fixed.

That's also what happens when you're trailing. Carolina is very tough to score against and once you're down, you need to take chances.

Looks great when you score, looks unstructured when you don't

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
That first line still had a lot of opportunities . It doesn't matter who the Stutzle line faces. But hat first line played like shit. Cheated. Half assed their assignments. If your best players aren't your best players, then this team will have a wonderful 82 point season

Reactions: swiftwin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad