Are you more intense a fan these playoffs?

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I started seriously watching around 2007 when we played Dallas in the playoffs of the first round. I have experienced the Chicago era in full, then the pain of being shitty post final. With a blip with Desjardin being an idiot and the covid bubble. So I lack the experience and context of multiple playoff runs like most fans.

I am wondering how this run is ranking for some of the more veteran fans. I was talking with my Dad the combination of being shitty for so long into what seems like a somewhat cinderella run so far. I am finding way more hype than 2009-2011 where it was expected we would win.

Do the expectations of the season directly impact how much hype and excitement youre feeling.

I feel like this season is way more intense. And there could be a recency bias but the heart and gritty play of this team is hard not to go primal over.

crazychimp

Jun 24, 2014
Vancouver
I was too young to remember the west coast express days, but I do remember Cloutier shitting the bed a lot in those playoff games the defense wasn’t the best either so no expectations there.

I feel like between 2007-2012 there were a lot of expectations with that group of players with that Luongo acquisition and with the twins being mvp’s in back to back seasons. In 2011 you just felt that team was destined to win it all especially after they lost that game to Chicago earlier in the regular season they turned it into another gear after that. Mike Gillis going all in at the deadline as well and basically selling the farm in that year and year prior. My palms would be literally sweating watching those games in 2011.

With this group it doesn’t feel as intense for me, I think it’s because they only have had that bubble appearance in the post season not much expectation was put on this group I did think they could get to a wild card spot or possibly the lowest seed in the pacific I did not expect them to take #1. So for that reason the palms are less sweaty and I feel like I’m enjoying the games more. Tocchet also has that calmness about him as well if they lose he knows what to say and how to handle the media where as other coaches maybe say a little too much.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I try to be far less analytical and just enjoy the ride in the playoffs.

I dont know if this quite answers your question.

But thinking about the long term does not make sense during the playoffs to me.
Just win the next game.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Is the question "are you more intense in the playoffs than the regular season"?

Because that's a resounding yes. I had trained myself hard over years of fatherhood not to scream so much when the Canucks scored. But that all goes out the window during the playoffs. My poor wife had to yell "THAT'S ENOUGH" down the stairs to quiet the screaming of me and my sons when Miller scored in Game 5. :laugh:

Playoffs are always a different kind of monster than the regular season. There's nothing like it. I'm a ride or die that watches every pre-season, regular season game, whatever, even if we suck - so the playoffs are just bliss when they finally come. This year was a lot of fun.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
I've actually mellowed quite a bit over the years. 30 years ago I would have been devastated after a loss like last night. Now I am just kinda thankful that the team made the city proud this year. That said, I lost my voice after watching game 2 in person!

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Yes. We have finally arrived after a decade of some dark times during the Benning regime. Finally proud of this team and organization, great season to build upon. Was awesome to get pumped up as a fan during these playoffs, what a feeling!

Last edited:

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Feels good to go from a bubble playoff team on the rise to a legitimate Cup Contender. For the 1st time in a long time we’re going into an offseason where we’re trying to round out our roster for a Stanley Cup push (as Miller’s going to be 32), it’s exciting!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad