Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I honestly do not care for predictions.

So...........

3204840swsw.gif

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Wat? If you haven't noticed the sports business is pretty cut throat. If you can't do it, there is usually 2 or 3 guys in line who can and will replace you in a heartbeat. It's all about winning. Not some bleeding heart sentimentals of what once was.

Bottom line is the guy can only play a solid game after he's been sitting for a while it seems. No one is attacking him personally, just the fact he can't keep up anymore.

This is such a weird thing to say. If Hockey shows us one thing, it's that it's a fraternity that is quit loyal to it's members, and is resistant to outside influences and general change.

Incidences of 'cut-throatness' are few and far between in the NHL (Lou), and even when owners are pushing for the dollar, GM's and management almost always make humanistic decisions (sending players to preferred destinations, freeing players to pursue a career elsewhere, etc).

This idea of the NHL being a cut-throat business is only reflected in fans cut-throat business decisions in their video game management. The real world NHL does NOT reflect this mindset. The most cut-throat people in hockey are the fans, and only those entitled fans who are predisposed to look at players as objects, there for their pleasure.

What such posters should say is that they WISH the NHL was cut-throat, because then some of the changes that they clamour for, that have no chance of happening, could happen.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
You know i always thought this place would be more civil when Fuhr finally decided to go cheer for another team or got perma banned. But it just seems that others have taken up the cause :P

Ah well, one down at least.

Fuhr was always very civil: he was a contrarian but a respectful one. People were always calling him names but he never shot back even after some dbag went a found his real profile somewhere and posted it so he could make fun of him and a lot of others joined in.

Holmes was the rude one

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
What ever happened to Fuhr?

Did he finally fulfill his promise of never coming back here again until Murray got fired?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
we're getting very close to the point that the playoffs will be impossible if we continue to play like we're playing

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Got ban hammered. Not sure why, though.

I never agreed with him but he always made things interesting. I also agree that no matter how heated the debates got he never made any personal insults.

Speaking of tanking did anyone watch Erie and London last night? Mitch Marner sure is one crafty player out there. He looks a lot like RNH and not just the number his skating style and slippery passing is what I noticed. If the sens can get to number 5 he will probably be there. He looks pretty special to me and from everything that I've read/heard/watched he could be the first line talent this team is lacking.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
fuhr repeated things things over and over (that you could predict all his posts) with agendas and intentionally ignored responses. he contributed to the negativity here

the negativity has died down a bit i think with Spezza gone, and Cameron making lines that a lot of posters would make

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Fuhr was always very civil: he was a contrarian but a respectful one. People were always calling him names but he never shot back even after some dbag went a found his real profile somewhere and posted it so he could make fun of him and a lot of others joined in.

Holmes was the rude one

Look, I think what it comes down to is that civil or no, when you never have anything nice or positive to say, some people no longer want to deal with you, or prefer you in minuscule doses.

My reality is, this is entertainment, something that i read about, watch, and talk about, because IT"S FUN. Why in the world would I want to whine and complain all day everyday about something that is supposed to inject some enjoyment into my life. If it was weighing me down, I'd have to find something else to occupy my time that better served me, especially since I am paying for it.

Now lots of people use the Sens as they're dumping ground for grumpiness from other facets of life, or use the board to shed their Sens related anger before reengaging with the physical world around them, and I get that.

One person's dumping ground is another's source of joy. What I have noticed is that this place is more and more about dumping, pretty much non stop, and very little joy. Sure the team isn't doing well, but that's the cyclical nature of professional sports. We had a decade of being a top team, and now we can't have a few mediocre seasons, where at least we're on the upswing, without our little community becoming a non-stop thunderstorm?

This isn't about being allowed to criticism the team, this is about this board, and several very vocal posters, being negative towards everything and anything, where the prospects of the team going forward is ever so grim. They have a right to be here, as do I. the problem is, posters like myself tend to post less and less because it's often such a drag to read the same negative crap in every thread, and so what happens is this place becomes nothing but a sounding board for the most negative posters, smattered with people adding some timely criticism. The end result is a cacophony of negativity.

But it gets worse too. It has become OK to trash players as people, be rude towards players we once cherished, use words that are hurtful, all behind the cries of free speech and, "it's my opinion", or "so what, it's not like I meant it that way". This is nasty place sometimes, so much so that I would be embarrassed to have my real name attached to it should a real player for our team read so many of the things posted about them here.

Love the boards, love several of the posters here, but if being a Sens fan is brining out such negativity in people, it really should make one take a step back and have a look at themselves, and why they even bother.

We are what we are, find a way to enjoy the ride, or get off and wait until we're in a more palatable place for you. It only make sense.

My opinion.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
agreed with this

its actually disgusting how some people treat Phillips here when he was a defensive stud for us for years. Players notice how fanbases treat their own players

Man. WE don't treat Phillips like anything. He doesn't know us we don't know him. If I were to harass him personally and say he sucks then you cam say we treat him badly. We don't treat him poorly.were HF boards. Not the league bully

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Man. WE don't treat Phillips like anything. He doesn't know us we don't know him. If I were to harass him personally and say he sucks then you cam say we treat him badly. We don't treat him poorly.were HF boards. Not the league bully

This is the classic another-sheep-in-the-heard stance. Yes, you actually do make a difference, and every other poster just like you.

It's so cowardly to hide behind anonymity, and furthermore use it as a DEFENCE as to why you should be able to trash people.

Spezza was aware of the non stop criticism from fans, he was aware because of a collection of fans like yourself (mindset) who individually felt that it was ok and that they didn't matter. Don't blame the newspapers, they pander to you, not the other way around.

Last edited:

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
I never agreed with him but he always made things interesting. I also agree that no matter how heated the debates got he never made any personal insults.

Speaking of tanking did anyone watch Erie and London last night? Mitch Marner sure is one crafty player out there. He looks a lot like RNH and not just the number his skating style and slippery passing is what I noticed. If the sens can get to number 5 he will probably be there. He looks pretty special to me and from everything that I've read/heard/watched he could be the first line talent this team is lacking.

Mhm, I read somewhere (was it the main boards or in the draft thread?) that he had a great game last night. I haven't seen him play, though.

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
This is the classic stance from another sheep in the heard. Yes, you actually do make a difference, and every other poster just like you.

It's so cowardly to hind behind anonymity, and furthermore use it as a DEFENCE as to why you should be able to trash people.

Spezza was aware of the non stop criticism from fans, he was aware because of a collection of fans like yourself (mindset) who individually felt that it was ok and that they didn't matter. Don't blame the newspapers, they pander to you, not the other way around.

Ah, stop being so mean. :laugh:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
This is such a weird thing to say. If Hockey shows us one thing, it's that it's a fraternity that is quit loyal to it's members, and is resistant to outside influences and general change.

Incidences of 'cut-throatness' are few and far between in the NHL (Lou), and even when owners are pushing for the dollar, GM's and management almost always make humanistic decisions (sending players to preferred destinations, freeing players to pursue a career elsewhere, etc).

This idea of the NHL being a cut-throat business is only reflected in fans cut-throat business decisions in their video game management. The real world NHL does NOT reflect this mindset. The most cut-throat people in hockey are the fans, and only those entitled fans who are predisposed to look at players as objects, there for their pleasure.

What such posters should say is that they WISH the NHL was cut-throat, because then some of the changes that they clamour for, that have no chance of happening, could happen.

Totally disagree, and I was speaking in sports in general. Not just the NHL. You can find a multitude of examples in all types of sports, including the NHL, where the a veteran or any other player that could not keep up is usurped by a more potent player. A lot more than the one or two examples where the player is re-signed or played despite of being terrible at what he does. The Cleary example is another good one, but that is far and between.

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Good stuff. Hmm I wonder where (most of) these guys were drafted...

Crosby (1st overall)
Kovalchuk (1st overall)
Stamkos (1st overall)
Ovechkin (1st overall)
Thornton (1st overall)
Lecavalier (1st overall)
Spezza (2nd overall)
Malkin (2nd overall)
D. Sedin (2nd overall)
H. Sedin (3rd overall)
Backstrom (4th overall)
Iginla (11th overall)
Parise (17th overall)
Getzlaf (19th overall)
Giroux (22nd overall)
Perry (28th overall)
B. Richards (64th overall)
Datsyuk (171st overall)
Zetterberg (210 overall)
St.Louis (UNDRAFTED)

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Lol its fairly true, they aren't reading this stuff.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is the classic stance from another sheep in the heard. Yes, you actually do make a difference, and every other poster just like you.

It's so cowardly to hind behind anonymity, and furthermore use it as a DEFENCE as to why you should be able to trash people.

Why I should be able to trash people? Not wanting a particular player on the team is not trashing. It's my opinion. I can say it here. I can't it there. I can say it wherever I want. Doesn't make me a sheep. HF boards isn't my defence to why I can trash people. You sound ridiculous

I don't think I have any effect on the team through my posts. If I do. I mean I sincerely apologize to all the fans. My mean words (disagreeing with some team decisions) are bringing the players down

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Mhm, I read somewhere (was it the main boards or in the draft thread?) that he had a great game last night. I haven't seen him play, though.

It was only the second time for me, ive heard he takes the odd night off but not in the games I watched. He is really sneaky, unreal hockey sense from what ive seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad