Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Flyers - Nov 19, 2013

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Two of those high picks, Spezza and Michalek, are both injury riddled and no longer seem to be playing at an "elite"level. Yeah Spezza is still near a point-per-game pace but can anyone really say it looks like he is controlling games this year? Phillips is thirty-six years old and no longer counts as a high pick that should be contributing to a team's success. In fact all three of those players are part the old "Ottawa Senators" and can't really be seen as part of the "rebuild".

Zibanejad is a clear example of why the rebuild wasn't actually a rebuild. Don't get me wrong he is a decent player, but he is not a game changing talent, and doesn't look like he is trending in that direction. Think of how much more of a difference a guy like Landeskog would have made during the past two years. As a retooling team Zibanejad is a nice piece. He just isn't the type of player you add to your team to lead them offensively into the future. (See Kane, Toews, Malkin, Crosby, Stamkos, Tavares, Matt Duchene)

Unfortunately you stopped reading my post before getting to the point where I said Ottawa failed to suck enough to get the shot at picking up elite talent in the 1-3 area of the draft. Ottawa does not lack talent at the prospect level. They've got plenty of prospects with NHL potential. They just don't have a lot of potential top 3/6 talent at the prospect level and that is a clear need for the team right now.

Just tired of hearing of Ottawa's supposed "rebuild" when in all reality they had one crappy year where they didn't even pick in the top 5 before making the playoffs for two years straight. The team lacks game changing forwards and that is only going to become more obvious as guys like Michalek and Spezza regress due to age/injuries and Ryan possibly walks as a FA.

Excellent post, thanks for a level-headed answer, that makes for quality discussion and not just trash-party

Okay now I see more where you were getting at. I wasn't really "flaming out" your post but used that sentence to point out that high picks is not a problem... However, if we're talking about top-3 picks, it's a different thing. Those are where you can find most of the elite talent players...

Ours are Spezza, Turris and Ryan. But I think Karlsson and Lehner could fall into that category as well, remains to be seen in Lehner's case but I don't have a lot of doubts about it.

Problem is how can we get more of those (and do we need more?) Aren't those 5 enough? Only Ottawa get those players IMO is via trade... This franchise wouldn't survive being in a basement for a few years... Cuz you can't just "decide" to suck "just 1 year"... You know what I'm saying

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad