Post-Game Talk: Sens fall to the Fishermen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Replacing gonchar with corvo is a massive downgrade and Neil and Smith are 4th liners on a championship team. I don't mind Phillips but he's a #5 dman at best at this point in his career, sort of reminds me of Jason Smith in his last years.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
A quick question what happened to Condra, I heard that he pulled a muscle??????????????????????????

Also I think that Ottawa made a mistake letting Andre Benoit go not just for his play but he is a good man who works very hard. Something that Ottawa could use right now.......

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Some guy took out Condra just after he scored sliding on the ice...looked like Condra fell awkwardly on his leg.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
You guys think it could be like the Red Sox or Cubs? The Alfredsson curse?

Because we traded him?

You should read up on some history. Google search "babe Ruth".

I think you're taking it a bit too literally. The cubs curse was caused by a goat, I'm not suggesting that someone is keeping Stuntman Stu from bringing his goat to the CTC either. Just saying the departure of the guy who should have retired a Sen as a curse. Doesn't require a trade (or a goat).

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Believe me my friend, you do not. Even though he would be a slight improvement over what we have... his 5 million would make you eat your own hair.

He's literally a Corvo at this stage.

Replacing gonchar with corvo is a massive downgrade and Neil and Smith are 4th liners on a championship team. I don't mind Phillips but he's a #5 dman at best at this point in his career, sort of reminds me of Jason Smith in his last years.

Just checked out how Gonchar's doing this year... 13 games, no goals, only 1 assist and he's a -5.

I think you might be right RKL. :laugh:

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Karlsson was lost defensively. He made a couple stellar defensive plays but looks like he just doesn't care to be honest, or he realizes his partner sucks so much that he doesn't want to bother covering for him. HOWEVER, with the puck he was very responsible and very effective. 2 assists(both lead directly to their respective goals) 1 hit, 1 takeaway 0 giveaways.

This is exactly what I feel too. On many occasions he seems to compete at 50%, instead of 100%.

John Holmes*

Hey guise common they're just people trying hard u no.

Lay off you armchair quarterbacks!

Be nice.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Just checked out how Gonchar's doing this year... 13 games, no goals, only 1 assist and he's a -5.

I think you might be right RKL. :laugh:

He is struggling on a new team. Doesn't mean he would struggle here. He was very good his last two seasons and few fans wanted him to stay which blows my mind considering the positive impact he had on the team.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Hey guise common they're just people trying hard u no.

Lay off you armchair quarterbacks!

Be nice.

It's clear that you're joking but it's actually true

Thinking that a kid in his parents basement would do better than the coach, GM or players is very childish and hence is why they are still kids. Those guys are the best. If not, I would say "why the heck are you not in the NHL then?"

Also, I think that people who play "the armchair GM" are trying to compensate for a total lack of socio/cultural/economical impact. Just a "psychosociological" guess

It's up to you to choose what you are made of.

Last edited:

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It's clear that you're joking but it's actually true

Thinking that a kid in his parents basement would do better than the coach, GM or players is very childish and hence is why they are still kids. Those guys are the best. If not, I would say "why the heck are you not in the NHL then?"

Also, I think that people who play "the armchair GM" are trying to compensate for a total lack of socio/cultural/economical impact. Just a "psychosociological" guess

It's up to you to choose what you are made of.

Not that I don't agree with the general idea, but the bolded is a bad question. NHL players, just as much as NHL management get where they are, in part, because of contacts. Especially management. Reseau social is what it's called in French.

You can have all the talent in the world and not be spotted. Goes for playing and managing(more for managing).

That's all I wanted to single out :innocent:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Not that I don't agree with the general idea, but the bolded is a bad question. NHL players, just as much as NHL management get where they are, in part, because of contacts. Especially management. Reseau social is what it's called in French.

You can have all the talent in the world and not be spotted. Goes for playing and managing(more for managing).

That's all I wanted to single out :innocent:

Yeah, thought about it after I closed the thread, but you're right to point it out. Sometimes you can get drafted I guess (Brad Peltz). However I think it worked a lot more like that before as in the "new era", teams tend to hire the guys who proved themselves

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Well, there is the fact that you have no say in the matter.

Maybe, maybe not

Anyways, not that you care, but I don't mind you as a poster so much as I tend to have an opposite perspective from you and enjoy arguing with you.

I tend to see the game the same as you do, but don't get wrapped up in what I wish could/would happen. Some players frustrate me more than others, but that really is life. I don't questions whether the guys are trying, if anything guys try to do too much instead of play fast and loose.

Some players are more intense and determined, and that's what makes them better, I wish they all played hard like Crosby, but that's just not possible as we can see. Is it because several hundred players decide to take tons of nights off, or is it because it's a character trait that some have and some don't. I want Cowen to play like Pronger, but I don't think he can, not that he chooses not to.

After loses the board explodes into insults and rash comments, with all the regular whipping boys taking the heat. I get it, some get more involved emotionally than others, and some take a lot longer to cool down than others.

I try and provide a little balance, through sharing my own perspective and opinions.

If you took the time to read this, thanks, if not, no worries ;)

Drama

Feb 8, 2010
Ukraine
With the lines looking like they do right now, I can't help but think he is changing to get everyone playing the same system regardless of who is on the wing and also finding players who might have chemistry.

People need to realize this is an 82 game season and calm down. We aren't loosing games because we are a worse team then who we are playing, the reason we aren't winning is because of mistakes... Mistakes can be fixed as the season goes on. Zibby was sent down at the start of the season not because he was bad but because the team wanted a little more out of him and saw a chance for him to develop more, they weren't worried about missing a key piece because the plan is still working towards a future. Please people, stop acting like you are bipolar and just let the team keep working.

Last edited:

John Holmes*

Dude...how much developing do you think Zibanejad did in 6 games?

You don't have to drink the kool aid all the time.

The plan is supposed to be to win now. The notion that the team sacrificed wins to develop Zibanejad in Bingo for 6 games is ludicrous.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North

The plan is supposed to be to win now. The notion that the team sacrificed wins to develop Zibanejad in Bingo for 6 games is ludicrous.

Very true but I will add...... To start the year it came down to a numbers game. As we all know, there were 2 waiver exempt forwards in play. Pageau outplayed Z-Bad in preseason and there was enough lack in Z-Bad's game for him to be the one sent down.

It's not so much that it helped Z-Bad's hockey IQ but I believe it made him realize he wasn't going to get a free ride and he's the better for it. I guess if you count that as "development" then in a way it did help.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Zibanejad was sent down because he was complacent. Upon his callup, he hasn't looked that way, so I guess it worked. 6 games of icing a worse lineup to teach him a lesson seems to me to have been a pretty neutral move, but we'll never know because we don't know if he would have stepped up the intensity once the regular season started anyways.

Honestly both sides of this argument need to check their superiority complex at the door.

John Holmes*

Well I don't agree that he did anything that warranted his demotion, and I'm hardly alone in that.

Still, to suggest that the team intentionally weakened itself to teach Zibanejad a lesson, or that 6 games is enough to do anything is pretty ridiculous, regardless of which side your superiority complex has you on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad