Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Flyers - Nov 19, 2013

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
On another note, Cowen is still a bag of mud.

He was so soft on the puck. A lot of the Sens were actually.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Find a winger and/or fix the blueline. I think the only way to do that without making another massive hold is to trade Anderson.

Need more budget to get a real player.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Also I don't get the people crying over the fact that we don't have our first. Is another prospect really what we need? We're not even lottery 5, so the player wouldn't be a complete game changer anyways. Even if he was, we don't need another kid on our team. We need veterans. Established teams like Boston and Chicago have lots more veterans than we do and those are the players that keep the balance of the team intact and tonight was an example of everyone letting go after tying the game up for Christ's sakes.

TMLer

I was saying boo-urns
Feb 11, 2013
Ottawa
Just posting that flyers fans are impossible. Right up there with Vancouver. Carry on.

booger

Oct 5, 2009
Oakville
Look, this is a young team. These kinds of huge momentum shifts re going to happen in the game for them.

The real problem is how much we overachieved last year. If it was an 82 games season playing the entire league instead of just the eastern fodder, we would've missed the playoffs by a mile.

Expectations are just too high right now.

This is the pivotal 'fallback' season. The team will take a step back compared to last year. If we panic and destroy our foundation now, we have no chance of competing for a championship in the next few years. We have to take our lumps and keep developing and working through it.

This ^^^. Completely agree. Unfortunately the Sens fanbase for the most part seems to be incapable of sticking with the team through thick and thin and it's showing with the attendance numbers. Hopefully when this team does become true contentders in 2 to 3 years time (with or without our current core), it'll still be in Ottawa.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
We were a puck possession team.

It's coaching, not a 20 man collective regression of puck handling and passing ability that is the reason we aren't playing a puck possession system again.

MacLean can blame the players for their lack of work ethic, but the system he's put in place just ain't working.

I'm starting to take this thinking seriously. The Detroit strategy works with a team of mostly vets but not with this mixed bunch. They need to play team defense 1st with some good counter punching. They have to adopt a bit of the Lemaire or Jacques Martin style for a year or 2 until they mature as a team.

Berserker*

Which is easier? Stripping the C off Spezza, or just trading him off the team?

You would have to trade him. There would be way too much locker room controversy if he was stripped of his captaincy but was still part of this team.

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Bang on Hale. Last year featured a number of guys that started the year in Bingo - Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Weircoch, Benoit, Gryba. And whether they started the year in Bingo and moved to Ottawa after the lock-out, or were an injury call-up, the common denominator is Luke Richardson. It was what these guys brought from Bingo that made the Sens "pesky", not anything being coached in Ottawa. Richardson needs to be with the big club and Reeds and Cameron need to go.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Also I don't get the people crying over the fact that we don't have our first. Is another prospect really what we need? We're not even lottery 5, so the player wouldn't be a complete game changer anyways. Even if he was, we don't need another kid on our team. We need veterans. Established teams like Boston and Chicago have lots more veterans than we do and those are the players that keep the balance of the team intact and tonight was an example of everyone letting go after tying the game up for Christ's sakes.

It still helps. Doesn't always happen, but you can pick elite talent outside the top 5. We picked Karlsson at #15 by trading up from #17. For many fans, myself included, knowing that if we're gonna suck, we at least have something to look forward to helps.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
People do realize if they want to trade Spezza he has a no trade clause right? That means Spezza calls the shots and Ottawa alienates their current captain while probably getting a limited return from one of the few teams Spezza is willing to go to. Sounds like a great plan for a team on a budget.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

I'd agree fully if Ryan was signed long term. Not really too worried yet, but it would be incredibly ****** if he walks and we give up a high pick and Silfverberg.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
It still helps. Doesn't always happen, but you can pick elite talent outside the top 5. We picked Karlsson at #15 by trading up from #17. For many fans, myself included, knowing that if we're gonna suck, we at least have something to look forward to helps.

Who says that murray will not trade for a 1st if the team continues sucking? It is still possible.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The sens overachieved last year but thats because they missed their supposed to be best players in karlsson, spezza,michalek and even anderson,now that they got them back, logic says they should improve. They also traded for a goal scorer in Bobby Ryan. Nobody expected the sens to be a stanley cup contender but they also shouldnt be playing this bad. The expectations was for the team to contend for the playoffs, right now they look like a team contending with edmonton for the first pick overall.

....but, it was a shortned season, and only against eastern teams. People forget that.

If we had to go 82 games without the 1C, 1G and 1D, we would've had a Monahan or a Jones on the roster right now.

We got just about every lucky bounce a team could get (and favorable reffing) after the big 3 went down.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
We're not at the stage where we need prospects anymore. That was year 1 and 2 of the rebuild. The cupboards are full and we're still looking forward to guys like Stone, Prince, Puempel, Lazar, Ceci, Wikstrand, etc. We need established players, that's why Murray got Ryan and Mac who have 300+ games of NHL experience. That's what we need more of, even older. We need some guys around Spezza's age. One at D, one at F. Would do wonders. Veterans are so underrated, and for one of the youngest teams in the league and one that goes through so many ups and downs, another stabilizing presence or two can really help.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
This Spezza needs wingers thing is a bunch of .... We have tried everyone on the team including Ryan, when are people going to get their heads out of the a..... And see maybe the problem is with Spezza ? And again I ask what's wrong with him ? IS he hurting ? Is he not happy here anymore ? Conacher put up big points with Stamkos and Lacavalier, have you seen Spezza get him the puck once ? Spezza is a guy who made Greening a twenty goal scorer and he couldn't get one playing with Spezza on multiple occasions this year. I really think there is something wrong with him, he's playing with very little speed and drive this year. He is a GREAT player but he is not playing like one right now.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Just posting that flyers fans are impossible. Right up there with Vancouver. Carry on.

4fb2366306ce2.png

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
Can't hurt to have a guy (Pageau) who can fly and gives 100% effort every time on the ice.

I think it's gonna take more than a third or fourth liner who can fly to turn this rotten ship around. And I doubt it's as simple as a lack of effort.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
We're not at the stage where we need prospects anymore. That was year 1 and 2 of the rebuild. The cupboards are full and we're still looking forward to guys like Stone, Prince, Puempel, Lazar, Ceci, Wikstrand, etc. We need established players, that's why Murray got Ryan and Mac who have 300+ games of NHL experience. That's what we need more of, even older. We need some guys around Spezza's age. One at D, one at F. Would do wonders. Veterans are so underrated, and for one of the youngest teams in the league and one that goes through so many ups and downs, another stabilizing presence or two can really help.

Ottawa's rebuild never really got started. They sold off assets during the 2010/2011 and failed to gain the elite talent they needed because they chose to play Anderson in the majority of the final games. The next season Ottawa found a way to make it into the playoffs and had the fifteenth overall selection.

Last year Ottawa has another shot at getting elite talent with the built in excuse of losing all of their star players and instead makes it to the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs. Now after defying expectations for two straight years a move is made to help this team contend and they are falling a part.

I agree Ottawa doesn't need any more prospects. What they need are impact players to replace guys like Phillips, Spezza, and Michalek. Murray has done a solid job getting guys like Turris and Ryan in addition to drafting two quality prospects in Ceci and Lazar, but you can't really call it a rebuild if the team never even bottoms out. Don't get me wrong I love that I've got to watch playoff hockey the past two seasons. I just don't understand why people have this mentality that Ottawa is done with prospects when they really don't have any game changing forwards in the system.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
I agree Ottawa doesn't need any more prospects. What they need are impact players to replace guys like Phillips, Spezza, and Michalek. Murray has done a solid job getting guys like Turris and Ryan in addition to drafting two quality prospects in Ceci and Lazar, but you can't really call it a rebuild if the team never even bottoms out. Don't get me wrong I love that I've got to watch playoff hockey the past two seasons. I just don't understand why people have this mentality that Ottawa is done with prospects when they really don't have any game changing forwards in the system.

Agreed, Ottawa doesn't need more prospects, because it takes time to develop those prospects, just look at Edmonton. But instead we need impact defensemen now. Get rid of Phillips, Gryba and Cowen, and bring in some veteran blue-line leadership, someone you can put a C on their jersey. Spezza is not captain material, at least not right now.

Mercurial

#lalala
Oct 29, 2009
EK played the most SH minutes on the team tonight. Rest of the D is just putrid. Cowen better have splinters in his ass tomorrow from riding the pine.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
You would have to trade him. There would be way too much locker room controversy if he was stripped of his captaincy but was still part of this team.

Hmmm. Since Spezza has no-trade clause, maybe losing the C is easiest option.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Agreed, Ottawa doesn't need more prospects, because it takes time to develop those prospects, just look at Edmonton. But instead we need impact defensemen now. Get rid of Phillips, Gryba and Cowen, and bring in some veteran blue-line leadership, someone you can put a C on their jersey. Spezza is not captain material, at least not right now.

Unless you have totally given up on sophomore prospects you don't get rid of Cowen, Wiercioch and Gryba (and next year Borocop) you slot them correctly by playing them 5-6-7 or even 8 until they are ready to take on a more meaningful role. That's why you need your top 4-5 to be good enough to carry the D and take up the most minutes while the others are brought along slowly in a rotation. Our top 4-5 isn't good enough or experienced enough to carry the load. Individually Gryba, Wiercioch and Cowen might be able to play limited 5-6 but most games one or two are asked to shoulder top 4 minutes and they are not ready.

In a way the NHL is to blame for accepting that players lose their waiver exemption so quickly. Most of our young players would do well with a year or 2 more seasoning in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad