Post-Game Talk: Sens fall to the Fishermen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savannah Skunk

Nov 21, 2006
Off the banana farm
Fact of the matter is this team is in deep deep ****. Its a combination of attitude, system, youth and some disappearing acts that are happening nightly. Tonight capped it off, it showed me this team has some serious problems.

Its not Melynk's fault....was he coaching or playing tonight?

Agreed. It's partly a management fault and a coaching fault. Alfie's departure was a serious blow the to the leadership of this team. The team needs to redefine its leadership and rebound, but many have underestimated the value and intangible contribution that Alfie brought to the team. Aflie should not have left (partly Management including Melnyk). Coaching should be able to overcome this, but thus far, it feels that the real issue is who leads this team ON THE ICE (the Jack Adams winner is not the issue).

agent2421

Feb 3, 2008
Ottawa
Agreed. It's partly a management fault and a coaching fault. Alfie's departure was a serious blow the to the leadership of this team. The team needs to redefine its leadership and rebound, but many have underestimated the value and intangible contribution that Alfie brought to the team. Aflie should not have left (partly Management including Melnyk). Coaching should be able to overcome this, but thus far, it feels that the real issue is who leads this team ON THE ICE (the Jack Adams winner is not the issue).

It's not a surprise Alfy left and I know people are pissed at him, but the story is so flawed that both parties don't make sense. I'm inclined to believe that it was more Melynk's fault with the low balling offers and then when it was too late he tried to do something last minute. Also it's not a surprise he chose Detroit (who spends right to the cap) rather than Ottawa who is 26th... If he wanted to win the cup he made the right decision. It's the best fit for him even though other teams like Pittsburgh might have had a better chance at the cup.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Phillips played 25:30 mins and Methot with just 17:30 :help:

On the flip side, Lehner played unreal again despite making way more saves than he should have

Sure he is making plenty of saves but the number of rebounds is troubling. There's a reason why the sens have given up 50 shots in 3 of his 4 games.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Sure he is making plenty of saves but the number of rebounds is troubling. There's a reason why the sens have given up 50 shots in 3 of his 4 games.

I'm with you on that, but I don't think anyone can say that despite the amount of rebounds or shots he got, he wasn't anything short of spectacular. He could be helping himself more by improving his rebound control, but he's only 22 right now he has plenty time for that. Watching him play just screams 'elite' to me, I can't even imagine where he will be when he'll be in a couple years or at 28-30 when he's entering his prime.

The point of my post was, a guy who has shown little hockey IQ (in terms of defense at least) this season shouldn't be ahead of a talent like Methot. IMO if anyone complements an offensive weapon like EK, it's a shutdown talent like Methot.

HockeySens

Feb 22, 2013
Its depressing to watch the sens play in their own zone its like they have no defensive structure, forwards are everywhere and the defenseman seem to lose their guy. By far the worse pairing defensively was karlsson/phillips, beat out gryba/cowen by a hair

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
Spending to the cap on who exactly?

No one ever answers this question! People gripe about how Melynk doesn't spend money but who was out there during free agency that could make this team better now?!?

And don't say Alfredsson because that was not a spend issue, that was a minute who felt slighted and refused to negotiate.

dingbatz

Apr 20, 2013
I'll be happy as long as we're able to retain all of the players we need to when their contracts are up. We have a lot of talented young guys in our system with bright futures and I want to be able to hold on to some of them.

pown

We are team
Oct 12, 2013
Ottawa
Its ridiculous that cowen got the praise he did just because hes big. Thats honestly a stupid mindset thats going on the nhl right now. Hey are you 6'2 +? Cool. Come sign for a couple years im sure you will do well since you were born bigger then everyone else! Even if you got the hockey sense of a ****ing hamburger, you deserve the millions! Sorry, no. People shouldnt get a better pass cause their slighty bigger, thats idiotic. I would play better then he will if i picked up hockey as a youngster, hes got no common sense.

John Holmes*

This is hardly the time to give up on Cowen. He is just struggling badly, and probably a stint in Bingo would do him some good.

He's had games where he was an absolute boss out there. He's got it in him.

KAPOW

has no rispeck
Nov 12, 2008
at home
i hate this team for leaving lehner in the rain.

there are some very substitutable players on this team which i wouldnt miss the slightest.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
such a terrible game and team effort. Our goalies are not the problem, Lehner and Anderson are fantastic and if we had a competent D we might actually win some games. I would not trade either one, because we need them both with this mess. ****ing Melynk is to blame for this, what we really need is another Top 4 D and because of our "budget", we can't. I'm not blaming Maclean for this mess and this organization would truly lose itself if they put the blame on him. He is our coach and should be our coach long term, the main problem is Melynk and his crybabyitis for not having cash.

Yes, we desperately need a top 4 D (possibly two of them), but it's not a simple matter of throwing money at the problem.

Only way to get a couple top 4 D is to trade for them. Give up assets. Have a willing trade partner.

Yeesh, if it was as easy as writing a cheque or waving a magic wand in the air it would be done already. :shakehead

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Yes, we desperately need a top 4 D (possibly two of them), but it's not a simple matter of throwing money at the problem.

Only way to get a couple top 4 D is to trade for them. Give up assets. Have a willing trade partner.

Yeesh, if it was as easy as writing a cheque or waving a magic wand in the air it would be done already. :shakehead

I think JML could come in be signed long term and do well for us.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Sucks to get a tie game out of this but considering the number of shots allowed, Sens should feel lucky. Of course the Isles would get bounces (2nd goal) and rebounds (3rd goal). Isles 1st and 4th goals were just great plays. I wouldn't look to play the blame game on those. I mean, the other team deserves credit for good plays too.

Still think the team can turn it around (but never thought they were heavy cup contenders because of the lack of experience and leadership mainly), but the longer they wait, bigger the winning streak will need to be.

This team will fight to make the playoffs but the new divisions will really make it hard for them

Didn't even look like they were trying on that shoot-out lmao.

MM 6/21 now on shoot-outs. Why do coaches keep putting him in? Is he suddenly going to start scoring on them.

Where's Silf and Bish when you need a good shoot-out win????

6/21 is actually decent. Probably better than league average

Michalek is 175th in career SO % (total of 416), tied with Tavares, Zidlicky, Eller, Brassard, Ott, Nugent-Hoplkins and Stalberg

http://www.nhl.com/ice/shootoutstat...toutSkaterCareerTotals&sort=shootingPctg&pg=6

Me too. You dont realise how much good **** he was doing for us until he left.

That's only because some people have no idea about what this game of hockey is. All that time I gladly defended Gonchar and his contributions. Knew I had to

That being said, Gonchar is not eternal and has almost 40 years old. We had to let him go at some point (like Alfie who I wish retired instead of going to Detroit). Gonchar would be among the biggest scapegoats if he was still there, that I can promise you.

Slightly off-topic, but I looked up the attendance numbers - tonight's is the lowest since November of 2003.

Personally, I wouldn't mind to see the franchise move to Quebec (who was my initial favorite team). A few bad seasons and it might happen :)

It's clear that Ottawa has a very weak fanbase and it's not clear if they really deserve a NHL franchise, particularly since it's a Canadian team. I mean who the **** hates more the players than they love them? (Outside of Alfredsson and Karlsson the golden boys of course*)

* well, they're probably my 2 favorite Sens of all-time as well

Depressing. Waste of time sitting up watching our D **** things up every singe game.

Yup. D is so ****ing bad, how can they let the opposition take 57 shots on goal? I mean the 2 D-men on the ice should be everywhere on the ice at the same time preventing the other team from shooting

Makes sense. :innocent:

People raging on defense when it's a team defense problem.

The shootout choices are pathetic. I agree with Ryan and can forgive using Spezza although I wouldn't have used him tonight. However forget Michalek and use (in this preferred order) Z-Bad, MacArthur, Turris or even Conacher.

MacArthur is 0 for 11 in career SO

Shiny new toy syndrome? Michalek has been here for a while and is crap while new players and other team players are great? No, they all would be imperfect as well if they were here.

Do you guys really think people will not crap on Turris someday (Zibanejad is Swedish so it depends)?

You know what, i would actually put more of the blame on the gm than the coach. This "go with the kids" philosophy works more on teams that are starting a rebuild, not ****ing finishing one. I kind of knew from the start this go with kids approach would kick bite us in the back eventually. It seems to be happening sooner then i thought.

Please explain how do we move from a "go with young guys" philosophy to whatever you would like to?

For the Sens, it's live or die with the youth. Simple as that. Young guys cost a lot less and elite teams are rarely built from the FA, and anyway who wants to come and play in Ottawa? Stars on the decline (Kovalev, Gonchar, Corvo), injury-prone players (Latendresse), 3rd tier players (MacArthur) or depth guys (Lundin)

Good luck trying to build a winning team in Ottawa via FA

The Fuhr*

If the Sens had money they could have signed two top four D this summer... That would make a substantial difference

Stef*

Its melnyks fault that he cannot afford to ice a proper team. We needed a top 4 deam and a top 6 wingers and possibly another top 6 winger. We only got one top 6 winger because of melnyks stupid budget.

Come on

We dont need more players we need them to play together

We manhandled alfies wings with 5 units cohesion because everybody showed because we were afraid to lose

5 units better defensive play
The scoring will come
Stache get us back to last year defensive play plzzzz

Whippet

Feb 6, 2013
Its annoying that we've scored 9 goals in 2 games but only managed to get 1 point in those games.

Things need to change.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I think Neil needs to be replaced, and its just getting more evident.
Yes, he provides some leadership. But its clear hes way too slow to keep up with the game anymore.
A top 4 D is needed.

To all who are bashing Phillips. Karlsson was awful tonight. Was out of position ALL night, giving the Isles loads of scoring opportunities.

What about we reduce ice-time for Neil so he can just be an intimidating presence and hits everything in sight?

Phillips is really hated on here for some reason. His restaurant must suck lol. I mean the guy played 1086 games for the Sens, is +79 overall, almost never miss games and has always made about 3.0 per season for all his UFA time. Yes he is not in his prime anymore and really gets more responsibilities and ice-time that he should at this point in time but anyone who thought he hasn't been a great soldier for the Sens all the way is out of his mind. He deserves a lot more respect than he does, but respect is rare nowadays.

And at what point, should Phillips be blamed for everything? In the GDT, I saw people blaming Phillips for the 4th goal against... He covered the puck carrier but other players (includes forwards) took too much time again to realize it and no one was in good position. Easy to always blame Phillips I think

I declare Phillips and Neil as your Sens HFB 2013-14 scapegoats!

Anyway, MacLean is not playing them properly maybe I don't know

PS : Phillips has always been a slow starter

We're 8th in the east.. pathetic hahaha, Turris/Ryan are fantastic and Smith played real well today, waiting for Cowen to have one good game. He has sucked so bad its crazy =/.

Since when being 8th is "pathetic"?

Again, I missed another memo that says the Sens are an Elite team and should be right there with the Pens and Bruins...

Meanwhile, Conacher continues to suck and Bishop is having a Vezina type start to the season

Great logic. Let's play 3 goalies at the same time. It's allowed.

Or maybe you're right and Andy/Lehner suck?

For the record, Karlsson's defensive game sucks too. At times, he doesn't seem to be all there for some reason, like daydreaming or something back there, and losing guys all night long...

Well, maybe hockey players are human beings and have personal problems too? Not sure, maybe I am onto something...

Just got home from the game and many of those shots had little to do with the D corps.

Many of the forwards are doing very little defensively and man are they playing soft.

The first shift and the last two shifts the Sens played liked they wanted to win, after that it seemed like most of the forwards were sleep walking.

Took 159 posts for someone to figure it out... wow

Last thing Cowen, Weicoich, or Gryba need is to sit IMO.

These kids have to play to get better, sitting them isn't the answer.

IMO Cowen and Gryba were actually not bad tonight, contrary to what I have read here. As a matter of fact they were the only two D to not be on the ice for a GA.

Phillips & Karlsson were on for 3 goals against, Methot & Weircoich for one.

When a team gives up 19 shots by the opposing D, how in the world can anyone conclude that its the D-corps that is the problem?

Sure the D is making mistakes, but those mistakes aren't adding up to 57 shots against.

The fact is the Islanders four lines outworked, outmuscled and outskated the Sens forwards for all but about 6 shifts.

Yup, Cowen and Gryba boxed out the opposition to give them mostly perimeter shots

No idea why PM goes with Phillips-Karlsson, this pairing has no chemistry

It's weird but it seems that the defense and forwards are really out of sync when it comes to team defense... They need to play as a 5-men unit and not 2 different entities. Forwards are really making the life of D-men miserable.

Also, why do the opposition throw absolutely everything they can at Lehner? It seems like everytime someone has the puck (even if very shortly), they shot on Lehner. Is it because they think he can give bad goals/rebounds or because they think he is too good and need to get him tired asap? I think it's more the latter, and they're playing % as to something has to eventually go in (like it did on the crappy 2nd goal)

Finally, I feel I can talk hockey. Good read

I disagree, yes he is mishandling the puck on occasion, but he missed almost all of last year and it it going to take time, as it is with Karlsson and Spezza.

People are finding fault with what I see as easy targets in Cowen, Gryba, and Weircoich.

However for all the complaining about Cowen and Gryba they were the only pairing not on the ice for a GA tonight and both were physical and aggressive offensively.

The Phillips/Karlsson pairing were on for 3 of the 4 goals against and the problems weren't all Phillips either.

For this team to make significant improvement, the forwards are going to have to commit to playing a 200' game for 60 minutes.

IMO until that happens it doesn't matter who sits and who plays, the results will not differ significantly.

Cowen is quickly becoming a scapegoat and everything he does bad is amplified. The game against the Hawks glorifies it.

Cowen reminds of a young Braydon Coburn, who was quickly traded. So will the pressure make us trade Cowen too quickly? Could be.

Its melnyks fault that he cannot afford to ice a proper team. We needed a top 4 deam and a top 6 wingers and possibly another top 6 winger. We only got one top 6 winger because of melnyks stupid budget.

We only have 1 top-6 winger? So we should have 4 Bobby Ryans on the wing? lolz

I seriously have no idea in what kind of fantasy world you guys live in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad