Post-Game Talk: Sens fall to the Fishermen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stef*

we gave up 2 games where we had a 2 GOALS LEAD going into 3rd period

how do you call that???

PESKY OPPONENTS????

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Phillips played 25:30 mins and Methot with just 17:30 :help:

On the flip side, Lehner played unreal again despite making way more saves than he should have

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
we lost in alfie and gonchar 45 century of calming and focusing experience that was undeniably utmost important

but then again if we dont tighten the D corps a lot were screwed:shakehead

Just got home from the game and many of those shots had little to do with the D corps.

Many of the forwards are doing very little defensively and man are they playing soft.

The first shift and the last two shifts the Sens played liked they wanted to win, after that it seemed like most of the forwards were sleep walking.

spezza111*

Too bad players didn't get contracts new yearly, then you might see some effort out there

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
And how do you know? How do you know a bonafide top 4 dmen won't make this team a little better?

A bonafide top 4 Dman isn't going to fix the fact that many forwards are doing little to nothing in the D-Zone for great periods of the game.

Would love to know how Murray gets whoever this top 4 D-man is as well, and what assets Murray has that pries this guy loose from his current team.

Last edited:

arglebargle

Feb 27, 2008
Phillips is horrendous and management is completely blind to it for some reason. It is beyond frustrating. I'm sure he's a great guy and all but he should not be getting big ES minutes, nor should he get any PP minutes at all.

Stef*

On Robin Lehner:

Every time Robin plays he's busy, but that's good, he's a big guy and he can keep playing and I thought he was real solid in the net tonight and he gave his teammates an opportunity and I thought he really competed.

Hows that so good?
were putting him at risk
I sure for one thought the main reason for playing was to win?:shakehead

Slow Hands

The feels
Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Man this team is bad. What the hell.

Any sort of rhetoric about this team being better without Alfie is totally gone. This **** is embarrassing.

Milan the God*

Pretty embarrassing game. Giving up two 2-goal leads to a winnable team. Allowing 57 shots.

That marks the third game in the season already where we've given up a two-goal lead. Toronto, Chicago and now the Islanders.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Ok. I agree on that. He shouldn't be traded, but he definitively needs to sit.

Last thing Cowen, Weicoich, or Gryba need is to sit IMO.

These kids have to play to get better, sitting them isn't the answer.

IMO Cowen and Gryba were actually not bad tonight, contrary to what I have read here. As a matter of fact they were the only two D to not be on the ice for a GA.

Phillips & Karlsson were on for 3 goals against, Methot & Weircoich for one.

When a team gives up 19 shots by the opposing D, how in the world can anyone conclude that its the D-corps that is the problem?

Sure the D is making mistakes, but those mistakes aren't adding up to 57 shots against.

The fact is the Islanders four lines outworked, outmuscled and outskated the Sens forwards for all but about 6 shifts.

Last edited:

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
2 50+ shots against for Lehner. I'm not saying Paulrus is a bad coach but this is on him: the system he thought would work isn't and isn't for all sorts of reasons.

We need to focus on defense and we need to get the forwards playing 200ft games

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Last thing Cowen, Weicoich, or Gryba need is to sit IMO.

These kids have to play to get better, sitting them isn't the answer.

IMO Cowen and Gryba were actually not bad tonight, contrary to what I have read here.

When a team gives up 19 shots by the opposing D, how in the world can anyone conclude that its the D-corps that is the problem?

Sure the D is making mistakes, but those mistakes aren't adding up to 57 shots against.

The fact is the Islanders four lines outworked, outmuscled and outskated the Sens forwards for all but about 6 shifts.

I agree with you 100% on the forwards, but Cowen is making crucial mistakes on almost every shift. Missed pucks, missed passes, just overall clumsy. Sometimes sitting out a game and getting a different perspective on the ice works wonders.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Ok, I'll play. So what would you call it when two players lose a match-up to the degree Cowen/Gryba did tonight?

Maybe time to get the old eyes checked. :)

Goal #1, #3 and #4 against were scored while EK and Phillips were on the ice. On goal #3 and #4 Phillips was chasing ghosts up near the blue line leaving his side wide open and on #1 he let Tavares beat him to the net for an empty netter. Goal # 2 was scored against Wiercioch and Methot.

On the plus side, in their defense EK and Phillips were on the ice for the Sens 1st and 2nd goals. EK and Wier were on the ice for the Sens 3rd goal. I don't know which D get the plus on the 4th Sens goal. The play starts up the ice with Gryba and Cowen as the D but as MacArthur is about to make his turn around the net before scoring Phillips and EK come on the ice. Neither of them had any part of the play but maybe they get the + for doing nothing.

Maybe you didn't notice but sometimes when they looked overwhelmed they were on the pk. Not to say the young guys weren't outclassed at times but they didn't allow any goals against. It wasn't a bad game by Gryba. Cowen has been out of position more frequently in other games than tonight chasing a hit along the boards.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Start a petition to force maclean to ice a defensive system again

This is what they need. 5 man units playing D and let each guy do his job. Arms in the air telling other guys what to do should be rare if ever done. Also if you are a D, no more skating out of your own defensive lane to chase phantoms at the blue line. Each one has a job and should already know it.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I agree with you 100% on the forwards, but Cowen is making crucial mistakes on almost every shift. Missed pucks, missed passes, just overall clumsy. Sometimes sitting out a game and getting a different perspective on the ice works wonders.

I disagree, yes he is mishandling the puck on occasion, but he missed almost all of last year and it it going to take time, as it is with Karlsson and Spezza.

People are finding fault with what I see as easy targets in Cowen, Gryba, and Weircoich.

However for all the complaining about Cowen and Gryba they were the only pairing not on the ice for a GA tonight and both were physical and aggressive offensively.

The Phillips/Karlsson pairing were on for 3 of the 4 goals against and the problems weren't all Phillips either.

For this team to make significant improvement, the forwards are going to have to commit to playing a 200' game for 60 minutes.

IMO until that happens it doesn't matter who sits and who plays, the results will not differ significantly.

plasticman2000

Nov 1, 2013
So much doom and gloom!

Agreed this has been a painful stretch but look on the bright side everyone! The east is so terrible right now we are barely out of a playoff spot despite this horrific start. Yay terrible east!

Granted I have seen little improvement from game to game but the reality is there are 69 games left this year. That is a ton of hockey.

One 3-4 game win streak and everyone will be happy again.

Now can someone please get Spezza a winger to play with that isn't falling down 90% of the game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad