Post-Game Talk: Sens @ Flyers - Nov 19, 2013

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Lol at all the Spezza bashers. Like the team is seriously going to strip Spezza of the C because of this.

The game sucked and they should have pushed back but at least there's a game tomorrow. This would all be much worse if we didn't have another game for a week.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Lol at all the Spezza bashers. Like the team is seriously going to strip Spezza of the C because of this.

I don't think Spezza should be stripped of the C and I still think he's our most talented forward.

However, he played a very uninspired and ineffective game.

exv91

Oct 13, 2011
The team collapse after the non-goal by Turris says a lot about the team's confidence and morale. Our goals against says a lot about our D. We're not a high scoring team, but I think we need some more veteran presence on the blue line. Guys like Phillips, Gryba, and Cowen are killing us.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

I was one that preferred Spezza to be captain over anyone else on the team, but he has been pathetic this season. He looks good in one game and looks like complete garbage for the next three. His game hasn't changed for the better at all.

Last edited:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I think that Spezza is honestly a good part of this team's leadership core, but admittedly (by both Spez and Alfredsson), Alfie filled the "lead by example" role of leadership, and Spezza was the "voice in the locker-room" guy. It worked because they split the duties, IMO: if the guys had a problem in the locker-room, Spez was the guy, if they needed someone to inspire them, it was Alfie.

Problem is, while I'm sure Spezza is still a dressing room leader and still the voice of the team, there's no one to fill the role of "veteran guy to settle the room down". I feel pretty strongly about the fact that if we KNEW Alfie was going to walk as a UFA, we would never have traded Gonchar's rights, and would have made a point of trying to keep him around. We lost two HUGE veteran presences in Gonch & Alfie, and we have not filled those roles with anyone.

Spezza isn't a great leader, but he's far from a bad one, either... problem is, the team lost a specific dynamic that it hasn't found a way to replicate/ replace, and Spezza might never be the guy to do it.

Agreed with all of this.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I don't think Spezza should be stripped of the C and I still think he's our most talented forward.

In a nutshell. To his defense though... that's how he plays. Like Bonk also says above, Spezza doesn't play the "lead by example" role very well which Alfredsson was a master it.

It could change though. Remember the Alfredsson back in the day when people saying Alfie for Conroy? However Alfredsson was still known to be great defensively he just never tried as hard which was still better than Spezza is now.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Btw, how about that Zack Smith, eh? Like Bonk said, his game is day and night better compared to what it used to be. He is just a dominant force in the center ice now and real smart with the puck. Neil and Greening on his line kill any form of offensive consistency though. Greening has looked better.

Honest opinion? I think both he and the team have given up hope that he'll ever become an "elite 3rd line C" as far as point-production goes, and he's embraced the other parts of his game that he used to do well, and for a long time stopped doing.

I much, MUCH prefer the "defensively responsible, hard hitting,100% effort but limited offensively" Zack Smith to the "trying to do too much, sucks at everything, takes stupid penalties" version that we'd seen far, far too often over the last calendar year.

sens613

Apr 12, 2012
Anyone else think F it try spezza on the wing with smith. Smith is strong defensively and gets back faster.

I know everyone says spezza can't play wing , but really it can't make things worse right?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Zack Smith was carrying the puck well, and more importantly, he wouldn't just throw it away. I was impressed.

Golden

Haven't we suffered enough?
May 3, 2007
The good thing is that they can immediately try to turn this around tomorrow. They had a decent game for the most part. It was just that when momentum swung in Philly's favour they took advantage and we didn't when it was in ours.

We all know we need help on defense and perhaps some leadership but there's no quick fix trade that's going to help this team. The have to fix the internal issues - mental mistakes, team defense, improving on special teams - before they can look for outward help.

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa

I don't disagree with you, but some of the stuff people are saying is absurd. You're going to get fleeced in any Spezza trade because his value right now is awful. People go on about trading Spezza with the expectation that we're going to get a game breaking player back, but also disparage the guy as useless at the same time - well, what is it? Is he a bum that isn't even worth a bag of pucks, or is he worth an elite return?

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
it'll be pretty hard to turn this around tomorrow since Minny is actually a really good team compared to Philly.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
If the Sens continue to play like garbage, Ryan doesn't even think about signing here and I wouldn't blame him for a second. We have next year to make it up, but it would be nice to have 2 years of playoffs. I don't see any motivation to sign with this group for him though.

Unless he is the next Captain....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->