Post-Game Talk: SENS in Carolina, Wednesday night 7PM

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Biggest issue I saw last night was dumb decisions in the 2nd period. Guys need to be more aware of getting pucks in deep and changing or at least making the safe play at the offensive blue line.

Reactions: Alex1234

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Rough go, missing some bodies and against a top team in the league.

Team defense is troubling once again, 42 shots against is unacceptable

Losing Joseph will hurt them team, he's the best PK and energy guy they have.

Brannstrom is a good safety blanket, losing him would hurt as well, but 10 minutes as a D is worthless ATM.

Taraasenko, funny enough, is the one player the Sens don't really need. Kubalik offers more than enough as the 6th option offensively in the top 6.

He's a pure luxury item, that the Sens can't really afford this season.

Last edited:

c_mak

Jan 15, 2004
Waterloo
What is DJ's record on the road? He loses almost all of the line up match ups. It's pretty bad
Ridley Grieg is good but he is not ready for second line centre duties at the NHL level.
Rourke Chartier is not good. NOT GOOD!
This looks like a good team that is badly coached.
Batherson looked good
Joseph looked good
Stuzle tried to do too much

DJ is over his head.

Reactions: LiseL

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Rough go, missing some bodies and against a top team in the league.

Team defense is troubling once again, 42 shots against is unacceptable

Losing Joseph will hurt them team, he's the best PK and energy guy they have.

Brannstrom is a good safety blanket, losing him would hurt as well, but 10 minutes as a D is worthless ATM.

Taraasenko, funny enough, is the one player the Sens don't really need. Kubalik offers more than enough as the 6th option offensively in the top 6.

He's a pure luxury item, that the Sens can't really afford this season.
Tarasenko has looked lethargic and not very engaged so far. People will point out its just game 1 and the exhibition season which is fair, but it would be very helpful if he picks up his game pretty quickly as another slow start would be bad.

Reactions: SensFactor

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Yeah he does watch more hockey. Chiasson used to go offside 5 times a game. Kubalik gets open, strong at give and goes. Good complimentary player for skill guys that drive the play. He played on a line with Chartier ine ONE GAME.

I find it so interesting that so many posters put so much stock into one game. Mathieu Joseph was Ottawas best player last night. Do you expect that for the full season? This is a player they literally can't get rid of. Some guys had good games some had bad. Its not going to be like that every game. 81 more take a deep breath.

Side note Joseph's performance was unbelievable. If he brings that consistent effort and ability to win pucks and races he's a very valuable player.

Chiasson had one move, stand next to the goalpost on the PP and be a big body on the PP - got him onto McDavids line but literally the only thing he was good at

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Korpisalo played like he can't wait to get injured so he can sit in the press box for the rest of the season (which happens almost every season for this guy).

Korpisalo has never played more than 37 games in a season and his average number of games played per season is in the 20s. There are 82 games and we can only count on Korpisalo for about 25.

Forsberg will start almost all of the games and if he gets hurt again we are done for the season, forget about the playoffs.

I just hope DJ Smith is given the tightest leash possible. The guy is a joke. Firing him would be a huge step forward. How many years in a row do we have to come out of the gate looking as lethargic as a sloth?

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Tarasenko has looked lethargic and not very engaged so far. People will point out its just game 1 and the exhibition season which is fair, but it would be very helpful if he picks up his game pretty quickly as another slow start would be bad.

If you watched any of the last 160 Blues games you’d know Tarasenko is done.

Like the radio said today - wish the Sens management didn’t eveluate talent based off of tape from 2016

Reactions: Norris4Norris

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Boy did the vibes ever change in a few hours.
Understandable. Team was a mess most of the game.
Management and coaching are the problem here. Should be quite clear. 5 games then make some big changes. Let’s go Staios.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I saw some encouraging things and I choose to remain optimistic. Defensive structure was, at times, better than last year. We really struggled to maintain it after bad turnovers though and unfortunately guys like Chychrun, Chabot and Stutzle had bad turnovers that led to goals against. Chrychrun's was at a really poor time too late in the period. But that happens from time to time and I trust them to clean that up a bit.

Korpisalo was great for 2. then very poor in the 3rd. Hopefully we see more of the early game performance moving forward because he looked good until that putrid 4th goal. 5th goal wasn't great either tbh.

Norris coming back will be a huge help. I didn't mind Greig and Chartier as fill ins. Greig seemed to flash offensively and Chartier was solid defensively. But clearly, neither are Norris and we really need a #2 C. Either of those two filling in for #3C would be fine for a bit imo.

Smith needs to play Tarasenko with guys that can skate and distribute. He's slow as heck. But still a lethal shooter. Wish we'd seen more of him beside Stu in preseason (yes, I know that top line is great and risky to separate them). Stu creates so much space for others with that speed.

PP was shit but only one game and we have to expect that will get better.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
[snip]

The PP deployments were very different from preseason. They seemed much more creative in preseason. (I know, preseason vs incomplete rosters compared to an aggressive Canes PK.) I wonder why DJ changed it up.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I saw some encouraging things and I choose to remain optimistic. Defensive structure was, at times, better than last year. We really struggled to maintain it after bad turnovers though and unfortunately guys like Chychrun, Chabot and Stutzle had bad turnovers that led to goals against. Chrychrun's was at a really poor time too late in the period. But that happens from time to time and I trust them to clean that up a bit.

Korpisalo was great for 2. then very poor in the 3rd. Hopefully we see more of the early game performance moving forward because he looked good until that putrid 4th goal. 5th goal wasn't great either tbh.

Norris coming back will be a huge help. I didn't mind Greig and Chartier as fill ins. Greig seemed to flash offensively and Chartier was solid defensively. But clearly, neither are Norris and we really need a #2 C. Either of those two filling in for #3C would be fine for a bit imo.

Smith needs to play Tarasenko with guys that can skate and distribute. He's slow as heck. But still a lethal shooter. Wish we'd seen more of him beside Stu in preseason (yes, I know that top line is great and risky to separate them). Stu creates so much space for others with that speed.

I don’t think we can count on Norris. At least not this season

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Tough one, against a real tough team, not a whole lot to like, and our best player is likely getting traded

Never been a DJ fan but no way do I pin this loss on him. PD is such a clown, if I was Andlauer I would be fuming that I just spent nearly a billion dollars on a team that can't even ice a whole roster and doesn't have the space to sign their excellent young RHD centre.

With that said whenever PD just takes his lumps and trades MJ this team will start to rebound but also Korpi dont be afraid to use your blocker when the puck is going to that side.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Tough one, against a real tough team, not a whole lot to like, and our best player is likely getting traded

Never been a DJ fan but no way do I pin this loss on him. PD is such a clown, if I was Andlauer I would be fuming that I just spent nearly a billion dollars on a team that can't even ice a whole roster and doesn't have the space to sign their excellent young RHD centre.

With that said whenever PD just takes his lumps and trades MJ this team will start to rebound but also Korpi dont be afraid to use your blocker when the puck is going to that side.
I’m sorry. Who’s getting traded?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Some tough mistakes there.

Didn't like Sanderson's positioning on the PK for Bunting's goal.
Korpisalo's 4th and 5th GA were horrible and not the kind of shots that you should let in when your team just got back in the game.
PP is -1 for 4.

That's how thin the margin is against the really good teams. Oh well, I guess we'll see how this team responds in their home opener.

Reactions: Emrasie

LuckyPierre

Jul 1, 2010
Shame on management (Dorion) for tying our team's shoelaces together when we need an explosion out of the blocks.

Tough for DJ and the players when he has to put the forward lines in the blender all night. They hit a wall in the second half of the game, and had little cohesiveness and chemistry.

Korpisalo had strong Patrick Lalime energy last night. Solid for the vast majority of the game, and consecutive short side misplays when the game was on the line.

Haven't liked what I've seen from Chabot - Chychrun as a pair. They both want the green light. Didn't care for that duo in the preseason either, and I don't see them lasting.

Good sign that in spite of a poor game, Stutzle still finds the back of the net. Batherson looked OK as well, had some jump. Needs linemates.

Reactions: Dionysus and DrEasy

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
Some tough mistakes there.

Didn't like Sanderson's positioning on the PK for Bunting's goal.
Korpisalo's 4th and 5th GA were horrible and not the kind of shots that you should let in when your team just got back in the game.
PP is -1 for 4.

That's how thin the margin is against the really good teams. Oh well, I guess we'll see how this team responds in their home opener.
Bunting goal was forwards not adjusting. Kelly was in no man’s land covering nobody.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad