Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Flyers - Nov 19, 2013

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
for what? I think we have enough dead weight as is...

oh-no-she-didn-t-blehh-o.gif

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
Reeds and Cameron out, bring back Richardson. MacLean and staff not getting the message across, so time to shake it up.

ffayyca

Nov 6, 2010
I wish spezza would lose some of his skill for a bit more speed and hussle.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I thought it was an ok game by the Sens, despite the bad outcome.

- the Turris line was amazing! the other lines OTH... I'd at least swap Ziba and Neil just to give Ziba more minutes.

- I thought the goal was good, but that the video replay was indeed inconclusive insofar as showing that the puck crossed the line. It did show that it hit a skate that was behind the line, but that's not the same thing exactly.

- Gleason anyone?

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I was one that preferred Spezza to be captain over anyone else on the team, but he has been pathetic this season. He looks good in one game and looks like complete garbage for the next three. His game hasn't changed for the better at all.

I was with you, guy says all the right things but the effort isn't there. Mentally or physically. I really think this team needs a big shake up. He hasn't matured in his game at all.

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
Remember when many of us, myself included, thought we could compete for the division? lol

:laugh: yep, seemed like yesterday. Alfy made a wise decision for his career to get out. Atleast Detroit has a chance.

Will Murray make a big move now, and if so what?

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Ryan is the only steady A+ class forward we have. MacArthur and Turris deserve an A most nights. Smith gets a B and Spezza is about a C to a C- depending on the shift. It's a pretty drastic drop-off after that with the rest being worthy of no better than a D- to F rating ending with Michalek with a consistent F-. I don't know why Stache still speaks of Michalek as a top 5. Makes me question his judgement. The D corp are what they are.

harvey

Jun 5, 2006
Ottawa
Put spezza in the press box until whatever injury is making him an anchor on this team goes away.

chipsens

Post and in...
Jan 9, 2013
Which is easier? Stripping the C off Spezza, or just trading him off the team?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Turris is soo hard on himself it isn't healthy and it will prevent him from improving if he continues to be like that.

Also I don't think he has the soft mitts to score 30. If he had taken half a second more, since you know there wasn't a goalie, he would've scored on Ryan's play. He put it in the only place he should not have put it.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Look, this is a young team. These kinds of huge momentum shifts re going to happen in the game for them.

The real problem is how much we overachieved last year. If it was an 82 games season playing the entire league instead of just the eastern fodder, we would've missed the playoffs by a mile.

Expectations are just too high right now.

This is the pivotal 'fallback' season. The team will take a step back compared to last year. If we panic and destroy our foundation now, we have no chance of competing for a championship in the next few years. We have to take our lumps and keep developing and working through it.

ffayyca

Nov 6, 2010
I don't disagree with you, but some of the stuff people are saying is absurd. You're going to get fleeced in any Spezza trade because his value right now is awful. People go on about trading Spezza with the expectation that we're going to get a game breaking player back, but also disparage the guy as useless at the same time - well, what is it? Is he a bum that isn't even worth a bag of pucks, or is he worth an elite return?

I think murray is facing a tough situation with spezza when his contract is up for renewal. With his age and health issues, he would probably want retirement contract with similar numbers and he won't be worth it in a couple years. I'm wondering if we can keep ryan and make him part of the leadership core and trade spezza for a reasonable return in the offseason or next season.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
If I'm Ryan's agent there is no way I let my client re-sign with this bunch of losers and this cheap owner. He's much too good a player to put up with this horse manure.

This is what I was thinking as well.

What happened to this franchise, man.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I think murray is facing a tough situation with spezza when his contract is up for renewal. With his age and health issues, he would probably want retirement contract with similar numbers and he won't be worth it in a couple years. I'm wondering if we can keep ryan and make him part of the leadership core and trade spezza for a reasonable return in the offseason or next season.

We're definitely handcuffed until at least the end of his contract. What are you gonna do though, strip him of the C? So awkward.

I was pumped for Spezza to get the C this year. But now I'm becoming a doubter too.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We are a puck possession team without the puck possession. How wonderful.

We were a puck possession team.

It's coaching, not a 20 man collective regression of puck handling and passing ability that is the reason we aren't playing a puck possession system again.

MacLean can blame the players for their lack of work ethic, but the system he's put in place just ain't working.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Spezza being the captain isn't the problem like we already give him pathetic wingers... Does any other forward captain play with such crap?

We need to spend some money and bring in help

Golden

Haven't we suffered enough?
May 3, 2007
I don't really think the issue is that we're not playing well, so much as it's we're not playing well in a year where we don't have a first round pick. Not to say that we can't make the playoffs but if we don't, that makes the situation that much more dismal because we don't get the benefit of sucking and drafting high.

That might explain some of the overwhelming negativity.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Look, this is a young team. These kinds of huge momentum shifts re going to happen in the game for them.

The real problem is how much we overachieved last year. If it was an 82 games season playing the entire league instead of just the eastern fodder, we would've missed the playoffs by a mile.

Expectations are just too high right now.

This is the pivotal 'fallback' season. The team will take a step back compared to last year. If we panic and destroy our foundation now, we have no chance of competing for a championship in the next few years. We have to take our lumps and keep developing and working through it.

The sens overachieved last year but thats because they missed their supposed to be best players in karlsson, spezza,michalek and even anderson,now that they got them back, logic says they should improve. They also traded for a goal scorer in Bobby Ryan. Nobody expected the sens to be a stanley cup contender but they also shouldnt be playing this bad. The expectations was for the team to contend for the playoffs, right now they look like a team contending with edmonton for the first pick overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad